cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Fire Ford SD 6.7

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
My truck caught on fire for no obvious reason. 2012 F350 6.7L 4WD. Has about 170K on it. Parked, engine off, no electrical gear on. Right side of the engine compartment caught on fire.
I had a wheel off to check the brakes, went inside for a minute, came out smoke coming from the truck, seemed to be small fire.
Got a pot of water from camper, came out and it was blazing.
Finally put it out with the hose but that whole side of the front end and the front of the truck incinerated. All that plastic burned like crazy.
Fire department and sheriff came out. FD said it looked to be electrical. Waiting for Allstate.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
70 REPLIES 70

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Geo*Boy wrote:
BenK wrote:
Best to use nautical or drivers side, but some base standing in front of the vehicle and the drivers side is the right side...been there done that too often trying to help on the Internet...heck, even in person...

Also the why of operating room/table will have written with a sharpie which hand/arm/leg/etc is to operated on...too many mistakes have dictated that

What the he.. is wrong with people, everyone knows or should know one views the vehicle from the rear and the left is your left and the right is your right! STOP trying to redefine the obvious!!

Than you geoboy!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
thomasmnile wrote:
Possibly,new or new to you truck in your future? Will be interesting to learn the repair estimate if you care to share it.

I suspect we will be looking at totaled, the right side of the engine compartment and everything on the engine on that side is burned up. The right front quarter, the grill and the hood are kaput.
The truck body is OK and maybe the engine other than all the stuff attached to the right. Alternator, battery, starter ect. Front wheels OK.

Right in this case is the passenger side in other words. We will see what Allstate has to say, hopefully it is repairable.

Believe me, you DO NOT want to try and repair it. Don't open that as an option to the insurance company
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
ksss wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
I would be happy for the total as well. Hopefully your insurance treats you well.

First offer: $28600
That is a 2012 F350 6.7 4WD longbed with a Leer topper. About 170K on iy

What trim level is it?

Lariet, leather seats, crew cab, 18 inch wheels
Superbumper

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
BenK wrote:
Best to use nautical or drivers side, but some base standing in front of the vehicle and the drivers side is the right side...been there done that too often trying to help on the Internet...heck, even in person...

Also the why of operating room/table will have written with a sharpie which hand/arm/leg/etc is to operated on...too many mistakes have dictated that

What the he.. is wrong with people, everyone knows or should know one views the vehicle from the rear and the left is your left and the right is your right! STOP trying to redefine the obvious!!

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
No telling what caused it and you'll probably never know. Most certainly electrical. There is always more damage then meets the eye. The position of a vehicle is always from the driver's seat. Right side is passenger side.
Been involved in Many Mercedes fire investigations over the years. Most were after market components that were not properly fused or heat generating components stuffed into tight areas but I have also seen batteries blow up too. New truck time.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

blt2ski
agesilaus wrote:
Well Allstate is talking 'totaled' I was really hoping for repair. I have some photos and will post them. I'm not sure if I need to replace it with another diesel, we got that truck when we were pulling a fiver.
We have a heavy 25 foot TT now, so maybe a 1/2 ton might work.

If you like Diesels in general, one of the GM/Dodge 1500 diesels would be a fine rig for a 25', assume in the 7-8000 lbs relm. Even the mid 5.xL V8 gas rigs would be fine options.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I would be happy for the total as well. Hopefully your insurance treats you well.

What trim level is it?
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
agesilaus wrote:
Well Allstate is talking 'totaled' I was really hoping for repair. I have some photos and will post them. I'm not sure if I need to replace it with another diesel, we got that truck when we were pulling a fiver.

a f150 will work, but it is going to be a lot harder on gas than the diesel would and work a lot harder in the hills and wind. maybe you could go to a diesel 3/4 ton or one a few more years older thats in good shape if they don't give you enough. but I would be going out and seeing what you could buy your truck for right now. when my wifes car got written off we fought for extra noney because they based what the car was worth before the ued car market went up and we won.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:

When I have gone under the knife, the surgeon met me in preop. And used a sharpie on the body part that was to be operated on.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ksss wrote:
I would be happy for the total as well. Hopefully your insurance treats you well. I doubt the insurance company cares what the dealer would have sold it for. Insurance will appraise it and that will be that. You will likely have to negotiate to get a fair number. Hopefully it will be enough to roll into something comparable.

If they see you know what it would sell for they will treat him right.

Turned in a claim. They sent me a check. I got an estimate that was basically the same but Ins figured only $50 per hour labor. I pointed out that the labor rate was $130 and sent me an additional $1,400.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
BenK wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:
RV ODS = Off door side and DS = Door side.

Vehicle DS = Drivers side and PS = Passenger side.

No confusion

Yes, sure. We all must be able to talk to people that don't know which way is up. I have a left side, but know I should keep to the right under most conditions.
No confusion with RVs? For the majority of 1 type of RV ODS would be what most would call front.
If you a standing facing me we both have a right, but if 1 points right he points north. For the other right is south. But that does not mean the right hand relocates.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III

Superbumper

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I would be happy for the total as well. Hopefully your insurance treats you well. I doubt the insurance company cares what the dealer would have sold it for. Insurance will appraise it and that will be that. You will likely have to negotiate to get a fair number. Hopefully it will be enough to roll into something comparable.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:

Don't be easy on they as used trucks are at a HUGE premium now!!!

You are lucky they are totaling it. You don't want the gremlins later.

Do your homework. Talk to your local Dealer and get a written estimate of what they would have sold it for.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV ODS = Off door side and DS = Door side.

Vehicle DS = Drivers side and PS = Passenger side.

No confusion