cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

toilet water valve

Gary3
Explorer
Explorer
After flushing the pink stuff out of the water lines I noticed a leak coming from the top of the water valve only when I flushed the toilet. There is a hole right on top of the valve looks like its supposed to be there. Anyway I got a short bolt and pipe sealer and screwed it in and now no leak anyone have an idea what that hole was put there for.
Gary  Lance  1191 solar Gen.
13 REPLIES 13

Gary3
Explorer
Explorer
I changed the valve and used that white hose from the valve down to the tee on the floor. Also hooked up a shutoff in case something leaks in the future so far so good no leak.

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
I finally replaced the leaking valve on my Style Plus. The old valve had fine spider web cracks in it. I found out why when I went to reinstall the toilet and the supply piping didn't line up. BF had simply forced the pex into position, keeping a steady force on the valve. A little trimming of the pex took away the bind. If it leaks again, I'll look into a flexible hookup line, but I believe this will last much longer than before.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Gary3
Explorer
Explorer
I found a new valve today to have on hand when I decide to change it, I won't lose any sleep over having it hooked up with a bad valve that still works.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Basically a one way valve. The purpose is to keep contaminated water from potentially back flowing into source, however unlikely.

https://www.thetford.com/parts/rv-toilets/
Identify toilet model and parts (some toilets VB/flush valve are separate, some are combined in one unit-) then search on-line for parts.
I would not leave toilet connected to water source if I knew valve wasn't functioning or disabled.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
The explanations provided by phil-t/opnspaces and Old-Biscuit are contrary. Can someone else chime in on the purpose/function of this vacuum breaker?

Gary3
Explorer
Explorer
I guess that shutoff I installed will come in handy,just can't figure out how water can be sucked up from the bottom of the toilet. New valve will have to wait can't even go to an rv store and match it up.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Gary3 wrote:
Well it can,t suck anymore its plugged for good.

Actually now that it's plugged it definitely can suck toilet water back into your fresh water system.

Yes it would have to be an unlikely event of the bowl full of water so the fill hose in the bowl is covered. Then at the same time the fresh system has to lose pressure so that water starts flowing back toward the tank. If that happens you do not have a vacuum breaker to prevent siphoning water from the toilet bowl back into your fresh system.

Yes unlikely, but safety things are there for a reason. The manufacturer doesn't just put anti-siphon valves on the RV to pad their wallets.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
Which Thetford model? I just noticed my Style Plus is leaking from the supply side flush valve.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water goes to toilet water supply valve then goes up to the Vacuum Breaker then down into toilet when you flush
Hole in top of vacuum breaker closes off from water pressure

Then after flushing and toilet valve closes the vacuum breaker hole opens and allows water to drain down into bowl...that is where the water in bowl comes from

Water in bowl is a vapor barrier......stops black tank odors from coming backup thru toilet bowl seal
Water in bowl keeps bowl seal from drying out...leaking

Vacuum breaker is there by Design....replace it.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Gary3
Explorer
Explorer
Well it can,t suck anymore its plugged for good.

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Vacuum breaker valve? Keeps the water line from sucking water from the toilet (in a bad event) into the water lines.
2014 Allegro 36LA

Gary3
Explorer
Explorer
No its a thedford toilet I made a 2in hole in the plastic above it so I could see in there and its just a 3/8 hole with no threads if you push down with a screwdriver its spring loaded what ever it's for.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like a place a spray hose option attached . Might have had a block off that finally leaked . Does it have a spray hose now ? Just a guess.
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed