cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling from nj to florida

jznj
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased our first camper its a 32ft kz showstopper was woundering how long does it take to get to florida from nj towing? whats the average speed? and we plan on stopping in georgia overnight where do most people stay?is there a app you can use for directions that show the restrictions ?
13 REPLIES 13

bdlaise
Explorer
Explorer
From Dover DE to Disney. Got on Rt 301 south to rt 50/301 to rt 495 beltway. The traffic always backed up getting on 95 south from 495 to almost Quantico. We'd stop in Enfield NC and in Richmond Hill Ga. Only travel 8 hours or to our predetermined destination.

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Several of the big truck stops have apps on their locations. I use them to plan my fuel stops on a trip. helps getting stuck looking for fuel. I like the 50 rule...helps in planning a trip.
Mark

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Pick up 301 by Newark DE - Annapolis Bridge -> Waldorf -> Port Royal;
The only place with a few backup is around Waldorf (and a good place to take a break - lots of restaurants);

Don't recall many traffic lights once your through the Bowie area - kind of plain sailing and relaxing.

I found this route to be more pleasant (and quicker) than I95

Gerry
Gerry

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
fitznj wrote:

You may want to check out 301 instead of I95 to get you through Delaware/Maryland. Once you're south of Fredickburg, the driving gets easier.

How do you access Route 301? Do you go down the DelMarVa peninsula from I-95 and over the Bay Bridge by Annapolis, or all the way down and across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel into VA?

While Route 301 to Annapolis is more miles than I-95, and there are a couple small towns you get stuck in for a few minutes, I still find it more enjoyable than driving I-95 (and cheaper). The Key Bridge is several miles out of the way as compared to the tunnels in Baltimore, so 301 bypasses that area altogether.

But if I remember correctly, Route 301 around Washington has a million traffic lights and can be a nightmare to drive, especially while towing.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Done this trip several times and no matter how fast or slow your are travelling, you will always average 50MPH.....That means that 400 miles will take you 8 hours, which for me is about my limit these days.

This will get you to Rocky Mount (just) for the first night and just south of the Florida border on the second night - so plan accordingly. We usually stay at State parks along the way.

You may want to check out 301 instead of I95 to get you through Delaware/Maryland. Once you're south of Fredickburg, the driving gets easier.

Having said that - what's the hurry? take a an extra couple of days to see the sights on the route...

Gerry
Gerry

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Quick, buy a good GPS. Several have been discussed on this Forum. Seems like you get on I-95 and turn south. The GPS will also help find campgrounds when you are close to the end of the day. A cell phone will allow you to call ahead when you have chosen a CG.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you may need to make some shorter trips first. That way you'll get a feel for this. I assume this is a travel trailer? Do you have a heavy enough truck? What are the DOT dates on the tires? If they are over 5 years old, they need to be replaced regardless of what they look like.

We use a Garmin GPS, Google maps and sometimes Microsoft Streets and Trips to plan our trips. We travel only about 200 miles per day and stay around 60mph, but we have a diesel motorhome. If you are pulling a trailer you may need to go slower to avoid sway.

Again, I suggest a few trips much closer to home first.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
We have gone twice (so far!) from Connecticut to Florida.

I second the "50 miles per hour rule" for trip planning... I always average 65mph speed when towing, but at the end of the day, including rest stops and traffic, it always seems like when you divide the time towing with miles, it ends up being 50 miles per hour.

I plan on stopping for a quick break every 1 1/2 hours or so, and a longer break every 3 hours or so.

For total time, we were about 25 hours. 15 hours from Connecticut to South Carolina (we stayed in Florence, Florence RV Park - simple on and off I95, great for an overnight). Then 10 hours from South Carolina to Fort Wilderness, Disney.

Yes, there are restrictions regarding roads, tunnels, bridges, etc. I HIGHLY recommend figuring out a possible route, then post in a thread in these forums to get feedback from people.

When we went to Disney, the feedback I got from people on these forums was invaluable for trip planning. Most times you will get comments from people that may have been on your exact route just the day before.

I am a planner, so I had my route planned, and timed, carefully. I left extra time available for circumstances - longer stops, delayed start, traffic, etc. Don't let traffic get you down! It will happen, just turn up your air conditioning and the radio and enjoy not working. Your advantage is you don't have to worry about going through NYC / George Washington Bridge / Tappanzee Bridge!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Since this is your first camper I would recommend you not try to over do it on the driving. Pulling a TT is quite different than cruising with nothing. Your TT tires are rated for max 65 mph and if the WD hitch has not been set up well you will find the experience a challenge. I would recommend you stay off of the Interstate highways as much as possible until you have some experience and know what to expect.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
As far as restrictions, you can't go through the Baltimore tunnels with propane. I've taken the beltway over the Francis Scott Key Bridge.

richy2
Explorer
Explorer
When returning to Florida after visiting friends in Tuckerton, our first stop is a campground near Petersburg, Va. Next night a stop in Florence, Sc. If I feel like driving 8 to 9 hours, I can make it home to central Florida the third day. Or if I don't want to drive that much we may stop in Brunswick, Ga. then an easy drive the next day.
We camp at Passport America campgrounds, all good overnight stops.
Good luck and safe travels

jznj
Explorer
Explorer
thank you will check them out

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
jznj,
I can't answer most of your question but can tell you that, if you travel on the interstates at the recommended 60-65mph, you will average 50mph for the days travel. If you travel on the secondary roads your average will be somewhat less. This includes stops for fuel, potty breaks etc.

There is Good Sam Camping app and RV Parky app, both of which are available for Iphone and Android devices. I think they will help you out a lot. Also, once in Georgia, you will find a lot of campgrounds along just about any road you travel. ๐Ÿ™‚ I have used CoPilot USA and found it quite useful. It is also available for Iphone and Android phones.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine