cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tree limb vs Roof, Tree wins

mjmaddox
Explorer
Explorer
I know this must have happened to someone else, so I'm looking for experienced advice. Unfortunate incident with a tree limb and my 5 month old trailer has to have a new roof. Covered by insurance and currently being repaired by local jayco dealer.

Once the work is complete, What should I worry about for the future? Once I take delivery is that all their liability? What if I find a leak later? Will I be able to prove its a result of the repairs or am I on my own? I'm notorious for living under a black cloud so I'm expecting the worst. Should I just chill out and hope for the best or is there some due diligence I should prepare for or be aware of that could bite me later?

Thanks for any reassurance I can get.
20 REPLIES 20

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Doug33 wrote:
There are very few non-tree sites in the campgrounds we like to frequent.

I grew up on, and still live on the prairie. To me, it's not really camping if you are not under the trees. I go camping to get away from the sun and set in the shade by the lake. lol

After my bad experience I have learned to look up at the trees and park my TT accordingly. There is still no guarantee of course. It's just a risk I have to take to go have fun .

I just went out camping, under the trees, this Saturday. On Nov 15 in MN !!! It was 60 during the day and 50 at night. Not very many years around here that I can do that. No leaves left on the trees though. lol

I agree with Doug and Charlie that to me and my wife, we ALWAYS look for wooded campgrounds. The more trees, the better.. After 25 years of sleeping under the tree limbs in a pop up with nothing but canvas between us and the outside, we never thought of something like this happening. Never had a branch fall on us.. ever! Now, on our 2nd use of the new TT, it happened. Like you, we won't change our camping habits since I look at this the same as lightening hitting your house..... ooops.. That has happened to us twice too... 2 different houses.. one in NJ and one in Texas... Oh well...at least a TT has a solid roof which will hopefully stop any limbs from totally coming through if it ever happens again.. I know I will look up to make sure there is no evidence of dead limbs above us from now on!Safe camping to all

That brought back a memory ! I have traveled extensively by motorcycle, and have done a lot of camping in a tent while on bike trips. One night in a very nice CG outside of Eureka Springs, Arkansas, a wind storm came up, and dropped a rather large limb right next to my tent ! Needless to say, I was darned glad it missed me and the motorcycle, even if it was just by mere feet. Sometimes it pays to be lucky.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
temccarthy1 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Doug33 wrote:

I grew up on, and still live on the prairie. To me, it's not really camping if you are not under the trees. I go camping to get away from the sun and set in the shade by the lake. lol

After my bad experience I have learned to look up at the trees and park my TT accordingly. There is still no guarantee of course. It's just a risk I have to take to go have fun .

I just went out camping, under the trees, this Saturday. On Nov 15 in MN !!! It was 60 during the day and 50 at night. Not very many years around here that I can do that. No leaves left on the trees though. lol

I agree with Doug and Charlie that to me and my wife, we ALWAYS look for wooded campgrounds. The more trees, the better.. After 25 years of sleeping under the tree limbs in a pop up with nothing but canvas between us and the outside, we never thought of something like this happening. Never had a branch fall on us.. ever! Now, on our 2nd use of the new TT, it happened. Like you, we won't change our camping habits since I look at this the same as lightening hitting your house..... ooops.. That has happened to us twice too... 2 different houses.. one in NJ and one in Texas... Oh well...at least a TT has a solid roof which will hopefully stop any limbs from totally coming through if it ever happens again.. I know I will look up to make sure there is no evidence of dead limbs above us from now on!Safe camping to all

And just remind yourself. You are safer sleeping in your TT then what you would have been in the pop up if lightning strikes again. :B

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Doug33 wrote:

Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doug33 wrote:

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

mjmaddox
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the positive responses. I had not even considered some of the things you guys mentioned. I will continue camping, be diligent with the maintenance, and stop worrying about the "what if".

Caveman, I too had some of your anxieties. I looked for 3 years for the "right" trailer and had to drive 7 hours to get the one I wanted since this model has now been discontinued. I was so afraid they would total it having no idea the cost or effort to replace the roof and I would be back to square one looking for the right one. I was pleasantly surprised with the estimate..

A quick shout out to Progressive Ins Co. and Burton Campers in Calera, AL.
Process has been quick and painless so far. I'll update this if things change.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Oh for heavens sake. You just had to bring this up and give me something else to worry about didn't you.

Seriously, I was already losing sleep over this one. I had a tree branch smash out the windshield of my pickup at the park once. I was just glad it was the pickup and not my camper. I have insurance to cover the pickup and I do have insurance on the camper but, it is so old the insurance company would not give me much for it and I could not get a new one for what they would give me. My camping days would then be over.

I sleep with one eye open. Gripping my pillow tight.

Caveman.. Just don't camp under trees anymore then.. Always plenty of open sights...
Equalizer E2 hitch

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh for heavens sake. You just had to bring this up and give me something else to worry about didn't you.

Seriously, I was already losing sleep over this one. I had a tree branch smash out the windshield of my pickup at the park once. I was just glad it was the pickup and not my camper. I have insurance to cover the pickup and I do have insurance on the camper but, it is so old the insurance company would not give me much for it and I could not get a new one for what they would give me. My camping days would then be over.

I sleep with one eye open. Gripping my pillow tight.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new 2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS and on or 2nd use in October 2015, a tree limb fell from an 80 ft Black Walnut tree and penetrated our slideout roof. TT has been at dealer for a month and telling me now another 2 weeks. Insurance claim damage was $2000 and I am only out $100. Good for that! I will certainly hold the dealer and insurance Co responsible for the integrity and durability of he repairs and if any issue, will go back to Geico!
Equalizer E2 hitch

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
the bear II wrote:
We stayed at a campground in a forest on the western side of the Sierra Mountains in California. There were a mixture of trees including some tall Sequoia trees. These have pine cones which when green are very solid and heavy. They can be up to a foot long and have a sharp pointy end.

The whole time we were there these kept falling. Squirrels would chew on the stem and drop them to the ground so they could chew into them to get the seeds.

They never hit our RV but a nearby TT had the roof punctured by one of these pine cones. It went through the roof and ended up on the floor.

Here is a story of a guy in San Francisco suing the National Park Service because his skull was crushed by one of these pine cones.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at a campground in a forest on the western side of the Sierra Mountains in California. There were a mixture of trees including some tall Sequoia trees. These have pine cones which when green are very solid and heavy. They can be up to a foot long and have a sharp pointy end.

The whole time we were there these kept falling. Squirrels would chew on the stem and drop them to the ground so they could chew into them to get the seeds.

They never hit our RV but a nearby TT had the roof punctured by one of these pine cones. It went through the roof and ended up on the floor.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look up!..and carry a chainsaw.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Avoid short trees with tall trailer!

I agree with RV circus.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't worry about it. Certainly check their work & keep an eye out for issues, but just enjoy camping. It's not worth stressing about the what if's.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread