cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultra light trailers

ClemsonFanSuzy
Explorer
Explorer
We are long time RVers who need to downsize to something our Toyota Oddysey can tow (MAX 3500 GVTW). Looking for reviews, comments on ultra light trailers.

We are looking most closely at Starcraft AR-One (18-20') and a Jay Flight Swift SLX 185 RB, but are open to any manufacturer. We are sure that we want weight under 3500, solid sides, no slides, not a pod or teardrop. Mostly want info on durability and any other recommendations. Thanks a ton!
25 REPLIES 25

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever trailer you get, make sure that your vehicle can safely stop the trailer without overheating the brakes, especially in hilly country. A van will have no trouble pulling a trailer. But the braking is a different issue.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
.Check these out: http://www.kz-rv.com/products/sportsmen-classic-travel-trailers/index.html

We have the 17RBS and tow it w/ a Honda Ridgeline.

For what ever reason the link doesn't work so google KZ campers go to Sportsman Classic

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the op needs to find out more about the tow vehicle being used.

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
www.trailmanor.com has lightweight hard sided TT's as well as fold up models.

This is the direction we went as well for several reasons. Weight was one, you can get a lot more room in TM as it increases in size when you open it, the height is less than 84" when closed so it tows behind my Tacoma very nicely, and it fits in my shop which has an 84" garage door height.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
www.trailmanor.com has lightweight hard sided TT's as well as fold up models.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

allenm
Explorer
Explorer
As an ultra light trailer owner myself, here's a couple things to consider. You will have more storage than you can use without exceeding the GVWR. Be prepared to seriously downsize what you carry.

Both ultra lights I have owned a Jayco and a Starcraft have had squeaky floors. I chalk that up to frame flex and lightweight materials.

Not saying these are necessarily bad things. But you can't expect an ultra light to be the same as a heavier trailer. Gotta give up something.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moderator notified to move this to TT... welcome to the forums.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
We own an AR-One and are very pleased with it. Yes, it's a bare bones trailer, but that's what we were looking for. We've had zero problems and it was very inexpensive.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
you will have trouble finding a solid side, no pod or teardrop, that will be under the 3,500 lbs. that doesn't have too much surface area to be towed by your vehicle, either Honda or Toyota. a RPod might work. and the tow package question is important. My highlander is rated for 5,000 lbs. with tow package, 2,000 without it.
bumpy

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Is your van a Honda Odyssey or Toyaota Sienna? No such vehicle as a Toyota Odyssey. What model and does it have a tow package?
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
I chose my Lance because it is a lightweight, 4 Seasons Package availability, also the solar package. The quality is pretty great too. I say the same thing about Northwoods Mfg, but they're all pretty heavy!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!