cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toad behind TC?

luvglass
Explorer
Explorer
We live in a fiver and wife is thinking we should get a TC when we finally park somewhere so we can still do a little traveling. We know nothing about TC's but are wondering whether or not it's possible to tow a small car behind? Truck is a 2006 Ford F350 diesel dually.
Thanks,
Fred
Fred Wishnie
2006 Carriage Cameo 35KS3, 2006 Ford F350 diesel dually, fulltimer
See our blog at http://www.mytripjournal.com/wanderingwishnies
13 REPLIES 13

Paul_V1
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my Wrangler 4 down all the time with the camper on. I do have a even brake and a stow master tow bar. It is very easy to tow. You just can't back up for more than a few feet.
2001 GMC Crewcab Duramax 2500HD 4x4
2006 Outfitter Apex 9.5
1997 Jeep Wrangler

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
We tow 4-down with our CR-V or 64 Scout 80 all the time........no problems.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matthew_B wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
I flat tow a Samurai with my truck and TC. I have never had a problem.

Wayne

Did you add freewheeling hubs to the back axle? Someone in RV.net mentioned doing that, I just can't remember if it was you.
No, I did not add freewheeling rear hubs. I considered it for a couple of years. They make a kit in GB and Italy. Very spendy. I did add twin sticks in the t-case, to have a true neutral. I do not, and never have disconnected the rear driveline.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Matthew_B
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:

Wayne

Did you add freewheeling hubs to the back axle? Someone in RV.net mentioned doing that, I just can't remember if it was you.

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a 5er/toyhauler to a TC and a toad. We were using the truck as our "get around vehicle" when we had the 5er. Of course at the time, the truck we had was a 3/4 ton short bed and not a dually, making it easier to park.

We switched from the 5er to the TC as we had changed where we were going and what we were doing when we were camping. We spend very little time inside the TC.

Keep one important thing in mind - you are going to give up a LOT of storage space, elbow room and floor space when you switch. I see "fulltimer" in your signature. I would do some SERIOUS thinking and research before I would make the switch. If you are stuck inside for an extended period of time you will get cabin fever very quickly. Even with the slide on our TC, if DW and I are both moving around we are rubbing against each other. (not that there is anything wrong with that.)

Maybe you should think about a toyhauler and a SmartCar? Not trying to discourage you - just dont want you to spend lots of $$$ then later say "we made a bad decision!"
One beautiful wife -Trooper and Doc the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 Flatbed with 2013 Chalet TS116 http://www.brittanynews.us

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Matthew_B
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid behind mine. I just have to put it in "neutral" and make sure the brake is off and it's ready to go.

I can't see it, and I can't feel it. It is so much smaller than the dually truck that I don't even see it on some turns at intersections. I've freaked out more than once wondering if it's still back there because I'm expecting to see it when turning, but I can only see it if turning REALLY sharp. After a while I got used to not being able to tell if it is there.

thetroutman4
Explorer
Explorer
We, too, tow four down and Bill mentions the only 'difficulty' there is. Hardly know the Samurai is back there. Best part is there is no trailer or dolly to deal with at destination.

bilmarde
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a toad. A 2010 Honda CRV. When going down the highway you really don't know it's there. They only "difficulty" is that with a toad you can not back up so you have to be careful at fuel stops etc.

Bill D
2011 Ford F250
1998 Cari-Lite 31RK
1990 Chevrolet 3500 Dually
1995 Lance 945

kbaum
Explorer
Explorer
We too just returned from a three week 3,000 mile trip with our outfitter and toad 2013 jk wrangler rubicon great trip. Nice to have the toad once setup still completely independent .
2013 Northern Lite 10 cdse
2012 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins Crew Cab

Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (home)

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is real workable. The toad, four down, will put very little weight on the truck bumper. We just got home from a two month trip to the mountain west, pulling our Jeep Wrangler behind our Chevy/Lance truck camper. Covered right at six thousand miles with the combo, trouble free. It was great to have the Jeep with us for running the mountain jeep trails in Colorado, for the month we were there. We have a Ready Brake setup on the Jeep so stopping wasn't a problem.

Had some rainy days when the TC got small in the evenings but overall a great way to spend 60+ nights on the road this trip.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

bikerdib
Explorer
Explorer
When I first saw the title I thought it was going to be a nature story about a frog...

Sorry, couldn't resist ;^)
2014 Lance 865 with AC, door awning, all weather package, range w/oven.
2013 Cummins Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Crew Cab 4X4 with SuperSprings, Roadmaster anti sway bar, Timbren bump stops & Curt hitch extension for the motorcycle & PWC trailers.