cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topper awning collecting rain water = annoying

Drum
Explorer
Explorer
I had topper awnings installed on the slides by a large dealer a few months ago. I love the awnings but the larger one collects rain water and cups down so that the water has to be pushed out prior to closing the slide. It's a good bit of water that falls out. The smaller one doesn't do that at all. Is there some kind of tension adjustment that will keep the awning taught during heavy rain? It's quite annoying, especially with the amount of rain we're experiencing in my travel areas these days.
Gary in Western NC
13 REPLIES 13

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
We have had water, ice and one time 7 inches of snow on our topper. Weighs it down but like previously said it just rolls off when you pull it it. The main goal is to keep it off the top of the slide for when you bring it into your trailer.

Happy camping.
Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller

Drum
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus, I wondered if that may be part of it. The slide is long to accommodate a sofa and dinette, plus it's kinda deep as well. When extended, there's not nearly as much angle as with the smaller one that doesn't collect water. In a light rain, it all rolls off, but when it rains hard is when the flow overwhelms the slight angle and pools up. Since it was a very well-known dealer who did the work, I may ask if there's anything they can do. I'm not sure it's worth more holes, though, if it would require remounting.
Gary in Western NC

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
One other thing I have read is to make sure the part of the topper that is attached to the trailer is mounted as high as possible so it helps increase the angle of the material. Some installers don't mount it as high as possible and then you end up with a nearly flat angle.
Something to think about before the installation I guess for those in teh future that may self install.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
When I installed my topper I added an extra turn in the material against the spring. It stays tight enough that water never collects on it.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
That's what they are suppose to do...water collects on the slide awning and not on the slide roof.

Retract your slide about half way after a rain storm and the water will shed off the awning and be gone...

Slide awnings have extra material and are spring wound so that they can flex down with a water pool.

x2. or
1) reach up with a broom handle under the awning and lift it a little to drain before retracting.
2) run the tongue jack up or down before retracting to let the water run off.

I don't bother doing anything till I'm ready to leave. then I do (1) or (2) above or just ratract it a foot or so and stop and then most of the water will drain off.

I don't use balls, noodles etc. because more than likely I'd forget they were on top then retract and squish them.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Ask that pesky neighbor to come over and listen for a creek when you retract it in!! Only kidding , like stated already, there is no reason to get the water off before its time to roll up camp... It is better then having all that debris and water to sitting directly on the roof of the slide...Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Drum
Explorer
Explorer
Okay thanks I'm kind of new to this. I just assumed that it was supposed to run off instead of collect. I was also afraid of pulling that load of water into the room with the slide as it dumped. I'll try not to worry about it any more.
Gary in Western NC

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
As previously posted, awnings are meant to collect the water vs. it collecting on the slider roof.

I never worried about it: just retract, perhaps slowly to ensure no one got deluged by the runoff.

I did carry a beach ball tied to an old broom handle for the very rare instance when the trailer wasn't level and the awning would be self-dumping towards the door.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Can't see ANY reason to empty the water before retracting the slide room. It will roll up and the water will run off AS you close the slide room. If you have a deep slide like mine, the awning does not have a large pitch and this makes it nearly impossible to NOT collect water and/or luff in high winds. Very shallow slides don't have as much of this problem. Even ICE will roll right off as the awning rolls up and the slide is retracted.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
That's what they are suppose to do...water collects on the slide awning and not on the slide roof.

Retract your slide about half way after a rain storm and the water will shed off the awning and be gone...

Slide awnings have extra material and are spring wound so that they can flex down with a water pool.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

tomdinwv
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps you could contact the dealer that installed them and see if there is an adjustment that you or they can make. Good luck

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Some people put pool noodles or beach balls under the awning. I never worry about it but make sure no one is standing there when you bring the slide in unless you want to soak them.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen people put beach balls and other things between the slide and the cover. In a way it kinda defeats the purpose of having the cover
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150