cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV tire life

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure its been talked about in the past, but I can't find it. I have Good Year tires on my p/u with only 30k miles and lots of tread left, but they are original tires. The sidewalls are clean no cracks or scuffs. Can they last longer or do I need to replace them. I replaced the tires on the TT every 5 years, the last time I used GY endurance. I was thinking about Michelin LTX for the P/U, what do you all use. Thanks in advance for your help.
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life
39 REPLIES 39

I am a strong believer in the Michelin LTX. I have had them on several vehicles.
I believe they became the Defender series a few years ago.
I did see something where they may not be available in my size for my Dually. That's a shame, I want more of the same when I replace them.

Mine have 114,807K - 71,338 miles on them and starting to get close to the end. Might hit 75000 miles but not a lot more. They are awesome tires. They will be 5 years old May 19th.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're replacing tires with 50% treadwear left, why waste money on expensive tires that have 1,000,000 treadwear rating?
Like Vahalla360 said, find a decent set on sale and save $$$$$ for camping. I love Michelin, but not for a truck that only goes 6-7,000 miles a year.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
michelin website.... Q&A
*What is the expected service life of tires?

**While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal wear limit.**

I've bought tires for my trucks since the late '50s. Lots of tire brands..... but the last 20 years or so I use mostly Bridgestone P and LT tires on my trucks.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
bob213 wrote:
I had 7 year old Michelins on my truck with only 15,000 miles. Parked in garage at all times when not in use. I had a blowout on I-40 just east of Barstow, CA that did $3500 damage to my rear quarter panel. Not an experience I want to have again. Discount Tire will not fix a tire over 7 years old if it has a nail in it so take that as a guide. I would not go over 7 years without replacing.

They don't call em Michiblows for nothing, lol.
On a serious note, I've has Michelins (and other brands) that showed cracking after only a few years and other tires that showed no outward evidence of age at double that or more.
And a "blowout" isn't evidence of a bad tire necessarily unless one can say with certainty that there was no damage that occurred or road hazards that contributed or caused the blowout.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I had 7 year old Michelins on my truck with only 15,000 miles. Parked in garage at all times when not in use. I had a blowout on I-40 just east of Barstow, CA that did $3500 damage to my rear quarter panel. Not an experience I want to have again. Discount Tire will not fix a tire over 7 years old if it has a nail in it so take that as a guide. I would not go over 7 years without replacing.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Run em til they need replacing.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is NO recommendation for car/pickup tires....that 5-7 yrs is for Trailer tires due to sitting stationary for long periods

If your truck sits...then maybe
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
The recommended is 5-7yrs.

If the truck gets regular use, I might lean toward the upper end of the range. A little bit of flexing while driving tends to redistribute the plasticizers in the rubber negating some of the UV degradation. If the truck is only used 3-4 times a year during trips, I would lean more toward the lower end.

A good option is as you hit 5yr start looking for tire sales. If you get them for 20% off, losing a year or so of use on the old tires isn't much of a hit.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the vehicle is stored indoors I would easily go 7 years. If not then inspect them. Car tires can last longer than trailer tires. But if your not sure, then replace them. The tread is probably around 50% so they are nearing the end of their useful life anyway.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Generally speaking, tires should be replace every 5 - 7 years due to age, regardless of tread wear. I have the Michelin Defenders on our truck and I'm very happy with them. My only complaint is that the tread is a little more open that the OEM Cooper tires so they pick up gravel more on gravel surfaces (like in campgrounds, etc.). My BIL who is a veterinarian/farmer/RVer/truck rebuilder won't use anything but the Michelins on his truck, either.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015