cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip report - down to Moab

Bigfoot85
Explorer
Explorer
Headed from the cool climes of Washington State to Moab, Utah ... home of great 4x4 trails, Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, and the La Sal mountains. Here's a few of the pics ... with more of the story at the blog, here.

First we met some friends in Missoula Montana ...

... and stopped at the Deer Lodge Car Museum and Prison ...

The above is a 1933 Kozy Kamp pop-up. Is there nothing new? The auto displays were truly beautiful - gotta love the 50's and 60's cars! The prison felt a little confining - so we moved hurriedly along.

Lots of places to park and sleep, and we hit 'em all! Soon (days later) the sun came out ...

... and we drove until we woke up here.

Spent some time taking my passengers to Arches ...

... dining with amazing views ...

... and camping in the outback. See our TC?

Met up with friends ...

... and played in the rocks ...

... climbed up and down ...

... went to the hot tubs ...

... and fixed things later.

At Canyonlands, the views were even more stunning. We could just live here ...

... with some little roads that climb down the side of the cliffs too.

Or, do as we did ... head on up to a lake at 9200 feet in the La Sal Mountains ...

No-one else here. Just the whispering aspens. Could have stayed here for days (partly because the road was slightly puckering ... not looking forward to going back down).

But soon it was time to descend ...

... and caravan home.

There's nothing like TC. Go where-ever, park, eat, sleep, investigate ... it's your call. There's lot more pictures at the blog site ... enough to bore any and all. See ya down the road ...
Simply.Living.Well.
Bigfoot 9.5
2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.0, 4.10 manual
23 REPLIES 23

Bigfoot85
Explorer
Explorer
Some Blu Pig BBQ sounds good now ... especially since the weather has changed up our way.

Those are mighty fine pics, c.traveler2 and Bigimac, showing how great it is to have a TC! Hey jamminalong ... we've missed you guys big time!! Nice shot too, Beanman ... did you do the bike trail? Yup ... Buzzcut1 - you know the southwest ... indeed it does rock! There's some side roads ya can drive your TC that feel like you're on a rock ready to fall from under you, jmckelvy. I only drive those when I've mae a mistake!!
Simply.Living.Well.
Bigfoot 9.5

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Desert SW rocks (literally) great pics
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Bigimac
Explorer
Explorer
oh yea - through there last week for some Blu Pig BBQ - nice rig
2013 Capri Sportsman Grande
2015 Chevy Crew cab 3500HD SWD gasser
Toyo Open Ctry ATII 275 70R/18
10150# loaded; 10.5 mpg @ 70mph

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Your trip looks great, my DW and I need to get back to Moab.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Bigimac
Explorer
Explorer
I think we must have just missed you down below Moki Dugway

2013 Capri Sportsman Grande
2015 Chevy Crew cab 3500HD SWD gasser
Toyo Open Ctry ATII 275 70R/18
10150# loaded; 10.5 mpg @ 70mph

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
BeanMan wrote:
Moab has decent mountain biking as well...

WHOA! :E

That rock looks to be ready to fall at anytime.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

SpknTC
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! You've been busy. Great pics...thanks for sharing!
Ford F450 6.7L PSD DRW 4X4
Arctic Fox 865

Xpd77
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, found Warner lake on the map and bookmarked a geocache nearby so I won't forget to visit there someday. I'm always looking for a "slightly puckering" road where I can still take a full sized truck and hard side camper. Looks beautiful there.
2012 F350 SRW Diesel. 2014 Arctic Fox 811. Torklift tiedowns, Fast Guns, and Stable Loads.

BeanMan
Explorer
Explorer
Warner Lake, from the "Whole Enchilada" bike trail.

Bigfoot85
Explorer
Explorer
Warner Lake ... at 9200 feet, off of La Sal Mountain Loop Road. Amazing trails there too, going down to Oowah Lake at 8500' or so (about 2 miles).

Directions: From Moab, go south on US 191 to Ken's Lake/ La Sal Mountain Loop Road. Turn left, following signs for La Sal Mountain Loop Road to the end of the pavement. Go past Oowah Lake and turn right then continue to Warner Lake. Turn right and follow the gravel road to the campground.
Simply.Living.Well.
Bigfoot 9.5

Xpd77
Explorer
Explorer
What lake did you visit in the mountains? How would I find that?
2012 F350 SRW Diesel. 2014 Arctic Fox 811. Torklift tiedowns, Fast Guns, and Stable Loads.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Very Cool! Jeeping or Biking.

Bigfoot85
Explorer
Explorer
Amazing biking trails ... they crisscrossed the jeep trails, and we saw lots of cyclists!
Simply.Living.Well.
Bigfoot 9.5

BeanMan
Explorer
Explorer
Moab has decent mountain biking as well...