cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Advice F150 1/2 ton

mike5150
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a Wildwood 27RKSS Gross Weight 7720 lbs Dry Weight 6355 lbs My F150 as far as I can tell can tow 8000 lbs it is a XLT 4dr SuperCrew 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 3.31 E-Lock Electronic Locking Rear Axle Ratio Is this to much TT for this truck I know I am pushing the envelope we have never owned a TT before any help would be very much appreciated Mike

UPDATE I understand this is to much Trailer for my truck Just trying to learn so

The yellow Sticker Door Jam says The combined weight of occupants and card go should never exceed 1661 lbs Is that the magic number for total hitch weight of TT and passengers and gear If so does
2013 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 3.31 E-Lock Electronic Locking Rear Axle Ratio
30 REPLIES 30

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone has pretty much said it...that's not enough truck.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Since you asked, please think upon, . what I have written in my signature line below. And then I think you will find your answer.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
If it is good for 75 miles (one way) then it is good. Period. Safety begins at the driveway. I happen to think the OP would be happier with more truck or less trailer.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
You'll be around 7000lbs by the time you load up propane, batteries, food, clothes and gear. Maybe more. Tongue weight will be around 900-950lbs. It will be a load with the 3.31 gears. BTDT with a 2010 F150 5.4 and 3.73 gears. I know the 5.4 is down on power some compared to the 5.0 but with the 3.73 gears I'm betting it pulled as strong. You'll be in 5th and 4th most of the time, which is not that big of a deal. BUT @33' long and weighing 7000lbs it will move that truck around. Especially with the stock P rated tires which have squishy sidewalls to give the truck a nice soft ride.
If you do get that TT you should invest in a top quality weight distribution hitch. Something with built in sway control.
JMHO but I wouldn't want to tow that heavy and long of a TT with that truck for longer distances. I would do the shorter trips like 50-75 miles one way. But if you're planning on doing some long distance traveling like 2-3 days of traveling then I would suggest something smaller or a bigger truck.
You should also check your CCC sticker on the door jamb. Lots of times trucks with the lower gears have lower payloads. If you're in the 12-1400 range and drop 900lbs on the rear of the truck you won't have much left for passengers and gear in the truck.

Good post here! Truck will work for a weekender that stays close to home, but not best for long distance towing.

Jerry
There is no problem with pulling anywhere you want at 100 percent of max payload. Max mean exactly what it says.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike5150 wrote:
mbopp wrote:
Short story - not enough truck. It's not about the tow rating, it's about payload and especially rear axle rating. And this is compounded by the fact this is a S-crew - how many people and how much gear are you hauling?

What's the yellow payload sticker on the driver's door frame say for your rating?

The yellow Sticker Door Jam says The combined weight of occupants and card go should never exceed 1661 lbs Is that the magic number for total hitch weight of TT and passengers and gear If so does

That 1661# is TOTAL Cargo Carrying Capacity
That includes your weight above 150#, weight of ALL other passengers, weight of ALL stuff in cab (backpacks, bags, stuff in floor/under seats, etc.), weight of hitch/ball shank and the trailers tongue weight (12%-15% of trailer GVWR)

Also what is trucks RAWR, GVWR and Rear tire Load rating?

Run out of payload LNG before reaching that magical mfg. marketing dept. max tow rating
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like you will be right at the max to me. Could be a few pounds over on payload depending on what else you put in the truck. Only way to know when this close is to load it up and put it on a scale. Trouble is then you own it. I would do it but can't really recommend it.

mike5150
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
Short story - not enough truck. It's not about the tow rating, it's about payload and especially rear axle rating. And this is compounded by the fact this is a S-crew - how many people and how much gear are you hauling?

What's the yellow payload sticker on the driver's door frame say for your rating?

2013 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 3.31 E-Lock Electronic Locking Rear Axle Ratio

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
goducks10 wrote:
You'll be around 7000lbs by the time you load up propane, batteries, food, clothes and gear. Maybe more. Tongue weight will be around 900-950lbs. It will be a load with the 3.31 gears. BTDT with a 2010 F150 5.4 and 3.73 gears. I know the 5.4 is down on power some compared to the 5.0 but with the 3.73 gears I'm betting it pulled as strong. You'll be in 5th and 4th most of the time, which is not that big of a deal. BUT @33' long and weighing 7000lbs it will move that truck around. Especially with the stock P rated tires which have squishy sidewalls to give the truck a nice soft ride.
If you do get that TT you should invest in a top quality weight distribution hitch. Something with built in sway control.
JMHO but I wouldn't want to tow that heavy and long of a TT with that truck for longer distances. I would do the shorter trips like 50-75 miles one way. But if you're planning on doing some long distance traveling like 2-3 days of traveling then I would suggest something smaller or a bigger truck.
You should also check your CCC sticker on the door jamb. Lots of times trucks with the lower gears have lower payloads. If you're in the 12-1400 range and drop 900lbs on the rear of the truck you won't have much left for passengers and gear in the truck.

Good post here! Truck will work for a weekender that stays close to home, but not best for long distance towing.

Jerry

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
With a 7720 lbs GVWR trailer you are going to have about 925 lbs of tongue weight. Now you need to know what the yellow door sticker on your truck says. That will tell you if you have enough truck.

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
like others mentioned you need all the info. Payload is where it's at, you will run out payload long before you max out tow capacity and the closer you get two the maxes the less enjoyable the tow is. From the info provided my guess is it wont be a pleasant experience.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Really need to know the GVWR of the truck. However the 3.31 rear is a tow cap killer
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I think a SuperCrew Cab, 5.0, with 3.31 gears would also be a hindrance.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your max payload capacity is 1455 lb. If the tongue weight is 1150 you have only 300 lbs left for cargo, passengers etc. Not enough wiggle room.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Max case, you could have around 1150 lbs of tongue weight. What is the payload capacity of your F150? How many passengers will you have and what do they weigh. How much stuff are you going to put in the back of the truck and how much does it weight. Don't forget that your hitch and weight distribution unit will add another 100 lbs to the sum of all those.

Forget the "tow capacity"... just a mfg sales gimmick. Payload capacity, RAWR, and GVWR will be the figure you need to be concerned with.

Good luck

Ron

ps... you're looking for advice....not advise.
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....