cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV tire life

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure its been talked about in the past, but I can't find it. I have Good Year tires on my p/u with only 30k miles and lots of tread left, but they are original tires. The sidewalls are clean no cracks or scuffs. Can they last longer or do I need to replace them. I replaced the tires on the TT every 5 years, the last time I used GY endurance. I was thinking about Michelin LTX for the P/U, what do you all use. Thanks in advance for your help.
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life
39 REPLIES 39

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had 5 year old LTX Michelins and the left driver on my old truck blew out and did $2,000 damage to the truck. Not a fan of Michelin tires due to the fact I could only get average over three sets on the old truck of 32,000 miles on them. New truck came with Transforce and not a real fan of them either.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Oh goody, another tire thread. The only way it could be better is if they're on an EV.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
grizz272 wrote:
Every set of Michelin tires I had were junk! I will not run Michelin on anything i own. Blows outs, flat tires for no reason, unable to balance or keep a balance they were all junk. As far as I am concerned stay as far away from Michelin as possible.

Strange how different users have different results.

Michelin is the best tires I have ever owned. Years of trouble free service, high mileage, excellent performance in all conditions.
I put them on and just drive. Minus 35C or plus 35C, dosen't matter, they just go and go and go. Current set has over 70,000 miles and still performing like a champ.
I won't buy anything but Michelin. They run circles around every other brand I have ever owned.

Possibly you just had one of those isolated bad experiences.

I agree with your comments on Michelin tires, Bob. I have always had very good experiences with them as well.

I actually just had a set of new Michelin LTX AT2 tires put on my truck this past Tuesday at Costco and the difference between them and the stock Generals that were on the truck is amazing; much smoother and no more vibration at highway speeds! They are also super quiet, which is great for an all terrain tire.

I would have gone with the MS2's or Defenders, but unfortunately Michelin doesn't make either in LT235/80R17 which is what my dually takes. I was going to go with LT245/75R17's which are made in those models, but I was getting flack from tire shops about mounting them on the 6" wide rims on my Ram (they're supposed to be mounted on 6 1/2" rims) so I stuck with the stock size tires.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Currently running OEM Goodyear tires on my 2500. Thought this year would be the time to change them out. Talked to the tire guy about new tires, he told me the tires are good and to keep driving - almost 70K miles on the truck. No reason to change if good tread and regular driving, even if not a lot of driving. The last few years the truck only gets 5-7K per year.

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
Went thru the same quandary with my original Goodyear tires on a 2014 Titan. Right at 30,000 miles on them but the date code was late 2013. Figured that if the new set lasts 6-7 years, why not go ahead and replace? Found some Bridgestone Duelers on sales at Discount Tire and have not looked back. The ride is smoother and quieter and now no worries. It's not like I'm going to wear this set out either!! At 11-12 MPG around town, 9-10 towing and gas at $3.00 a gallon; I'm not going too far anytime soon!
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS

blt2ski
As jimlin points out. Depending upon the what type of driving you do, mileage will vary! My tire dealer tells me due to city driving, loads I carry etc, I and other landscape contractors get 20-30% less miles than ave person. If you do ALL freeway miles, you get an additional 20-30% vs ave.
Cummins12v from his comments, along with a few others on here do MANY miles non stop. I on the other hand, stop and go every .25-.5 miles. Every stop and go, turn I make, the tires skid to a stop, spin upon take off, fronts skid sideways turning.....granted NONE of our Asset's can feel this skidding etc, but it occurs. So I get less miles than the ave person.
Meanwhile not doing that work any more, I drive a van around Puget sound doing marine sales and parts delivery. My last van, an MB Sprinter, I put close to 80,000 using Firstone HT tires. How many of you have complained about 30-40k miles only?!?!??
One person earlier said GY SRA tires were good....got a set with new to me used GM 1500 in February. On hard dry surfaces, they work well. Rain wetted, slush, black ice, I've never had a tire that slips and spins as much as these POS tires. I've had GYs before. Mostly Uni-Steel versions. No complaints!
Mileage, traction ability can and will vary depending upon what and how you drive, where you drive etc. What works for me, may not for you, vice versa.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I easily got 120k on the 03 up Michelin take offs on my 98 2500 4x4. I made it to 150k on the OE rear tires on my 81 VW PU and drove one flat to air up and decided it was time to replace, still had 3/16" tread.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
uncle bob wrote:

Yeah....my long gone BIL drove the same trucks as I did but he always got worse mpg as I did...or ran his tires on his same GM pickups for 25k-30k miles vs my same GM trucks and tire brands could double his miles per set. However he drove like a bat out of hellz while I'm a conservative driver. He also lived in the city and I've always been rural/highway miles. Makes a difference.
My then new'01 and then '03 both came OEM with Michelin LTX AS. Ran the '01 for 85k miles and sold it. Still good tread left.
Ran the '03 for 115k miles before going to a AT type tread. Those LTX AS had no traction (2wd trucks) in green grass but being a hard rubber tire they lasted a lot of miles.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Just put 6 Continental Terrain Contact AT on my truck and so far I like the ride
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

grizz272 wrote:
Every set of Michelin tires I had were junk! I will not run Michelin on anything i own. Blows outs, flat tires for no reason, unable to balance or keep a balance they were all junk. As far as I am concerned stay as far away from Michelin as possible.

Michelin is the best tires I have ever owned. Years of trouble free service, high mileage, excellent performance in all conditions.
I put them on and just drive. Minus 35C or plus 35C, dosen't matter, they just go and go and go. Current set has over 70,000 miles and still performing like a champ.
I won't buy anything but Michelin. They run circles around every other brand I have ever owned.

Possibly you just had one of those isolated bad experiences.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
bob213 wrote:
Discount Tire will not fix a tire over 7 years old if it has a nail in it so take that as a guide.

They also won't re-balance a tire that old. Ask me how I know.
I will likely replace my 7-8 year old truck tires this year because they have aged out.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
poorboy wrote:
I'm sure its been talked about in the past, but I can't find it. I have Good Year tires on my p/u with only 30k miles and lots of tread left, but they are original tires. The sidewalls are clean no cracks or scuffs. Can they last longer or do I need to replace them. I replaced the tires on the TT every 5 years, the last time I used GY endurance. I was thinking about Michelin LTX for the P/U, what do you all use. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sounds like you are making out well. I have the original Firestones that came on my 18 2500 Ram and they are very worn at 30k miles. I'm milking every mile out of them before my July inspection. Guess I have not purchased tires in a while but was shocked to see prices now starting at $300 and going up for my size. Multiple tire shops saying all terrain LT tires 30k is fairly average.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
I had 7 year old Michelins on my truck with only 15,000 miles. Parked in garage at all times when not in use. I had a blowout on I-40 just east of Barstow, CA that did $3500 damage to my rear quarter panel. Not an experience I want to have again. Discount Tire will not fix a tire over 7 years old if it has a nail in it so take that as a guide. I would not go over 7 years without replacing.

I had 2 good looking seven year old Michelin tires explode on my truck several years ago. The truck was technically totalled. I called Michelin to find out what was going on and quality manager for the US told me that nobody in their right mind would keep a tire over 6 years and refused to take any responsibility for the damage. Those were the last Michelin tires that I will ever own.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
There is NO recommendation for car/pickup tires....that 5-7 yrs is for Trailer tires due to sitting stationary for long periods

If your truck sits...then maybe

Sure there is, you don't hear about it in relation to cars very often because the vast majority of people wear out a set of tires long before they age out.

The opposite is true of trailer tires. Not many people drive daily in stop & go traffic pulling their trailer. It's mostly sit for months then roll smoothly along a rural freeway resulting in negligible tread wear.

If the OP has only 30k miles on a 5yr old set, that's a pretty good indication he doesn't use the truck a lot.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV