cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tundra HD

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
After seeing some internet rumors about HD Tundras, some with Cummins V8 diesels, DRWs, etc, I'm wondering: Do you know anything official from Toyota? Do you have a link?
20 REPLIES 20

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
If Toyota were putting a diesel in their trucks, why would they put a Cummins in when they have a full line of reputable Hino diesels at their disposal.

Ecodiesel is another example.

From what I understand, the Hino isn't currently designed to meet USA diesel standards, whereas it meets European standards. There was some question about cost and reliability to "retrofit" the engine to meet our standards.

I tend to think that Toyota would rather create an "in house" diesel rather than purchase a diesel from an outside supplier. Toyota generally likes to design its own products.

I think rumors about a Cummins in a Toyota are just rumors. I would be more likely to believe that ***IF*** Toyota offers a diesel Tundra, they will design their own engine. That being said, I don't have much faith that Toyota wants to design a heavy duty Tundra. I think they are happy producing 100K +/- Tundras a year in their current facility in Texas.

No you have Hino's that meet US standards, otherwise they would be not sold in the US. Problem with the Truck Hino's, they are very heavy and a heavy cycle engine as well Hino's parts unlike Cummins cannot be obtained easily in the US
This Class 4 has a 210hp 5Litre engine, 440lbs ft of torque, but not a great engine for a Tundra

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
If Toyota were putting a diesel in their trucks, why would they put a Cummins in when they have a full line of reputable Hino diesels at their disposal.

Don't have a clue???? May want to read the first page of this thread..THAT's where the information was posted....

My post was a rhetorical question and wasn't directed specifically at you.

And yes, I read the first page and my reading and comprehension skills are still intact so I fully understand what has been discussed. I feel my post has as much validity to the thread as yours.

Thank you
S

My post had no validity, it was based on someone else speculation....Therefore, both of my post were completely meaningless:)

...oh, and you're welcome
J
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Toyota has had diesels in Australia forever but non with a descent payload, don't hold your breat.
Frank
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
spud1957 wrote:

Don't have a clue???? May want to read the first page of this thread..THAT's where the information was posted....

My post was a rhetorical question and wasn't directed specifically at you.

And yes, I read the first page and my reading and comprehension skills are still intact so I fully understand what has been discussed. I feel my post has as much validity to the thread as yours.

Thank you
S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
spud1957 wrote:

From what I understand, the Hino isn't currently designed to meet USA diesel standards, whereas it meets European standards. There was some question about cost and reliability to "retrofit" the engine to meet our standards.

I tend to think that Toyota would rather create an "in house" diesel rather than purchase a diesel from an outside supplier. Toyota generally likes to design its own products.

I think rumors about a Cummins in a Toyota are just rumors. I would be more likely to believe that ***IF*** Toyota offers a diesel Tundra, they will design their own engine. That being said, I don't have much faith that Toyota wants to design a heavy duty Tundra. I think they are happy producing 100K +/- Tundras a year in their current facility in Texas.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:

B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer

2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Bedlam
A lot of misinformation is floating around on the Toyota's. I thought I read somewhere that Toyota decided not to use the Cummins at this time and continue with gasoline engines (cannot find the link). Like you pointed out, the DRW was at a SEMA almost 10 years ago yet the pictures of the interior and exterior get recycled into new hype. Originally they were rumored to fit a Hino diesel...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
Best I can assume while following this closely, is that Toyota will likely have an all new Tundra in 2017/2018 and practically match what Nissan has done.

I think Toyota will offer a diesel engine and add an optional designation of "HD" to higher capacity rated trucks. And it sounds like the engine is practically identical to Nissan's...I have no resource for this. But it sure would be smart to help raise production volume and lower costs.

I see no indication of DRW. Those are pics from a 2007/2008 prototype, just before the project was killed due to the depression.

If Toyota is going with a Cummins; at this time there is only the 6.7 offered in the Ram trucks and the new V-8, which Nissan is going to use...unless Cummins is going to manufacture one just for Toyota, they'll use the same Cummins engine Nissan is using...

It appears Nissan will be offering higher capacity trucks in this new configuration.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I think the fact the engine was in house was a big part of it, but I think the real issue was the mpg. I don't see the 5.0L getting near the mpg as the EcoDiesel. The power of the 5.0L puts it closer to the big Cummins than would likely be ideal for Ram I think. The 5.0L works well when it is the only diesel option like Nissan or Toyota.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Best I can assume while following this closely, is that Toyota will likely have an all new Tundra in 2017/2018 and practically match what Nissan has done.

I think Toyota will offer a diesel engine and add an optional designation of "HD" to higher capacity rated trucks. And it sounds like the engine is practically identical to Nissan's...I have no resource for this. But it sure would be smart to help raise production volume and lower costs.

I see no indication of DRW. Those are pics from a 2007/2008 prototype, just before the project was killed due to the depression.

Bedlam
I think the Ram 1500 engine choice was due to availability within FCA plus the smaller Eco fit more platforms (Jeep). I'm sure there is a bigger profit margin by staying in house with the engine too.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I can't think of anyone that would want a "tractor engine" in their truck:B

Funny that Nissan has a Cummins and Toyota is possibly going to go to one, BUT, Ram opted for a different diesel engine, rather than the V-8 Cummins to be put in their 1500:h
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
If they do it I certainly hope they have figured out how to get some payload. I've been saying for a long time a more reasonably sized/priced diesel option would lead to more sales than the monster diesel motors they are making now but then I'm in a manfacturing job in an unrelated industry.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)