cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire chains needed?

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
My 16 Ram has new Open Range tires coupled with 4wd. The NL is not the heaviest, but fully loaded I'm around 12k. If I head over certain passes in the right months I am required to carry chains (over 10k in CA as I recall). I dont think I really need them and would be unlikely to push it if the weather was actually bad. That said, I need to carry something to be legal. Any recommendations on something that would be small storage but effective when installed? Ideally something quicker to install would be better since I dont expect to use them regularly enough to get practice. It hasn't snowed in NW WA yet so prices haven't spiked. Would like to get before they do or find a sale if there is such a thing.

EDIT: tires are 295/70R18 if it matters
72 REPLIES 72

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
specta wrote:
Auto Socks look like they were made for a Prius. LOL

Do some research. They have been shown to work on big rig trucks too.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

specta
Explorer
Explorer
bkenobi wrote:
FWIW, Les Schwab has cables for 170ish and chains for 150ish. Gonna take a look tomorrow. Was about to order from the link but shipping appeared to cost over $40 for some reason.

Try Amazon, if you are a Prime customer free delicery.
I just now ordered these,

Amazon
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Auto Socks look like they were made for a Prius. LOL
Kenny

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, Les Schwab has cables for 170ish and chains for 150ish. Gonna take a look tomorrow. Was about to order from the link but shipping appeared to cost over $40 for some reason.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
brholt wrote:
I carry these:

Auto Socks

They seem to be allowed chair replacements everywhere and they are very easy to carry.
I have never had to use them so I can't comment on how well they work.

Those are interesting.....
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
brholt wrote:
I carry these:

Auto Socks

They seem to be allowed chair replacements everywhere and they are very easy to carry.

Those certainly look light and compact and if they pass for compliance that would be great. But, if you actually use them, I do wonder about durability. Seems driving on bare pavement with fabric socks wouldn't do well long term.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
In my younger day's I thought chains were awesome and loved putting them on and hitting the ugly as aggressive as I could.

I had two sets of Weed V-Bar chains, one set for the front and another for the rear.

I had a Detroit Locker in the rear and a Ford Trac-Loc with an extra clutch stuffed in each side of the carrier and a modified 400 cid.

It ripped thru anything............ :E

Then I grew up and today I hate chains.

And I just ordered a set of Diamond Back Chains for my current truck.
I've never had a truck that I didn't have a set of chains for.
I seriously doubt that I will ever use them.
About the only chance would be to wake up in the back woods with a good 18" of new snow on the ground and more on its way.
Kenny

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
specta wrote:
jshupe wrote:

My idea is that if I ever run into a situation where I need chains, I'll turn around or sit it out,

I would accept the challenge and proceed onward. :B

10-4...Can't get to the good snow without gettin into the good snow!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry these:

Auto Socks

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Or you could drive a 4x4 for when chit happens! Lol
Depending on gross weight, towing and conditions the 4WD does not exempt you from chain requirements.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
G-Dog wrote:
Or you could drive a 4x4 for when chit happens!

It was all the 4X4's stuck in the video's that got me thinking about the Maxtrax..Every single video was a 4X4 stuck and the Maxtrax got them out..

Besides,they look kool on a ladder rack..The majority of the video's I have seen,the Maxtrax gets them out except for one inebriated truck camper having to much fun..LOL
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jshupe wrote:

My idea is that if I ever run into a situation where I need chains, I'll turn around or sit it out,

I would accept the challenge and proceed onward. :B
Kenny

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
bkenobi wrote:
...Ideally something quicker to install would be better since I dont expect to use them regularly enough to get practice....

I have been pretty happy with the chains from Les Schwab (a Pacific NW tire shop chain for those located elsewhere). IIRC, they will sell you a set of chains for around $100 or so. If you do not open the carrying bag, you can return them after the snow season for a full refund.

I ended up getting surprised back in 2014 when I was in Eugene, and coming home to NW Oregon. I failed to note that the snow was coming from the south and thought I had plenty of time to drive home. Thus I had the car and not the truck. Ooops. All the freeways were dead stopped, so I took the back roads up the valley. The chains broke outside of Corvallis, so I went to the south Les Schwab that repaired them. That repair lasted until the north Corvallis Les Schwab, where I bought a new set that got me home. I left the old set with them to repair and stopped back there a few weeks later. They couldn't repair them so they handed me a new set. By coincidence they also fit the front tires on my Kubota tractor, so no complaints.

Yes, they are quick & easy to install. Do a test run before the snow hits to figure out the system. Once I learned how they worked, it is a no-brainer install.

HTH,
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
jaycocreek wrote:
Tire chains have always been part of my GVWR because chit happens and there are other uses for them..I carry heavy duty V-bars..I am considering getting a pair of Maxtrax(clones) because it seems I am always getting the call to help get someone out..Besides,they look Kool on the TC ladder rack..LOL

Or you could drive a 4x4 for when chit happens! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
jshupe wrote:
Just curious, because I've never had to deal with this before - do you typically have to have a set of chains for each tire on a DRW? Do you need them for front axle too? Do you need them for any trailer axles?

My idea is that if I ever run into a situation where I need chains, I'll turn around or sit it out, but I'd like to carry the minimum for legal compliance if ever needed.

Generally you just need a set of single chains for the outside tire of a DRW..And I do agree..In a bad storm just sit it out,that's the good thing about a TC or RV..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04