cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

to make the gals happy

nephi007
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy. DW needs me to find a trailer with a single double bed for our 10year old daughter, a walk around queen bed and a 2 recliners instead of a jack knife sofa. She wants trailer 29 feet max cuz anything longer makes her nervous. A small slide would be required as well. I think I have looked at dozens and dozens of floorplans that combine some but not all of this stuff. The daughter refuses to sleep on the jackknife sofa anymore and wants her own bed.Is this something I would need to custom order from the manufacturer? Our tow vehicle is a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 with tow package. Advise please. Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Re the recliners they decided against - actually, I believe most recliners do lift apart...the seat portion and the back portion. However, there is just so much space in getting through the door. Re the emergency exit....don't know about their KZ that has a new home now, but when we did our PDI on our new Rockwood Ultra Lite, the tech said DO NOT PULL THAT LEVER!! He said the window is designed to fall straight to the ground and cannot be reinstalled...guess it's done by a dealer or back to the factory, OR there isn't enough trailer left to reinstall it anyway. Easy measurement would be to measure the seat portion from the floor to the top of the cushion and on the back part, just from the back side to the front....that's how much you can fit through the door. Without measuring, but looking at our recliner, you couldn't get it through the entry door with a shoehorn. Our swivel rockers in the TT are smaller, but I have the strong feeling that the trailer was built around the rockers. They're nicely padded and I can't see how they would have gotten them through the door. In addition, they were stacked together and wrapped with plastic, so they sure didn't some through like that. My feeling is that you either need to find a manufacturer that offers recliners at the build time or learn to love whatever is standard.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Vapor_Trails
Explorer
Explorer
jrichard wrote:
Having had both double/double and single/double, I see no advantage to a single bunk on top.
Unless a tall person wants to sit on the edge of the bed and not crack his noggin on the top bunk.
2018 Ram 2500 CCSB, 4x4, 6.7, 3.42
2019 Grand Designs Momentum 25G
2020 RZR Pro XP Ultimate
A day without fusion is like a day without sunshine.

jrichard
Explorer
Explorer
If you go rear bunks, I'd go double over double...you can use one of the bunks for storage and the other for your daughter. Having had both double/double and single/double, I see no advantage to a single bunk on top.

WRT the recliners, without exception I've never sat in an OEM recliner that is comfortable. I'd rather buy a trailer with a sofa, pull the sofa and replace with two comfortable recliners if I wanted to go that route. It'd be a little more expensive, but functionally it would be 1000x better than anything I've sat in from the factory. To do this, you'll probably want a deep slide model to make sure you have room for after market seating.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
the only recliners they could get that would fit through the door

Do you have emergency escape windows? May be able to use one of those? I have never removed one, can they be reinstalled?

Otherwise, you could remove an entire window, then reinstall it to get the recliners you want. Shouldn't be more than an hour to remove and an hour to reinstall- well worth the labor cost to get exactly what you want ๐Ÿ˜‰

Caboose66
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
Caboose66 wrote:
Opulence Home - Sidney Recliner

I think they are regularly $799.00 each but $499.00 each with your AAA membership... worth signing up just for that if you're not already a AAA member (no affiliation other than being a member).

That is one expensive fake leather recliner .... even with the AAA membership.

Yeah... I guess I missed the "BONDED" part of the description and just saw leather. My bad.

Sooo, how about some $500 vinyl chairs? ๐Ÿ˜‰

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Caboose66 wrote:

I think they are regularly $799.00 each but $499.00 each with your AAA membership... worth signing up just for that if you're not already a AAA member (no affiliation other than being a member).

That is one expensive fake leather recliner .... even with the AAA membership.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
We just made the move from our HTT to a Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604. This MIGHT be a solution for you. There is a real bedroom with a short queen in the front with wardrobes on both sides and cabinets above the bed across the full width - you can also get the 2604W which has a slide with a huge wardrobe area, but we didn't want or need that. The bathroom is awesome....it's between the bedroom and the living area. The living area is very spacious with a dinette - or they possibly have the table and 4 chairs now - a sofa bed with an air mattress with a built in pump that makes up into a very comfortable bed in about 2 - 3 minutes and 2 swivel rockers - note these are not recliners, but are very comfortable. These are at the rear with a large window behind. I was used to the extra-large kitchen area in the ROO 23SS and lost a bit of that, but the kitchen in the 2604 is very functional and has way more storage than you would think at first glance. It really is 26'4" for the box and 29' bumper to ball. Wonder where they get the numbers for models since some are nowhere near what you'd expect, but ours really is.

If you feel strongly about actual recliners over the swivel rockers, you could certainly make that change later without damaging the flooring.

It is listed on the RVW website or just go to the Forest River site. For us, it's the perfect TT. Lots of storage + exterior storage, real bed, great bathroom and a very comfortable living area.

2003 Ford F-150
Sam, you were the best!

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:
Look at a rear kitchen model. They usually have a large window with two recliners on the awning side, and most importantly the couch directly across is a hide a bed. They are externally comfortable and let out like a residential futon. Jayco and starcraft both have models like that.

I agree you are probably going to have to look at rear-kitchen models, but that typically limits secondary bed options.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Caboose66
Explorer
Explorer
Just got an e-mail with offers from AAA. I saw these leather reecliners that looked like they were relatively narrow (29") and thought they might be a good candidate for your application.
It looks like they are available in 4 colors so maybe one of the colors would compliment the decor of your rig. The swivel base looks like it would lend itself well to being secured to yhe floor.

Good luck, Dean

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Look at a rear kitchen model. They usually have a large window with two recliners on the awning side, and most importantly the couch directly across is a hide a bed. They are externally comfortable and let out like a residential futon. Jayco and starcraft both have models like that.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it would be easier to look for a bunkhouse model that has a 3/4 or full bed on bottom and single bunk on top. She could then bring along a friend or use the top bunk to put some of her stuff on. Also look for a trailer that comes with a comfortable sofa or sofabed and with one recliner. Sometimes you have to compromise on what you want and what you can afford. You use the sofa and let the wife have the recliner. Not sure why a 10 year old needs such a big bed, but I guess that is beside the point.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
My cousin and DH considered removing their sofa and replacing with a pair of recliners and found 2 problems - #1 the only recliners they could get that would fit through the door were Laz-y Boy and they were very $$$. The second was that when you start removing things that were bolted down, you have holes in the flooring, which means more $$.

Suggestion to save on the legwork would be to check out RV Wholesalers online. hey sell a ton of models from many, many manufacturers. Included are floorplans and usually interior and exterior photos. If you see something you like, you can request a price quote. From experience, I can tell you that they are good folks to deal with, no games - the price is the price. If you want to finance, they can handle that for you, too. On our first purchase from RVW, we saved over $4000 after travel expenses. We just made the change from a HTT to a TT and saves more than that. If you're not interested in the drive, they can arrange delivery, but would strongly suggest you pick it up in person. If you decide you're just not into visiting western OH, you can at least use those numbers as a bargaining tool at a local dealer. I know I've seen what you're thinking of, but for the life of me, can't tell you what manufacturer or model. Start with RVW. Happy shopping.

2003 Ford F-150
Sam, you were the best!

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
I was about to suggest the same as Turkil.

Our 27' has a double on bottom and single on the top. It has a small slide. It is one of few I have seen that you can actually use everything with room to walk around when the slide is in.

turkii
Explorer
Explorer
I think the hard part is getting a floor plan with the two recliners rather than a sofa. I assume you mean a sofa in the living area?

Have you considered buying a trailer that has the jackknife sofa ten modifying it yourself.... Just remove the sofa and purchase two recliners aftermarket. I have to imagine this would be less expensive than a custom order from a manufacturer.