cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tire pressure monitor systems

GT_Roach
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't find much with a thread search but was wondering about how the systems that go inside the wheel compare to the valve stem cap type. And would also like to hear everybody's experience with these systems.
16 REPLIES 16

bmj11
Explorer
Explorer
TST507 for me also . Great system and long warranty.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the Tire Minder System #92-0400. $229. Mine will monitor up to 22 tires simultaneously, came with 4 sensors, and a signal booster. Very simple to install. They simply thread onto the existing valve stem. The battery in each sensor lasts a year, and is easily replaced. The company will send owners free batteries for 7 years (exchange program).

I bought mine here: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-wheel-covers/tire-minder-pressure-monitor.htm

Nice part is I can buy more sensors if I end up with a Class A, towing a Jeep once again. It can be used with the tow vehicle, and the dingy.

Wish I had bought this years ago. I've had several tire failures on our TT. The last one gave no indication it was coming apart. No smoke, couldn't see any tire chunks in the mirror, and no shaking. Had someone pull up next to us and point at the trailer. That's never a good sign! Glad they did... could have lost the other tire on the same side since it was being overloaded at that point. No worries now though.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
93Cobra2771 wrote:
Not that I've ever heard. I think most people don't even know what they are.

X2, and if you were to steal one, you would have to make sure it is compatible with your monitor. Lots of different sensors out there and they're not interchangeable. I never worry about mine getting stolen and forget they're there most of the time.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Not that I've ever heard. I think most people don't even know what they are.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a problem with thieft of the sending units?

carmelo
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Pressure Pro system with the external mounted sensors. I like this because: When I rotate the tires the sensors go back in the same place, I have them marked 1,2,3,4 so easy to place them in the same place on the TT.
I remove them when the TT is stored, this extends the life of the sensor and it is quick and easy to replace them. I do not have to recalibrate.

My experience, 4.5 yrs and lots of use, about 6-7 months per yr.

CCC
CCC
Pat and Charles C. Culotta, Jr.
Patterson, La.
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
EVERGREEN OWNERS GROUP

netaq
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the "TireTech ON Tire Pressure Monitoring System" back in April. It uses valve cap sensors. Worked well so far for about 2,500 miles.
2016 Sierra 371REBH
2016 Ram 3500 Big Horn 6.7/Aisin

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've got about 6000 miles on our TST 507. Zero problems. Ours is the flow through type. Personally, I would not have the interior type because I couldn't mess with it if I had to.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
x3 on the TST 507. I got the flow through sensor version. They have also customer service both before and after the sale.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

John_H
Explorer
Explorer
Like Ron3rd, I have the TST external mounted system, have had a coupe of glitches but over all just fine. The company's help is Excellent, had trouble setting it up there originally, called and he talked me clear threw it. Monitor is compact and I found a place on the dash, because of that, where it is easily read and heard if that occurs. When we go to an area two stay, say for a week or so, I un-screw them to save on their internal battery's, easy to do and to put them back in their places when ready to roll. Used the original shipping box, with each of their protected plastic cubbie pockets as a storage.
John H

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
GT Roach wrote:
I couldn't find much with a thread search but was wondering about how the systems that go inside the wheel compare to the valve stem cap type. And would also like to hear everybody's experience with these systems.

Not sure what you searched for but if you used "TPMS" lots of threads come up. Here is one you might find useful.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I have access to a fleet of vehicles to drive for the work I do. Most of these are equipped with the in wheel type pressure monitor systems. In the past two years no fewer than 6 of the vehicles have had a sensor failure in one wheel. This requires the dismount of the tire and replacement of the sensor. I seem to remember the invoice for one of the replacements was $280 parts and labor...but my memory isn't what it used to be. I know it was more than $100 because the fleet maintenance carrier had to be called to appprove the work.

For me I would go with the valve stem cap type external sensors just for the ease of replacement.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I considered the internal kit but the downside is if you have a problem, you have to dismount the wheel. I went with the external TST 507 system and it's been working fine for 3 years.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Pressure Pro (external) TPMS for the motor home and the toad. The toad was also factory equipped with internal TPMS for times its not being a toad. Both units have worked flawlessly. I wish there were some way of monitoring my Toad's internal TPMS on my Pressure Pro monitor when I'm towing it. Alas, ain't gonna happen.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....