cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tonneau cover

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Looking into getting a Tonneau cover for TV but I want to keep it on so it needs to clear the FW. I don't want the roll ups because the Velcro doesn't last that long and the security when closed. What works and what doesn't. Again Thanks.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD
17 REPLIES 17

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
TonnoPro user here. Going on three years and still works like new and looks good too. For less than $300 bucks it has done everything I wanted. Wow!!! Just checked for a link and they have them on sale for $249 here.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Deep_Trax
Explorer
Explorer
C130 wrote:
Retract Pro, can stop it at any position, locks, looks great, doesn't limit turn angle for a 5th wheel like the Bakflip which takes up a good 6"-8". But, they are expensive and everyone's opinion is different. There are lots of good bed covers but I like the Retrax the best from what I've owned.

I'm guessing C130 meant Retrax (vice Retract) Pro which is what I have. I got the MX model which is flat black vice gloss black. It looks great, is very solid, and is true one hand operation. Locks in any position. The only thing not to like is the price.

One thing many people, including dealers, don't know is that you can choose from 3 different side rail options when you order one. You can get a wide rail that covers stake pockets, a narrow rail that partially covers stake pockets, or a wide rail with cutouts for your stake pockets.

After owning a Retrax Pro, I'd have a hard time settling for anything else.

C130
Explorer
Explorer
Retract Pro, can stop it at any position, locks, looks great, doesn't limit turn angle for a 5th wheel like the Bakflip which takes up a good 6"-8". But, they are expensive and everyone's opinion is different. There are lots of good bed covers but I like the Retrax the best from what I've owned.

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
Just put a Tonnopro trifold on my 15 RAM. I like it but have not towed with it on. Previously I had a Tuff Tonno 3 on my 01 Ram. At 10 years I replaced the vinyl. I liked the zip lock closure on it. I went trifold this time and hope it works out.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a tri-fold vinyl cover (tonnopro) and are very happy with it. Covers the hitch and stuff in bed when not pulling, runs in folded up position in front of the hitch when underway.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Tri-fold style tonneau's should work for you. I have a vinyl one, as I am mostly concerned with keeping stuff dry and clean, not preventing theft. With the tri-fold you can fold it back so only the front third of your bed is covered. They have fasteners that easily hold it in place when opened. Super easy to close and cover the bed when you aren't towing too.

X2 I have one and I love it.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tri-fold style tonneau's should work for you. I have a vinyl one, as I am mostly concerned with keeping stuff dry and clean, not preventing theft. With the tri-fold you can fold it back so only the front third of your bed is covered. They have fasteners that easily hold it in place when opened. Super easy to close and cover the bed when you aren't towing too.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Retrax cover, rolls up and can be locked in any position. I usually keep the firewood in front of the hitch so I can cover it going down the road if ts raining.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit. So far, I like it.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:
Not sure if you're opinion is based on what you've heard or your experience but just offering an opinion - I ran with my Truxedo roll up Velcro for 6+ years. Parked outside 100% of the time and it worked perfectly the day I sold it. The Velcro worked like it was new.

The security thing will never be as good as with the hard tops for sure. I was able to completely hide a 5th wheel hitch with the cover as well which was pretty nice. I bought an identical cover for my new truck and after 1.5 years it's doing great.
+1 Love my Tuxedo cover.

My 04 has a truxedo, and after more than 10 years it is starting to show some age, but the velcro works fine. there is some cracking in the vinyl, and it isn't as shiny as when new, but it has been outside most of the time. All in All I'd say it held up real well. still is pretty watertight. Just isn't as nice looking or as secure as the fold up covers. But then it isn't as expensive either.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
Not sure if you're opinion is based on what you've heard or your experience but just offering an opinion - I ran with my Truxedo roll up Velcro for 6+ years. Parked outside 100% of the time and it worked perfectly the day I sold it. The Velcro worked like it was new.

The security thing will never be as good as with the hard tops for sure. I was able to completely hide a 5th wheel hitch with the cover as well which was pretty nice. I bought an identical cover for my new truck and after 1.5 years it's doing great.

I bought one for my new '03. When I bought my new '11 I moved it to that truck. The velcro was showing some wear so I called Truxedo about replacing it. They informed me that it had a life time warranty and sent me new velcro inserts for free. I am still using a cover
I bought in '03 and it looks and works like new. I'll never buy any other brand because this one may never wear out!

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:

+1 Love my Tuxedo cover.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit hard roll cover on mine. Goes over the 5th wheel hitch when not towing to hide all in the bed and can be locked. With tailgate locked it provides pretty good security. Can be rolled partially open and locks every 6". I sometimes roll it back just in front of the hitch when towing to hide stuff in the front of the bed. 5er overhang hides most in the rear of the bed.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer