cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trave trailer cover

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
We recently purchased a used travel trailer and discovered a trailer cover. The dealer said the original owner had purchased it and traded it in with the trailer.

It would seem like a good idea for rain and snow but since this is our first TT, I wondered if there are drawbacks to using one of these covers.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
14 REPLIES 14

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
The way I look at it, if perchance there is a small leak in the roof, if you cover it is not getting rain for the majority of time and therefor not building up hidden damage as quickly.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
a carport or 3 sided shed probably will double the life of an rv .
especially if you are on your third RV and plan to keep it for a decade or two a hard cover will pay off .
the expansion during the day and contraction during the night will increase the possibility of leaks at the joints and various roof openings .
a bonus is that the tires take longer to deteriorate due to ozone cracking of a parked trailer .
my 2002 komfort ( ordered new ) still looks brand new even in the 300 days of sunshine in Bend . it has been stored in a north facing shed since new .
a possibility is to start with a basic " pole building " type structure that you can add walls and a garage door as time and money permit .

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
I haven’t needed one very often I used to store mine deep into a limestone mine, and been full timing for a lot of years now…

My base camp is very large and most of the campers are on site all year… many covered, most not…
But, I have never heard any of them say they wished they hadn’t covered theirs… on the other hand, it seems every year there is someone saying They wished they had covered it…
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

stephend
Explorer
Explorer
Have ADCO I use Oct-March. Keeps leaves and trash out. Lasts about 3 years.
3 married children, 7 gr ch
Electrical engineer married to mom/homemaker
Log Home on lake to retire in 8 years
Not golfer, fisherman or hunter but Let's go camping!!
2013 Ford F150 5.0L 3.55 Axle Supercrew Cab Short Bed w/2010 Dutchmen Lite 25C-GS

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Had an ADCO for our HTT for 7 seasons and other than a very tiny hole, fixed with a bit of duct tape, it went to it's new home looking brand new. We have a covered area right here at home, but still used the ADCO. When we moved to the TT, just never got around to getting a cover for this year, but will before next fall. Keeps it cleaner and protects against all sorts of stuff. If storing outdoors, wouldn't consider NOT having a cover for winter. Covering and uncovering every couple of weeks is a pain, but for long term, strongly suggest cover.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
I have an ADCO work great. Keeps the roof in good shape. Next best option to storing it inside.
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
If you use the cover make sure it is tied down tight so it doesn't flap in the wind. Friction from the flapping can really do some damage.

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same here have had good luck the Adco covers. I can't see any reason not to cover mine.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
4famfun wrote:
cover is a great way to keep it nice, though ADCO covers are the worst

4famfun's experience notwithstanding, I've had good luck with my Adco Tyvek. 6th year right now.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We used covers for several years and then I just quit. If they are tied down snug, they are nice to use. But if you plan on trips often, winter camps, it's a real pain to put them off and on all time.

If your in a dusty area of the country, have to park under trees, or park in a harsh environment, then cover.

4famfun
Explorer
Explorer
cover is a great way to keep it nice, though ADCO covers are the worst

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
At 10 y/o my trailer still looks like new and I attribute that to keeping the elements off it for 6~7 months every year.
(I have an ADCO cover.)

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had my first cover for 5 years. Just bought the new one this year. They are great at keeping the RV clean and depending on the cover, dry. My first one was a standard cover from Addco my new one is a SFS Aquashed. The Aquashed is more suited to wet climates. When you do use it be sure to pad all corners and anything that protrudes. I use bubble wrap on all corners/edges. If you follow that the cover will last a long time and keep the trailer looking like new.

BTW, the cover cost me $250 and i get 5 years from it. Indoor storage costs me $400+ a season. So even though it's not truly out of the elements, i'm ahead when using the cover vs. indoor storage.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some like them some don't. You'll get about 50/50 positive and negative.

I bought one for my truck camper. It was a pain putting on and taking it off. It only lasted one winter.

I've never used one on the travel trailer.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)