jcagle72401
Explorer
Explorer
has anyone used this or similar to pull a forrest river hyperlite xlr 29hfs
12 REPLIES 12

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Z71 isn't a specific truck it's a trim package you could add to most models. Bilstein shocks, a skid plate and decals...Whopee!..No more horsepower or torque. For a few dollars less you could just buy the decals...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

APT
Explorer
Explorer
SouthpawHD wrote:
APT wrote:
I can't think of any half ton that should pull that RV. So if that is a 2500 HD, go for it.

Why not?

I'm not saying all 1/2 tons are properly equipped or should, but I'll bet you that many of current models have more HP, torque, towing capacity, and more payload than a previous generation 3/4 ton Sub.

The highest receiver ratings for half tons is 1250 pounds I believe. That trailer will exceed it before adding toys. Then you run into rear axle ratings and payload/GVWR. So even your truck which has some of the highest RV-limited ratings for a half ton, I still do not recommend.

Do people exceed those ratings? Every day. I do not think it is wise to tell some random RV newbie on the internet with limited RV towing experience to start off at/over those ratings.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
jcagle72401 wrote:
its a 1/2 ton but what I am asking has anyone here done this, not if its capable, I know it will I was wanting to talk to someone with experience with this setup

I've seen this many times on this forum and I scratch my head every time. Maybe you can answer this question for me:

Why does it have to be the exact same truck with the exact same trailer? A 1/2 ton GM truck pulling a 10,000lb GVWR travel trailer is the same the world around.

If you have specific concerns or questions, just ask them. The solutions are the same regardless of truck or trailer.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
jcagle72401 wrote:
its a 1/2 ton but what I am asking has anyone here done this, not if its capable, I know it will I was wanting to talk to someone with experience with this setup

You would get more input by asking those with your specific truck (and give the trucks specs).
Then give us a specific GVWR for the trailer.
The truck doesn't know what brand trailer its pulling.

I would ask the mod to move you over to the toy hauler forum if the trailer is a TH. Someone over there may have the same truck/trailer combo.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jcagle72401
Explorer
Explorer

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
I can't think of any half ton that should pull that RV. So if that is a 2500 HD, go for it.

Why not?

I'm not saying all 1/2 tons are properly equipped or should, but I'll bet you that many of current models have more HP, torque, towing capacity, and more payload than a previous generation 3/4 ton Sub.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
jcagle72401 wrote:

I don't see how. The model is so new that Forest River hasn't even put all the specs on it up yet.

From the models on either side of it, I would expect the GVWR to be around 10,000lbs and the "dry" weight to be around 7000lbs.

If you load light and travel alone or maybe with one other person, it would be within the capacity of a 1500. I personally don't like towing more than about 7000lbs with any sort of 1500 pickup. This trailer is already at this point before you even load a pair of socks. For me it's getting to the point of being uncomfortable to tow. Just too mushy and sluggish, even with the WD hitch and everything set up right.

If you are taking a big family and loading the trailer up with toys, you really need a 2500.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:

Agreed. But without knowing that it's a 2500 or a 1500 everything else in this thread is just a WAG.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Before the anti 1/2 ton truck folks scare you off just remember any truck has the ability to carry a load and pull some type of trailer. Simply depends on the numbers.

I won't guess at your trucks size but looking at FR Hyperlite toyhauler TT web didn't give the trailer GVWR....just the dry hitch weight of 1032 lbs which may grow to 1500 lbs plus.

This much hitch weight means a .....
... '00-'06 1500HD Z71 8600 GVWR ....6000 RAWR...E tires and wheels ...3xxx lb payloads will work
... the new 1500 with the NHT package (higher GVWR/RAWR) will also handle that size trailer.
... and of course the 2500/3500 HD Z71 HD trucks will have no problems either.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 37', 14,000 GVWR 5th wheel with a 2009 Chevy crewcab, shortbed, 4x4, Duramax. This is more trailer than you're discussing and it towed just fine. A 2013 will have better towing capacity - unless it's a gas engine and then I wouldn't waste my time trying to tow anything big.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
towing with 13 gmc ext cab z71

Not enough info.
Engine size ?
Gear ratio ?
1500/2500 ?
Trucks GVWR/FAWR/RAWR and tire options ??

Not enough info.
Need the trailers GVWR or dry weights or hitch type (Bumper or 5th wheel).

Its best to post all those types of numbers for your particular truck and the trailer.