cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Registration Weight

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
So - I have a 2020 Ram 3500 that the dealer registered for 8900# when I bought it in March. I'm in NY state. No idea where they came up with that weight. With the camper loaded, I'm at 13,300#. I used the NYS DMV website to calculate the registration cost add if I were to register it for 13,300#, it's only about $40 / year more, so cost isn't an issue. What I'm concerned about:

- If I register it for 13,300#, are there any "Gotcha's" I need to worry about, like I need to have a different driver license or need to have have commercial numbers on the truck, or my insurance will be much higher, or anything else you can think of? Is there a magic weight number that jumps me into any additional "Gotcha's"?

Thanks,
Scott

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC
32 REPLIES 32

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Kayteg1 wrote:
burningman wrote:
I’ve never heard of anyone actually being hassled about weight ratings from the DOT while driving a pickup truck with a camper.
I do know all about the rules around here, I’ve run trucks of all sizes from 1-tons to 105,500 pound Peterbilts for a living for 30 years.

I recall 1 of our British Columbia member reporting such incident.
When execution of the law for TC still is not existent,

ya I have only heard of the one and it was a truck camper on I believe a 1/2 tone towing a trailer with two quads and canoes and such. so the front tires were almost in the air. point being is you took one look at it and said oh, thats just a little overloaded... 😉

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
I’ve never heard of anyone actually being hassled about weight ratings from the DOT while driving a pickup truck with a camper.
I do know all about the rules around here, I’ve run trucks of all sizes from 1-tons to 105,500 pound Peterbilts for a living for 30 years.

I recall 1 of our British Columbia member reporting such incident.
When execution of the law for TC still is not existent, the cash-hungry jurisdictions are finding new ways to increase revenue.
With high fuel prices - speeders are rare, so that revenue took nose dive.
I've been driving trucks in California for 30 years and in the past trucks were registered at curb weight, so registration fees were low and nobody enforced driving via scales.
Than about 10 years ago, CA changed the laws requiring truck owner declaration on GCVW, what in case of dually registering at 25,000lb add about $500 annual "weigh fee"
Than all those gooseneck trailers who were bypassing weight stations become Police target. I personally witnesses how many of them were harassed, becouse of brake-away battery was not fully charged and such.
Legally each commercially registered truck (above 13,xxx LB GVWR) in CA has obligation to drive via all scales, when some scales require pickups as well. CA registered truck has weight stickers on cabin sides, so if you pay 10,000 lb registration and they check you for 11,000lb, you are in troubles.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest problem is there are 50 sets of rules governing vehicle registration .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Lexx wrote:
.. It's really too bad this stuff is so hard to figure out. That yellow sticker really confuses a lot of people unnecessarily.

Yeah, it is amazing how people have hard time to understand simple numbers on truck weight, where everybody is dealing every year with much more complicated number differences between what they earn and what they are paying taxes on.
This is very parallel situation.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
From what I've been reading I'm glad that I live in Utah.
Registered weight on my registration on my 2500 is blank.

OKlahoma is the same. The weight line is blank.
We have no weights to register a non commercial vehicle.
I've seen past threads about registering a truck from different states may require a GCW number or GVW number or a certain payload number above curb weight and of course no numbers. Kinda amusing when someone advises all you have to do is register your truck for more GVW.
No doubt some members from the OPs state can help but the bottom line is the OPs state DMV offices will be the bottom line.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Lexx wrote:
Yes, I remember this form now. The lady at the DMV had me check "A" for GVWR up to 15k lbs. My CVRA fee is $332.

So I guess if I want to carry one of the big truck campers, I would need to check the "B" range for 15k-20k lbs and pay an extra $115 fee.

WOW!!! And I thought $136.75 to renew my 2500HD was bad.

On the registration the weight is blank.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I remember this form now. The lady at the DMV had me check "A" for GVWR up to 15k lbs. My CVRA fee is $332.

So I guess if I want to carry one of the big truck campers, I would need to check the "B" range for 15k-20k lbs and pay an extra $115 fee.

I would then be technically legal per my registration. Some would question whether it's really legal however, since the GVWR if it were over 15k lbs, would most certainly be over the yellow payload sticker. Heck, technically even at the class A CVRA rating, if I'm at 14,800 lbs, I'd be 800 lbs over my class III.

But as I've stated before since my rear axle ratings are good up to 16k lbs, and my tire ratings are good to 15,800 lbs, I'm technically just fine at 16k lbs GVWR. It's really too bad this stuff is so hard to figure out. That yellow sticker really confuses a lot of people unnecessarily.

Buzzcut1 wrote:

It goes in increments my truck fit the 10,000- 15,000 check box and the fees for the 15K

but here is the weight fee schedule. this is in addition to the registration fees https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/05/reg4008.pdf
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lexx wrote:
My experience when crossing the border from US to Canada is they really care about banned produce and meats.

Driving throughout Alberta and BC however, we hardly ever saw RCMP and certainly were never bothered by law enforcement in the thousands of miles I've driven over the years.

Same here, AND how much alkyhol you're importing or exporting. Got the 3rd degree about that once because I couldn't tell the US guard exactly how many leftover beers were in the cooler!
The only hassle with vehicles was with a dealer loaner truck, that coincidentally I hade driven over and back twice prior in previous weeks and the 3rd time back into the US, I got the 20 questions and then yelled at for not having documentation in my name regarding the truck. Think they just stalled long enough to verify it wasn't stolen or something.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
From what I've been reading I'm glad that I live in Utah.
Registered weight on my registration on my 2500 is blank.

When I was equipment trailer shopping in Nebraska - they offer me 7000 lb trailer with no brakes.
Price was excelent, but I still passed.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:

ALL Weigh Stations in California have prominent signage that say NO PICKUPS

NOT ALL,
But you should do your homework what is consider a pickup in CA.
I went as far as stopping at weigh station and going into their office with the question.
2 officers could not give me instant answer, but after pulling fat book it turned that in CA a pickup is vehicle below 13,xxx lb GVW.
I put exes as there were numbers that I could never memorize.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Presuming your truck is fine as is registered in NY

It isn't.

NY registers by the gross weight of the truck, loaded. So 8900 gives him virtually zero "legal" payload. This is how the person at the NY DMV explained it to me when I went to register my first pickup truck.

You can fly under the radar like this on a privately owned truck because nobody pays attention. You don't have to get weighed or inspected, so it never comes up.

The dummies at the dealership registered my 2015 Silverado 1500 at 7200lbs, full GVWR, even though the truck I traded in was only registered at 5800. It's only money.

My 2002 Silverado 3500 DRW is only registered for 10,000 because even at that weight it has 3600lbs of payload. I could go up to 12,500.

You can do pretty much whatever you want on a commercial registration in NY. All it takes is money.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lexx wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Can't help you there. In California all pickups are treated as Commercial Vehicles. But only a Class C is needed to operate unless you are towing over 10,001 with a bumper pull or 15,0001 pounds with a gooseneck or 5th wheel then you need a class A. I have my F350 dually registered at 15,000 which is over Truck + TC + plus tongue wt when towing. It is not cheap

Any idea how much more the registration would be for 15k lbs GVWR vs 14k? Mine's at 14k right now, but if I get a truck camper, I'm going to need close to 16k.

It goes in increments my truck fit the 10,000- 15,000 check box and the fees for the 15K

but here is the weight fee schedule. this is in addition to the registration fees https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/05/reg4008.pdf
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Can't help you there. In California all pickups are treated as Commercial Vehicles. But only a Class C is needed to operate unless you are towing over 10,001 with a bumper pull or 15,0001 pounds with a gooseneck or 5th wheel then you need a class A. I have my F350 dually registered at 15,000 which is over Truck + TC + plus tongue wt when towing. It is not cheap

Any idea how much more the registration would be for 15k lbs GVWR vs 14k? Mine's at 14k right now, but if I get a truck camper, I'm going to need close to 16k.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh