cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Tires

jgrimes
Explorer
Explorer
I've worn out my LT265-70-17 BFG Rugged Trail TAs. I've read numerous bad reviews on the current production of BFG. My tire guy recommends Cooper Discoverers A/T3/ Also big on Yokohoma Geolanders. Any body have experience with these? Insights?
15 REPLIES 15

bobsue2
Explorer
Explorer
Cooper is a good tire made in US.

Actually they were just bought out this summer by a company from India...I know its true cause I read it on the internet....I'm getting real close to replacing my current set with a set of Cooper's because my tire guy has them on sale...I'm going with a 14 ply load G...GL
2013 Key Largo
12 MegaCab 3500 DRW 4x4 18k Superslide 19.5 Michelin LDX-2

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cooper is a good tire made in US. I run the Discoverer H/T and love them. Not doing any serious offroading. But dry camp in the forest & desert all the time.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

jgrimes
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Now time to go shopping.

catfishmontana
Explorer
Explorer
I will buy almost any other tire before Michelins.
2016 F350 Platinum Dually, CC
2014 Cyclone 3800 toyhauler
B&W Companion 20K

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
Michelins repeatedly are the top scorers in the auto tire tests conducted in the car magazines and consumer reports .
i have a set of the LT 265 /75 R 16 load range E on my hd2500 diesel pickup .
they have about 60,000 miles on them .
they are more "round " and balanced , and are a quieter tire than other brands .i have had really good luck with the michelins on our sedan and our sportscar.
Continental and Bridgestone are the other two top brands that are repeatedly at the top .all three are more expensive than the rest of the brands .

Blackcell
Explorer
Explorer
I'm brand loyal to Toyo based on my experience especially since I go off-road and some snow. I'm on my 3rd set. Goodyear Wrangler and Michelins were******but that is just my opinion.
2009 Carriage Cameo 35SB3, 12.4K dry, 36' Fiver
2012 F350 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ultimate FX4, Chrome package, Nav, SRW, CC, LB, 11.5K GVWR, 3.55 ELA, 20" wheels, Toyo AT II, Mor/ryde pin box, Husky 26K hitch
United States Navy Combat Veteran

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone is brand loyal and says anything other than their brand is junk. I can't really say anything is junk since I've been running the same brand for 10+ years 200,000+ miles and have NO reason to look elsewhere. Michelin is what I go with. I've read stories of cracked sidewalls and a billion other problems but until I see/experience them with my own eyes I just can't switch.

I think like anything you're about 100X more likely to hear/read of a problem than a good experience. My best advice is to look into the research available to you. Consumer reports, tirerack and all the others all have lots of reviews and testing. The last thing I'd do is listen to a salesmen at a tire store. He's usually going to be motivated by whichever factory rep is greasing his pocket the heaviest on any given month.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I'm enjoying my current 265 70 17 Made in the USA Nitto Crosstecs.

Take a look.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
RWDIII wrote:
Not just current production,my 2006 F150 cam with BFG tires that were real POS.
Went to Goodyear Lt 285-65-18 C rated and like night and day.

If they were the factory stock tires, hard to compare as the truck manufactures will require certain things (different rubber compounds) in the tires. But you buy what you think is the same tire for replacement at Discount Tire (or similar) and the replacement tire is night & day better!

I have read a lot of reviews on tires that people say were great as replacement tires, but the people who had the tire as OEM gave it a******rating.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
Not just current production,my 2006 F150 cam with BFG tires that were real POS.
Went to Goodyear Lt 285-65-18 C rated and like night and day.
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

CND_SuperCrew
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer the Hankook ATM. It is a well designed AT tire that provides more siping then the other AT I have looked at. Given the fact your in MT, you get snow and the extra siping will be a bonus once the snow falls. 2nd choice would be the Toyo AT II

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/Product/product.aspx?pageNum=1&subNum=1&ChildNum=4&FnCode=04

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-at-ii-on-off-road-all-terrain-tires
TV 2012 F150 loaded XLT EB SuperCrew 7700GVWR Maxtow 6.5'
TT 2021 Keystone Passport GT 2870RL

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
the rugged trails have been replaced with rugged terrain I think they are called and actually are pretty good. They were squirmy for the 1st couple of hundred miles but have been good ever since. The rugged trails were hard and didnt like a lot of highway they told me and so the new design/tire.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't owned a set of BFG's (AT's) in some time (last set bought in about '05 for my 2k Chevy, sold in '10), so not sure how they are now, but recently had a set of the Cooper A/T3's (11k miles) and was very happy with them!

Now I know 11k mi doesn't seem like very much to say I had a set, but we now have a 2500HD as the rebates and trade were to hard to pass up! Otherwise we would still be rolling on them!

One thing I am NOT happy with the A/T3's..... they are not available in the stock size for our 2500HD!!!!! I would definitely buy them again!!!!

Good luck deciding!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

JaredWPhillips
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently very pleased with the Goodyear Wrangler Authority.
MY RVing BLOG
  • 2002 Chevy Suburban Z71 5.3 V8

• 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 4x4 5.3 V8. GoodYear Wrangler Authority E-Rated tires, FireStone AirBags.

• TT: 2010 KZ Spree 240 BHS