cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with Lowered Truck

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone tow with a lowered truck. Just purchased a 2013 Cherry Chevy Silverado 1500 with all the necessary factory tow equipment . I don't know a thing about lowering and going to take it to a speciality shop to get more info. I have seen many vehicles towing but I would like to hear from people and their experiences. Thanks Ed

I just ordered a Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S which has 4200 Dry Wt and I plan to get the Reese
Weight Distribution Hitch.
19 REPLIES 19

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Speaking of Chevy low riders!

This guys see no problem with a lowered TV.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another Chevy low rider.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
On an interesting note, I have never been able to get my overloads to engage without overloading the truck.

And the OE load rating is not affected by any modifications in any event; my state restricts trailering to "manufacturer's rated capacity." Like the law in every state in which I'm aware, modifications neither increase, nor decrease, the ratings the factory gives. The GVWR and other ratings are on the door or door jam.

The reason your overloads didn't contact is their tuned to the trucks RAWR...not the truck mfg GVWR or its GVWR payload.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
1ed wrote:
I Purchase it that way. Taking it to an expert next week.

Just to be clear. You purchased a stock used truck that you want to lower? Or is there a lift kit on it making it higher than stock?
He bought it lowered, and wants to see about the towing capacity of it that way. That's the way I understand it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
1ed wrote:

Just to be clear. You purchased a stock used truck that you want to lower? Or is there a lift kit on it making it higher than stock?

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
1ed wrote:

An "expert" in lowering trucks, not necessarily towing. Take any advice he gives you with a grain of salt because he may not know a thing about modifying trucks to be lower AND have towing/hauling capacity.

Generally speaking trucks are lowered for cosmetic reasons, and the suspension modifications are not performed with towing or hauling in mind. It's all for LOOKS, and sometimes for handling.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero, his sarcasm went way over your head.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
I just lowered mine on purpose to make it pull my 5er more level. Newer trucks are way too tall!

Was it lowered by replacing the springs, so-called "flipping" the axle, or by replacing shackles and hangers? Replacing the springs with lowering springs would inevitably lower their capacity, but the other two options retain the full spring capacity and would not really be of concern. Obviously use a proper hitch for the weight you're pulling, which would be a receiver and not the bumper. Other than that you'll probably be fine.

Wow, you just modified the OE equipment on your truck, nullifying the OE load rating by way of modification! How do you sleep at night?

Pot meet kettle.

I actually didn't modify anything. I moved spacers that were once below the axle to above the axle. It had the effect of both lowering the truck and making the overloads engage sooner. The weight capacity of the springs was unaffected. On an interesting note, I have never been able to get my overloads to engage without overloading the truck.

And the OE load rating is not affected by any modifications in any event; my state restricts trailering to "manufacturer's rated capacity." Like the law in every state in which I'm aware, modifications neither increase, nor decrease, the ratings the factory gives. The GVWR and other ratings are on the door or door jam.

Your trolling attempt is like saying that installing a different trailer hitch or having a front end alignment changes load capacity. Yet my truck, and many trucks like it, are rated for 5th wheel trailering even though the factory has no real input into how that trailer hitch will be installed in the vehicle.

Modifications are very different from deliberately overloading something that has a rated capacity signed off on by an engineer who understands the variables in play.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
While 1500's might have a decent tow capacity, they generally have a crappy payload capacity. If you are low now, you may be dragging ass with the trailer tongue weight. If everything else checks out okay, you might want air bags to keep you from throwing sparks at every dip in the road.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have driven a dually that was lowered for trailer pulling and due to constrained suspension travel the ride was extra rough. On the other hand, the suspension and driveline on trucks with steel springs are designed to function with a variety of loads and therefore a variety of ride heights it shouldn't mess things up but properly is the key word and you may have tradeoffs.

1ed
Explorer
Explorer

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not clear. Is the truck you bought already lowered or are you planning to lower it?

If the former, take it to a qualified suspension shop to have it evaluated to see if it was done correctly and if the towing capacity was significantly impacted (softer springs, etc). If the latter, still take it to a qualified suspension shop to determine the best way to lower it and not significantly impact the towing capacity (if that is possible).

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your replies. Like I said I have no idea how it was done and not sure what I am looking at when I look at the underside. I am going to take it to a specialty shop next week. Ed

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
twodownzero wrote:
I just lowered mine on purpose to make it pull my 5er more level. Newer trucks are way too tall!

Was it lowered by replacing the springs, so-called "flipping" the axle, or by replacing shackles and hangers? Replacing the springs with lowering springs would inevitably lower their capacity, but the other two options retain the full spring capacity and would not really be of concern. Obviously use a proper hitch for the weight you're pulling, which would be a receiver and not the bumper. Other than that you'll probably be fine.

Wow, you just modified the OE equipment on your truck, nullifying the OE load rating by way of modification! How do you sleep at night?

Pot meet kettle.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold