cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailer Insurance

mfoster711
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who do you use for insurance of your Travel Trailer? Do you use the same company for Auto/Home? Have you shopped prices? If so, what did you find?

For the first time in 20 years I am shopping all my insurance around and the RV rates seem odd.

I currently pay $736/year through Allstate. I was quoted $596 from State Farm. I used the Progressive website and got a quote of $316. Tried using Gieco but it said I must have auto policy with them to get RV quote.

This is for my 2014 Outback Terrain 250TRS.
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch
2014 Outback Terrain 250TRS

Previously:
2007 Ford F250 Diesel
2009 Jayco Eagle 30.5 BHS Super Lite 5th Wheel
21 REPLIES 21

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
azdryheat wrote:
Our trailer is tied in to our truck policy with Farmers.

Ditto for my 2 RVs and my cargo trailer.

700+ seems really high for just the trailer. In fact it's astronomically high if that dollar amount is only the trailer.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
My trailer insurance is with State Farm. The policy on the TT is for a full year. Our policies for our motor vehicles only run 6 months at a time.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I have Farmer's for my TT along with my auto and home insurance. The TT is under $200/yr.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
We have Liberty Mutual and pay only $58 a year to add Comp and Collision for our trailer. Our Auto policy covers Liability while hooked to the truck and our homeowners cover liability for my wife and I when the trailer is unhooked.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

mfoster711
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ended up going with Progressive also. I got it for $250/year from them. Allstate quoted $480 and State Farm was $590.
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch
2014 Outback Terrain 250TRS

Previously:
2007 Ford F250 Diesel
2009 Jayco Eagle 30.5 BHS Super Lite 5th Wheel

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with Progressive, $28k agreed replacement value for about $275 a year
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
I got geico with 500 dollar deductibles, for 860/year , and some other various goodies. Super cheap.

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
I also use the same vendor as house and cars. The trailer liability coverage comes from the tow vehicle coverage so I increased that a good bit. Collision and comprehensive is basically what I buy for the trailer itself.

One other thing to consider is if you have a liability umbrella. We do, and our insurer requires that all vehicles be covered by them in order to get the liability umbrella.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

Rawben
Explorer
Explorer
Same here. Our policy was less than $200 with State Farm for our toy hauler. They never asked for the value, etc. We had a tire blow out on our way to Florence, Oregon and State Farm took great care of us. It will depend on how the hazard happened it it's under your RV insurance or your vehicles.

delwhjr wrote:
I have insurance from State Farm and will continue due to excellent service and claims history. I had a trailer which literally came apart on the freeway( undiscovered water issue), called claims and sent pictures, received check for entire value(totaled out) in two days. I was told to do what I wanted with the trailer and sold it for parts to a dealer. No muss, No fuss. Having a long term relationship with an agent which I can call day or night (he will answer) is worth more than a quickie discount that goes up the next year.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
$197/year for $16k in coverage on my trailer, same policy as the rest of my vehicles.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
I have insurance from State Farm and will continue due to excellent service and claims history. I had a trailer which literally came apart on the freeway( undiscovered water issue), called claims and sent pictures, received check for entire value(totaled out) in two days. I was told to do what I wanted with the trailer and sold it for parts to a dealer. No muss, No fuss. Having a long term relationship with an agent which I can call day or night (he will answer) is worth more than a quickie discount that goes up the next year.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the insurance from Good Sam. It used to be GMAC, but GS bought them I guess. I pay around 400 bucks for the year.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I had just gotten quotes from progressive , which were much higher.
for a $25k TT and I asked for both texas and SD as domiciles as we were trying to decide which to use. both were in the $950 a year range.
options on the policy

replacement cost
$3000 contents
$1000 Collision and comprehensive deductable
and I was told I had to take a full timers package which includes liability coverage of $50k per person and $100k per accident.
I had thought this seemed way high but had not yet checked another carrier.
I had thought the coll and comp from the truck would cover the trailer while towing but Progressive said it didnt.

Did your 316 quote cover all these areas? And what were you trying to get as coverage levels?

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive here on a 2016 38 foot long TT. Full coverage for the purchase price of 27K for $500.
That includes wind and hurricane along with floods.
No other insurance company including our own on our house and two vehicles would insure it in the Florida Keys.

Guy