Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing with a 2013 Tacoma

gmann1972
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, new to this site.

Has anyone towed a travel trailer with a Tacoma. I just purchased a travel trailer, dry weight is 4400lb and gvw of trailer is 6000lb, my truck is rated for 6500lb, I did purchase the weight distribution system and an electric break control. I haven't picked up the camper yet from the dealer, just wondering what I may be up against towing this trailer with my truck.

Thanks

Greg
13 REPLIES 13

Forellan
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to second the comments made by harr0007. Same year Tacoma with factory tow package towing a Rockwood 4650lbs loaded scale verified. I added the aftermarket tow mirrors, sway control and had Deaver rework the leaf springs (was not eligible for the TSB). I needed to be very conscientious regarding weight and limit what we took with us but found the Tacoma a very capable tow vehicle the majority of time. I found that head winds and altitude were the Achilles heal with this set up. Served us well for several years until we replaced the Tacoma with an F150 eco boost.

harr0007
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Tacoma long wheel base 4dr 4X4 rated to tow 6,500 lbs. I tow a Rockwood Ultra Lite trailer model 2604 with a dry weight of 4,700 Lbs. My tow experience has been very good. Extremely stable no sway at all and sufficient power. I have towed coast to coast over the Sierra Nevada Mountains and the Rocky's. From the SF bay area I have towed this package all the way to Nova Scotia, and down the Appalachian Park Way. You will need a great brake controller, I use the Prodigy, and an anti-sway hitch, I use the equalizer (I have never had any sway what so ever even in high winds). The downside is on steep long climbs. I just crawl in behind the big rigs and ease up the grade. I crest steep climbs at 35-40 MPH. I rarely exceed 2,800 RPMs. On the flats I drive 55-60 MPH. If I keep the speed at 55 I get right at 13 MPG. Pushing the speed, hills or head winds cut fuel economy. MY Tacoma is stock, no engine or transmission issues at all. I tow in 4th gear not overdrive.
I am confident you will have a good tow experience.

AMG1978
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2013 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6, Double Cab, 4x4, TRD Sport.
I bought a Keystone Passport 238ml, which advertised a dry weight of like 3900lbs and a hitch weight of 495lbs. All those are low, and not to be realistic. I towed it twice, at about 600 miles total. Yeah we loaded it up with all our gear, and my family in the truck. The Tacoma did pull it, but it struggled and I can't say I was legal with payload.

I pulled that same trailer with a 2015 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost + MaxTow and it pulled it night and day better, the F-150 was the right truck for that trailer (or a tundra is fine).

I then bought a 35' toy hauler and pulled it once with the F-150 and was really worried on the payload AGAIN. Also, even with a WDH, I was getting pushed around (the tail wagging the dog) since 35' is LONNGGG. I now have a F-250 diesel and I am much happier.

Get the right tow vehicle for the trailer.
2012 F-250 6.L Diesel 4x4 Lariat
2016 Forest River WA2916 35' Toy Hauler

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Specs are out on the baby duramax Colorado. 7600lb towing with 1500lbs payload. Only crew cab short box
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Greene728 wrote:
Your gonna hate it. Sorry.
But as others have said, it's gonna pull it, just not very well. My beliefs are you want the vehicle to man handle the load, not the load man handle the vehicle.
I really wish you the best with it though.

Even with the 4 Litre V6, it is not going to cut the Mustard. Diesel options available outside NA are vastly better, although even in this aspect Toyota currently is well behind the competition

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
You shd have a Tundra for that weight to be comfortable. Your Tacoma will struggle to tow that load and the experience will not be safe nor enjoyable. The Tacoma is a great truck just not in this case. We tow with a Tundra a 23 ft Airstream with those approx weights and wouldn't want any more weight.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
as others have said, it's a little late to be asking the question.
should've asked before you bought the trailer.

don't know where Smithfield is but you'll probably not like towing it thru the mountains.
if you lived in Florida or Kansas, maybe you'd be ok.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Your gonna hate it. Sorry.
But as others have said, it's gonna pull it, just not very well. My beliefs are you want the vehicle to man handle the load, not the load man handle the vehicle.
I really wish you the best with it though.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Deep_Trax
Explorer
Explorer
A coworker of mine recently bought a 2015 Tacoma and a 20' TT with a dry weight of 4000 lbs. He is already regretting this combination. He only gets 10 mpg towing on flat ground and it gets worse in the hills.

He is now realizing that he could have purchased a full size 1/2 ton truck for less than the Tacoma. The half ton truck is a more capable tow vehicle, gets the same or better mpg, and has more room.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 4000 lb fully loaded TT with my 2009 Taco.
The truck's payload was only 1000# and so it was badly overloaded with the trailer tongue weight, people, bikes and kayaks in the bed.

And it had to work hard against the prairie headwinds and Western mountains. The tranny lacked a tow/haul mode so could over-heat if I didn't watch it.

But it worked until I got the F150 EcoBoost.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
that weighs about 1,000 lbs. more than my Ascend that I tow with my Highlander. it will move it, maybe even stop it, but its pushing it. pack lightly.
bumpy

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seems to me you have the truck and now have the trailer, so kinda asking if you should close the barn doors after the horses are already out.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Your Tacoma will move down the road with that trailer, no question. How you like how it tows is going to be the real question..

It might be the easiest tow of your life, or it could be the tow from hell.. Lot depends on the loading of it and the hitch setup and what your towing expectations are.

Since we don't really know any of that... Well... I'd say I wish you the best of luck with it and it's gonna be a heavy load for you, so keep that in mind when you hit your first grade.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I tow a #5000 fully loaded TT with the truck in my sig and it's a great tow, but the truck knows it's back there and even with only #5000, you have to watch what the heck you are doing.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Check the tongue weight of your loaded trailer vs the hitch weight rating. Some travel trailers have heavier tongue weights vs. others because of the variances associated with floor plans.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States