cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Carbon monoxide alarm goes off while baking in oven

danv1317
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: After taking the TT to get some service done, it was found that the flap on the rear of the RV that vents gasses had closed. The FLAP is about 9 feet high from the ground, not at eye level, not even near eye level. The flap is made to be open, but also closed when not in use. This had closed and the little buttons that keep it closed were indeed flipped over it keeping closed. I never saw this vent before. The RV service tech said 99% of people he talks don't even know this flap exists outside the rig.

After dewinterizing my 29' springfield and cleaning the mouse nests out of the oven, i started cooking with the oven. Every time i open the oven, the carbon monoxide alarm goes off. I am starting to think maybe there's mice and/or a nest in the vent that goes from the inside the oven outside which is blocking flow. I looked into the oven but see nothing and can't tell exactly where they came in. Would the vent for this oven be on the roof or straight out through the wall and is this something that's possible?

Any other ideas?
33 REPLIES 33

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
"The carbon monoxide detector going off is one up high on the ceiling"

I am thinking it is normally the smoke alarm, that is closer to the ceiling, and the LP/CO is near the floor, hard wired.

Jerry

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
It's pretty clear that the symptoms the OP reports, i.e. CO alarm going off and foods taking twice as long to bake, that the mouse nests cleared out of the oven are only part of the blockages. The entire oven needs going over, especially the burner and the air inlet thereto.

This is NOT a minor issue. Carbon monoxide kills. That's why there is a CO alarm in the first place. Do not assume the alarm is faulty. Check out carefully that oven. Do not attempt to cook other stuff until you've cleared up the issue, and for certain, do not stay in the rig while making the first batch of goodies after you think you've gotten the oven straight, just in case. This is a matter of life and death.

TOTALLY AGREE !!!!!
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
bobndot wrote:
My oven does the same thing at times.
Detectors have expiration dates on them.
There are 2 types of detectors Ion and photo, some people use both types.
Try moving the detector to another location, it might be too close to the oven.
Use the overhead vent to exhaust to the outside before you open the oven door.

more detector info, rv net thread

Ion and photo are types of smoke particulate detectors.

Carbon monoxide is detected by a dedicated chemical gas sensor. As is the methane (LP) detector.

o.k. thank u.

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Message deleted
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD

danv1317
Explorer
Explorer
As one of the posters said above, there are vents in the top of the oven which i assume vent gasses up into the trailer (which then should get vented outside by the hood fan). To tell you the truth, this is the first time i've been living in the trailer with cold weather where we haven't had a ton of windows open while cooking. The carbon monoxoide detector going off is one up high on the ceiling but also is on the far end of the TT in the bedroom (rear kitchen, front living). The floor one in the kitchen that is hardwired is not going off.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
It's pretty clear that the symptoms the OP reports, i.e. CO alarm going off and foods taking twice as long to bake, that the mouse nests cleared out of the oven are only part of the blockages. The entire oven needs going over, especially the burner and the air inlet thereto.

This is NOT a minor issue. Carbon monoxide kills. That's why there is a CO alarm in the first place. Do not assume the alarm is faulty. Check out carefully that oven. Do not attempt to cook other stuff until you've cleared up the issue, and for certain, do not stay in the rig while making the first batch of goodies after you think you've gotten the oven straight, just in case. This is a matter of life and death.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
danv1317, please be sure to get your oven inspected and come back and let us know the end results. This is something that we all need to know about. Scottiemom's story is a great lesson to share and read about - turns out that they should not have ignored the alarm.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:

Ion and photo are types of smoke particulate detectors.

Carbon monoxide is detected by a dedicated chemical gas sensor. As is the methane (LP) detector.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
danv1317 wrote:
After dewinterizing my 29' springfield and cleaning the mouse nests out of the oven, i started cooking with the oven.

After having once had the experience of a mouse getting into our trailer's heating ducts and having had to replace them entirely to get rid of the disgusting mess & smell all I can say is - EEWWWWWWW ! :E If my wife ever got wind of the fact a mouse had gotten into our oven I certainly wouldn't have to be worrying about possible CO leakage from the oven, I'd be ripping that oven out of the trailer toute suite!! - NO question about it. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
When my parents bought a used class B my sister and I both smelled propane in their coach. She bought them a detector. When we went camping with them a few weeks later, she asked why it wasn't installed. My Dad told her the darn thing was defective. Seems when he installed it, it kept going off.

So DH and BIL got busy and found the leak. . . a gas line under the motorhome. Loose fitting. Tightened it up and installed the detector. All was well.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
As a retired Fire Fighter I can advise you don't mess around with CO if you suspect a problem with the oven have it checked by a professional.
The only true way to accurately detect the level of CO present in an enclosed environment is with a multi gas meter that will read both the CO levels and O2 (oxygen) level within the confined space.
Your detector may be faulty but don't always assume. CO levels over 20 PPM (parts per million) are hazardous to your health. Over 100 PPM deadly.
Be safe and get things checks.
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What is make and model of you oven?
It seems to me that there is louvered vents in the oven that exhausts near the rear of the stove tops.
There could be a friend in there!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If it's the ceiling alarm we move it every time my Wife cooks pancakes. If it's the floor alarm do as previously suggested.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is no outside vent. The oven flame is not burning properly. You need to stop using it immediately and get it fixed before using it again.