cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing

truckee8695
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are trying to decide which would be our next truck to tow our T T we are thinking about a ford F 250 with 7.1 diesel or a dodge 2500 with a Hemi with auto trans and four wheel drive, 4 doors I think around a 2010 model ... Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks for the info
16 REPLIES 16

archie18
Explorer
Explorer
My 2004 6-cyl F-150 pulled a 19ft Antigua from TN to Alaska and back, New England and back (twice), Louisiana and back, and Florida and back plus short trips and a 24ft Passport Ultralite to Calif and back and is still going strong at 160,000 miles. I never felt like it was really straining in the mountains and did not have any mechanical problems until last year(busted intake gasket) and minor transmission problem this year. Average 9-10 mpg towing. That being said, I am looking for replacement TV and will probably get 8 cyl, or 6 cyl with Eco boost or Hemi. Since I want something I can carry my kayaks on and have more passenger room, I am looking at Expedition, Yukon or Durango, etc.
Robert and Nancy
2013 Keystone Passport 2300bh/2014 Ford F150
http://wanderingwoolfolks.blogspot.com

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
gcloss wrote:
I would say part of your decision could be based on your plans. Short trips you could get away with the Ram with the Hemi. Long trips I'd opt for the diesel.

My camping trips recently changed from short 150 mile one-way trips to 325 to 425 mile one-way trips. Just did my second trip this year with my Ram 2500 gasser for 436 miles one-way. It wasn't a bad experience, I just wish I had a diesel.

Next year I have two 900+ mile trips planned.

I'll bet you're not wishing for the added maintenance costs.

I talked myself into a diesel because everywhere we go we have to cross the Rockies. I used to fry my back side towing with my old Ford with the 7000# package and get past by just about everything else on the road.

The Ram Cummins saves me all of about 45 minutes to get through the Rockies, after the Rockies the Ford did just as good as the Ram.

Ram Cummins takes twice the oil for a change, gets no better fuel mileage and diesel now costs more than gas. Just about every maintenance item for the Cummins runs 50% more than the Ford and that is getting the fleet price at Cummins. (Just lucky I smile at the parts manager, she's another red head.)

If only the 2014 version of the Ram 2500 with the bigger Hemi and 4 link rear suspension would have been around when I bought the Cummins.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
3/4 ton trucks for 2010 are capable of towing nearly any TT. Tow ratings are 9500+ pounds and enough payload to support the tongue weight, bed full ot camping stuff, and a family. If you have visions of 5th wheel in the future, I highly recommend a SRW 1-ton for the extra payload/spring rates ex specially if you want a diesel.

In 2010, Ford used a 6.4L diesel engine. The last 7.x liter engine for used was 2003 7.3L. Are you comparing a early 2000's Ford diesel to a 2010 Ram gasser?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

SplinterFL
Explorer
Explorer
There is a lot to compare. I think it boils down to: are you making long trips, do you drive the truck daily vs let it sit when not towing.
Would it be better to lease the truck to avoid maintenance costs. Here is an article, point by point. I have no opinion, but I'm sure there is a reason most semi's, busses and large trucks use diesel.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/tech/163_0210_diesel_vs_gas/viewall.html
2003' Dodge Dakota SLT Quad 4x2, 4.7 V8 - 1996 Aerolite 16RK

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless you have a heavy trailer and it sounds like you don't, I think gas is the better choice. We upgraded from an F150 to F250 with a V10 last year and thought about a diesel at first but that idea didn't last long. A diesel is more expensive to buy and is more expensive to maintain over time. More to go wrong and when you hear about various diesel engine problems with different makes and models, gas seems like a better option. Diesel engines *can* be noisy and is annoying in a CG.

Diesel fuel can be harder to find while gas is everywhere. Lower fuel cost for diesel is a big plus though.

We absolutely love the V10 in our F250. Plenty of power and torque and it's very smooth. Gas mileage on short local trips isn't the best, but when towing, mileage is in the same range as everything else. The V10 was only available to 2010.

I've heard that Ford is planning to offer a Cummins diesel in the future. I'm sure it won't be cheap.

One thing I might add is that if you are wondering about getting a 4x4, I wouldn't unless you really need it. They are higher off the ground and the weight of the extra drivetrain components takes away available payload capacity.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We tow a Cougar 245 RKS with a 2010 Hemi 2500 Laramie. The trailer is usually pretty full of supplies and water, so it probably weighs 8500-9000 lbs. The truck does O.K. We average 8.3 mpg towing, and run about 62 mph most of the time. The Ram can run up RPMs of you want it to, but we slow a bit on the hills. No, it's not a diesel, but it's acceptable to us.
So, are you from Truckee?

truckee8695
Explorer
Explorer
This is the wife... Hi folks and thanks for the input. This is my issue. While I realize a diesel is supposed to be a better tow, it's also a lot more expensive in the way of gas. We have planned a few short trips for the rest of this year to ease our way into the lifestyle and be sure we are able to tow well with the Durango we already own. However, we would love to plan some much longer trips in the near future. Living in TN, there are routes we would be taking that will take us over some pretty steep passes. What would the suggestion be if we specifically did not want diesel?

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the correct answer was always, it's gotta be a diesel & it's gotta be a Dually.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
I would say part of your decision could be based on your plans. Short trips you could get away with the Ram with the Hemi. Long trips I'd opt for the diesel.

My camping trips recently changed from short 150 mile one-way trips to 325 to 425 mile one-way trips. Just did my second trip this year with my Ram 2500 gasser for 436 miles one-way. It wasn't a bad experience, I just wish I had a diesel.

Next year I have two 900+ mile trips planned.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

Marauderer
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, Tow Vehicle threads are like oil threads and are very personal. I always want some overkill with my TV's. I am very happy with my GMC 2500 and it goes anywhere anytime. Just get something that is a bit more than needed. They are all good and it isn't like back in the 90's. All the 2500/3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks have come a long way and they are all good.
Barry:B
USN (Ret.)
20 GD Reflection 337RLS
07 GMC Sierra D/A CCSB, to many mods, Anderson Ultimate with B&W rollover ball gooseneck hitch, Torque Lift Stairs, 20 ft Flag Poll
15 Grand Cherokee Limited EcoDiesel
"Red" the little Bear Dog
12 Yanmar Sc2450

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
I did a lot of research before buying my 2006 Duramax... I love my truck!

I love the Duramax Engine, 6 speed Allison transmission and no DPF fluid needed! I bought it with 180K on the clock and have had 30K of no issues so far!

I had planned on buying a 7.3 powerstroke but all the Ford lovers wanted much too high of a premium for them. The Duramax was just a little more than a 7.3 Powerstroke and I firmly believe the Allison is much better than the transmissions that came behind the Dodges and Fords of the period.
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
Although its a lite if your towing in the mountains I would say diesel.....I have a V10 F250 and love the truck.
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

truckee8695
Explorer
Explorer
Our T T is a 33 feet 9 inch 2014 keystone ultra lite grand touring model

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
truckee8695@yahoo.co wrote:
My wife and I are trying to decide which would be our next truck to tow our TT ... Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks for the info

You might want to try asking in the Tow Vehicles forum. Those there love to have those types of debates. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_