cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck starts on its own

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last night was watching tv heard my truck start . Went into my garage truck was running all lights on dashboard was flashing, Has anyone else had this to happen? The key was off
2019 Duramax. 2500 HD 80 thousand miles

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS
66 REPLIES 66

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
There have been cases where TV remotes opened garage doors.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tvov wrote:
You know, I am not surprised at all if vehicles start themselves randomly.

There are so much electronic stuff on vehicles now things are bound to go haywire sometimes.

I am amazed at the options on my 2021 F150 XLT... it is far from the gold plated titanium option levels, and I still am learning about options it has even after owning it for a year.

I still have a ring of keys that fit all GM locks up to '68.
I was amazed at how often Pete keys would interchange.
How many different electronic codes can be used to remote control things? Not just cars, but lots of things. Can somebody adjusting their home temperature open your car windows?

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
You know, I am not surprised at all if vehicles start themselves randomly.

There are so much electronic stuff on vehicles now things are bound to go haywire sometimes.

I am amazed at the options on my 2021 F150 XLT... it is far from the gold plated titanium option levels, and I still am learning about options it has even after owning it for a year.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
My BMW rolled down every window and opened the sun roof when I was at a gun range the other day. Super weird. I'm glad it wasn't raining and I was away from the car.

A lot of cars actually have that as a "feature", you can remotely roll down (or roll down part way) windows to help cool down the car on hot days.

Many times it is a certain series of button pushing on the remote start.

My sister found that out accidentally on her Honda Passport - even the dealer didn't know at first what was going on with the windows.

Our 2015 Ford Fusion can do it, something about the unlock buttons on the key fob.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Busdriver wrote:
Last night was watching tv heard my truck start . Went into my garage truck was running all lights on dashboard was flashing, Has anyone else had this to happen? The key was off

Does the truck have remote start? If so did you or DW have a fob in a pocket or purse that may have gotten bumped.

If no remote start I would replace the ignition switch.

at least on my 2015.5 duramax and my 2004 duramax in order to do a remote start with the fob (a) the vehicle must be locked and (b) you must hold the start button long enough for the truck to start. at least 5 seconds, longer when the truck is cold. so, highly unlikely it will be a "pocket start". Same if you use the phone app.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
Sport45 wrote:
Pop the hood release and see if that doesn’t disable the remote start.

I believe most factory remote starts are disabled by the hood switch to protect service techs from dumb customers.

that and in every car I've seen/had with remote start ALL the doors must be closed, windows rolled up, trunk closed AND the doors locked before a remote start will work. Along with no CEL.

The above is certainly true on my 2015.5 Duramax, along with our Acura, Daughters Ford Escape and DIL mazda 6.

Our 2014 Yukon only needs the hood shut, no CEL and the doors locked (even if they’re open).

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
My BMW rolled down every window and opened the sun roof when I was at a gun range the other day. Super weird. I'm glad it wasn't raining and I was away from the car.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Do "all the lights on the dash" normally flash when the remote start is used?

Not on my 2015 Chevy Silverado. Dash doesn't even light up.

Lights flashing on the dash to me is an indication of something not-normal going on.

I would NOT push the truck outside, as that might be the desired result here. If it's hackers driving around the neighborhood looking to see what vehicles start, you might find it missing one morning.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
I would take a quick video of it before heading to the dealer, they may think you're nuts. My trunk had random blinking lights when it was shut off, found it was the ABS module was cracked and winter moisture getting in. The dealer looked at me rather queer, I asked him, you think I'm lying, watch this. He muttered some apologies.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Neighbor probably playing with TV remote. 🙂

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:

I believe most factory remote starts are disabled by the hood switch to protect service techs from dumb customers.

that and in every car I've seen/had with remote start ALL the doors must be closed, windows rolled up, trunk closed AND the doors locked before a remote start will work. Along with no CEL.

The above is certainly true on my 2015.5 Duramax, along with our Acura, Daughters Ford Escape and DIL mazda 6.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer

’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would open the manual and see if there is a way to disable the remote start.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Busdriver wrote:

Does the truck have remote start? If so did you or DW have a fob in a pocket or purse that may have gotten bumped.

If no remote start I would replace the ignition switch.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
A quick search shows this happening with Duramax. I would call the dealer and get it checked out.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)