cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Turned away,told me they dont accept truck campers

chris_eck
Explorer
Explorer
I posted something similar on the Lance forum about this. I was turned away at Bay Bayou RV Resort Tampa , Fl. They said no truck campers per management. Looking out their office window I could see several $5000.00 travel trailers and a few worn out class C"s and some newer class A"s . I guess a $100k plus truck /camper combo doesn't meet their requirement for RV"s. Do any of you experience this a lot ? Should I mention that I have a truck camper from now on, even if they don't ask when I'm making a reservation ? 2017 ram 3500and 2016 Lance 1172. Thx Chris
Christopher W. eckenberg
56 REPLIES 56

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
stufarmer wrote:
First, we own a Truck Camper. I understand why we're refused in so many Campgrounds.

Letting a Truck and Camper in an Rv Park is like letting a Mobile Home move into your neighborhood.
Have you not seen what the average Truck and Camper looks like. It's embarrassing .
The Clampets are here. They must be on Vacation. To harsh .. You've done it to yourselves.
You think this truck and TC look embarrassing? It is a 1988 with decals removed.

This is a 2017

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Interesting encounters from across the board. I may have missed it in the original thread but was it the owner / operator / manager that declined the stay or was it a drone operating the front desk? A friendly request to speak to someone of authority and ask them to come inspect the rig for a second consideration might be successful at least some of the time. The key of course is to ask politely and with a smile and be prepared to have no for an answer.

Going out on a limb here but I think most if not all of us on this forum take pride in our rigs and keep them maintained and clean. It could be we are likely the exception (people interested enough in campers to post to a forum dedicated to campers). I think we have all seen our fair share of run down rigs on the road that we wouldn't want to be next to. If I was an owner of a campground (an actual dream of mine...) I can see how certain areas of the country might deal with roach coaches or mobile meth labs on a regular basis and implement rules to curb it.

Lastly, I think one reason why campers can get the hard road block could be because if the camper is abandoned (and had been removed from the truck) the campground (might) need to contract with a company to bring a forklift out to have it loaded onto a trailer and have it hauled out. That's a lot more costly than just hooking an abandoned trailer up to a truck and hauling it out or even having a tow truck operator coming out and towing an RV. Yes, if the jacks are still operational you could load the camper on a truck but then who's truck and who is going to accept liability should it get damaged? Tow Operators I believe have the proper insurance and equipment to haul vehicles and trailers and be covered. I doubt they have trucks ready to haul campers and still be covered.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
I was BSing with a campground manager about the age issue and unloading TCs in the camp ground. He had a nice campground, very clean, competitive in pricing and an easy fellow to talk to . It was family owned.

On the 10 year rule, he said you could not imagine the problems it solves. He said said it allowed them to screen the RVs to insure their campground did not look like a dump. He said over the years they have turned away just about

every imaginable piece of garbage on wheels you could imagine.

X2 !

When I am traveling going down South, I pull off the road whenever I see a CG sign that says easy off and easy on. Not looking for the Taj Mah-all, just some place to sleep for the night. So surprises come often.

Here are just but two of the MH's that I have had the pleasure to park next to! :B

And then there was this one that came complete with the owner, a 'man'
sporting bright red lipstick, orange wig, fishnet stockings and mini skirt! AND
everyday came out and bent all the way over to water the plants that were growing out of his MH!
A view burned into my eyes that I still have a hard time removing from my mind! :E

So I can definitely understand and am thankful for CG's that have the 10 year old rule which allows them to decide what comes in the CG and what doesn't for when I decide to stay at a CG for a week or two.

How would you like to make a 2 week reservation for your vacation with your family and have to park next to the above RV's for two weeks?!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
stufarmer, by your profile I see you are in FL. It may be true that the average TC is worn out in your part of the country.

In the Northwest and West, that's far from the truth. It's actually rare to see a worn out TC actually on a truck. Super common to see worn out Class As and TTs. Mainly because there are so many more Class As and TTs.

Out here in the West, people by TCs because they are the best tool for the job and if you spend any time in this forum, you'll note that most are meticulously maintained. If you compare the threads in this forum to the others at RV.NET, it's obvious that the TC people are superior. Joking, but for sure they have more invested than the average TT or Class A owner.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I was BSing with a campground manager about the age issue and unloading TCs in the camp ground. He had a nice campground, very clean, competitive in pricing and an easy fellow to talk to . It was family owned.

On the 10 year rule, he said you could not imagine the problems it solves. He said said it allowed them to screen the RVs to insure their campground did not look like a dump. He said over the years they have turned away just about every imaginable piece of garbage on wheels you could imagine. I ask if he turns away restored old RVs. He said no, he had no reason to think they were older than ten years old, so he did not ask. He said an unsightly rule would allow for more arguments.

I ask what California law prevented TCs from being removed from the truck at the campground. I said he did not know of any such law. He said there was a State Safety rule against removing the TC. I don't remember the State Agency. He said it is also in the insurance policy of his campground. He said he thinks the Safety rule was made back in the day when flimsy three jack systems were used. He said he personally was uncomfortable TCs off the trucks due to the potential of them falling in such a congested area, especially with lots of kids.

EDIT: Found some info on removing TC from truck. Appears there is a law.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24136271/print/true.cfm

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
stufarmer wrote:
First, we own a Truck Camper. I understand why we're refused in so many Campgrounds.

Letting a Truck and Camper in an Rv Park is like letting a Mobile Home move into your neighborhood.
Have you not seen what the average Truck and Camper looks like. It's embarrassing .
The Clampets are here. They must be on Vacation. To harsh .. You've done it to yourselves.

Brother them's fighten words !! LOL!

I have in my travels thru most of the west, has found that only when folks do not take care of their equipment does this kind of DISCRIMINATION exist. I have experienced so many places where the only vehicles/campers/trailers/coaches, are old tarp covered dirty and in fact with dangerous looking people. We were exhausted one afternoon, and just outside Cave Junction Oregon, we pulled in and found a spot available. Found out later when we went to town to do some laundry, it was known as a tweeker village!!

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Camp grounds are mostly privately run business and as a privater enterprise they can set the rules any way they want to...

Just like this website you are posting on....

And as such, if you don't meet the criteria for admission, you don't get admitted. End of story.

On here if you violate the users agreement your post gets expunged.

Move on.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
There are tens of thousands of CG's to choose from.

So why the spots that I would like are booked 6 months in advance?

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
You are missing the fact that we do have very strict "no discrimination" law in this country.

Oh brother. :R
"Discrimination is practiced commonly on the grounds of age, disability, ethnicity, origin, political belief, race, religion, sex," I.E. people, people, people....not material things.

Don't remember ever reading anything that pertains to RV's.

CG's are privately owned they can decide what vehicles they want on their property or not.

TC's are not the lone rangers. The Class C group encounters the same circumstances when a CG is listed as for Class A's only. Who cares anyway? There are tens of thousands of CG's to choose from.

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
I stay away from anything with "Resort" in the name. We do not have two little dogs that bark 18 hours a day or a golf cart. My wife and I do not have matching jogging suits or a 90 inch tv on the side of our "coach". We prefer not to camp among "Those People". Well I should say park with "Those People" as it's not camping.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Their website clearly states that they do not accept truck campers. They do not care how much you spent to buy it. Like thousands of other businesses, they have a business model that does not include you. Go elsewhere. That will make both sides happy.

You are missing the fact that we do have very strict "no discrimination" law in this country.

kbaum
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Their website clearly states that they do not accept truck campers. They do not care how much you spent to buy it. Like thousands of other businesses, they have a business model that does not include you. Go elsewhere. That will make both sides happy.

Very well said.
2013 Northern Lite 10 cdse
2012 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins Crew Cab

Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (home)

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
I always confirm if there are age restrictions while making reservations.

While my

trailer is brand new

my truck is not so much...

That's an interesting thing to ponder. The CG's that have RV age restrictions rules pertains to only the "RV". I.E. your trailer. Your tow vehicle would not even come into play.

I would seriously doubt that any CG with RV age restrictions would ever turn you away with your new trailer! :W