cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing into the Wind

skidooman93
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from a 1200 mile one way trip to Glacier National Park and back. We were fortunate to not have to deal with head winds to often.

My question is, how does everyone deal with days when you have tows with lots of hills and strong head winds. How do the diesels perform when towing up the rolling/semi steep hills of Montana while heading into a strong head wind.
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.7 Cummins, 68RFE Rear Air Suspension
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.4 Hemi 4.10's Rear Coil Springs (Sold)
Anderson UCH
2014 Open Range 367BHS
1 wife, 1 Son, 1 Daughter, 1 Red Lab that wont come in the camper because hes a big baby, so he stays home.
33 REPLIES 33

womps
Explorer
Explorer
Gas engine = 425 pounds torque. Diesel engine = 925 pounds torque. Question answered!

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
It's rare to have no wind on North/South on I43 in WI between Milwaukee and Green Bay. 30 mph head winds are common. We go that way a lot into Door County. It's equally rare to have the wind pushing us. It seems when we head north it's a northerly wind, and a southerly wind when we head home.

That said it's only a 22' 4500# trailer, I get about 8.5/9 mpg heading into the wind. I get 10/11 with no wind. Occasional downshifts when heading up a hill in the wind. The dreaded "P" rated truck tires (Not the same as the "P" rated tires on your cushy Buick) don't wobble or sway. If I had a 30' trailer, then yeah, LTs are called for.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
skidooman93 wrote:
But just curious how the new diesels perform with a large 12k lb full frontal 5th wheel, a strong headwind and long hills?

Well that is me, 12,000 lb tall 5th wheel. Like others have said... my signature rig just uses more fuel...still has plenty of power. My previous f250 gasser would struggle big time with a headwind. I went up I70 through the rockies in 4th at 60 mph. Power is incredadiable.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Its scarry to say the least. We pulled into Vegas earlier this year just as a monster wind storm hit. Lucky we were sheltered behind a big Class A but as people arrived at the show grounds you could tell it was a war zone on the freeway. Many broken windshields and awnings missing on coaches and trailers.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
My truck struggles more with the mountains than the wind. My guess is it takes more energy to pull 10,000# up a 6 percent grade than buck a 25 mph headwind in the gorge. The headwind tanks the fuel economy more but then again you aren't climbing 6% for 70 miles! The wind has never moved my rig but I have never experienced the 50-60 mph stuff. Hope I never do.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
We get them sometimes coming back into san diego county from the imperial desert area. I just put the pedal down a little more and move to the left one lane so as not to be constantly merging past slower rigs.

It does drink a bit more fuel but if your worried about mpg RVing isnt for you.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Deal with it by drinking more. Me and the truck!
Seriously they really stink with the TC. Just the noise and the wind trying to s uck the doors off the truck is annoying. Have to slow down.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Even with 500+ wheel horsepower, you feel a headwind. Just uses a bit more fuel. Still would have no problem accelerating quickly to pass if necessary.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

Bedlam
Trade winds run west to east. If you didn't hit them going to Glacier, you will either have no wind or a tail home.

Your engine will run harder to keep the same speed which will result in lower fuel economy. If your engine is marginal when towing in no wind, it can be enough to cause overheating. You either need to slow down or wait out the heaviest wind.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

skidooman93
Explorer
Explorer
The OP does not have a diesel didn't buy one on purpose. Sway from wind has never been a problem nor has power. However I can see power being an issue with my gasser bucking a strong head wind and having to deal with decent sized hills. Just wondering if the diesels struggle too or its business as usual. Until this summer all of my towing has been in the flat lands of Minnesota where wind direction is predictable and hills are relatively mild. And the hills we have are few and far between. But just curious how the new diesels perform with a large 12k lb full frontal 5th wheel, a strong headwind and long hills?
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.7 Cummins, 68RFE Rear Air Suspension
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.4 Hemi 4.10's Rear Coil Springs (Sold)
Anderson UCH
2014 Open Range 367BHS
1 wife, 1 Son, 1 Daughter, 1 Red Lab that wont come in the camper because hes a big baby, so he stays home.

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
Seems when I come west from Albuquerque, MN on I-40 to Flagstaff, AZ (which I do often) I'm always bucking 30 plus headwinds. I have done this in both gas & diesel 3/4 ton trucks, and while I use a little more fuel the diesel does not notice the wind. Doesn't even down shift gears. It just keeps moving right along. Sadly I can not say the same thing for the gasser. It was a constant fight to keep the truck doing 62MPH.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
Head winds help when going downhill, don't have to use the brakes as much if at all. Seems like in So Cal Deserts we are always dealing with winds of one kind or another and rarely is it a tail wind.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
OP has a diesel? How bad can it be?

I just set the cruise and deal with it.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
I had one stretch thru the Columbia River gorge with my diesel but I had my old 27 foot bumper pull that was probably 10k. I was getting around 6 mpg even after I slowed down to 55. I was stable and never worried about sway, but my fuel took a hit. Coming back a few days later I got over 10 at 65 going the other direction.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Some trucks/large SUVs do NOT use LT rated tires. Changing to LT tires on your TV make a big difference in sway.