cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrading trailer tires

Fnp5150
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1 year old Jayco TT that weighs a little over 5000lbs loaded. A neighbor recommended I replace the tires that came on it with heavier duty tires to decrease the risk of a blow-out. Is this needed? If it's a common problem, then for sake of safety I probably will. Just hate replacing practically new tires.
29 REPLIES 29

Fnp5150
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody have any experience with putting nitrogen in their TT tires?

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Fnp5150 wrote:
I have a 1 year old Jayco TT that weighs a little over 5000lbs loaded. A neighbor recommended I replace the tires that came on it with heavier duty tires to decrease the risk of a blow-out. Is this needed? If it's a common problem, then for sake of safety I probably will. Just hate replacing practically new tires.

Your neighbor makes sense/cents.
A few folks pooh pooh recommendations from others especially this forum because they say they have never had a problem with their tires and dismissing the fact many folks have had issues.

Looking in on other rv websites/horse shows/rodeo events/haulers website/dog show websites/atv/boating/ and on and on/etc.....all have the same issues with ST tires on their trailers. So its not just a few members on RV.net that have had ST tire issues.

Only you can make the decision to upgrade tires....but first IMO you need to know which tire brand/type/size/load range be a upgrade in your case. You may have one of the more problematic brands or you may have one that has fewer issues.

Read around all the different rv websites for more input on tires........ or anything about a rv.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
hawkeye-08 wrote:
We bought an used 1998 Terry trailer in 2008. It had the original tires, previous owner keep the trailer inside shop for storage, under car port during the season. We had to replace the rubber valve stems due to leaking, but the tires lasted until 2013. I'm not saying all tires will last that long, but they can. Check the pressure each time before you go out, make sure you have a good spare.

Keeping tires on a trailer that long is just plain dangerous. Granted, keeping the trailer stored inside and avoiding UV exposure can extend tire life, but it is much safer to change tires much sooner than that. I keep our trailer stored inside, but I wouldn't think of keeping one set of tires on it for for close to 15 years.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
We bought an used 1998 Terry trailer in 2008. It had the original tires, previous owner keep the trailer inside shop for storage, under car port during the season. We had to replace the rubber valve stems due to leaking, but the tires lasted until 2013. I'm not saying all tires will last that long, but they can. Check the pressure each time before you go out, make sure you have a good spare.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
The OEM load range D Goodyear marathons lasted 3 years before my first blowout. Not bad actually, the trailer has done 2 return trips to california (6000 miles) plus 3 return trips to |Mexico (15,000 miles). Much of that over Topes & rough roads. 3 of them are still intact, but I am replacing all 4 with load range E's. I have room to go to 16 inch, but one advantage of staying with 15 is that a blowout is unlilly to do damage to the trailer body. The key to tires lasting is stay at 60 MPH or under.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
The Duro's were a great tire for me. I had 4 years and 9000 miles on them. They held air unbelievably well. I switched them out because of age and mostly because of an upcoming 7500 mile trip. Gave me a chance to go to a higher load range as well.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Clockman
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
I would spend my money on a TPMS instead. I too have over 20,000 miles on my trailer and am on my 2nd set of ST tires both made in China. The OEM tires were Duro 2100 radials and the second set I put on are Hercules Power STR. 6 years, 34 states and no blowouts.

Ibrjet, How did you like your Duro's?? I had some on a heavy Utility trailer some years back and they were the best Trailer Tires I ever had, Very nice Profile, and deep black color to them, never had a problem with them.. What was your experience?

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fnp5150 wrote:

First Relax. There is absolutely NO REASON to replace those tires. There is NO evidence or logical reason to do so.

Don't be led astray by those that have axes to grind on a particular brand on this forum or those that spend money needlessly out of fear of a blowout that in all likelihood will never happen.

Consider this: (and I have written this several times in these discussions) I am hauling a trailer with 11 year old Goodyear Marathons on it that were there when I bought the trailer. I have pulled that trailer more than 12 thousand miles in the past 12 months INCLUDING a 3 month long trip through the Baja and I am now on my way to Alaska. These tires are doing just fine.

Keep an eye on your tires, keep them inflated at the MAX cold inflation pressure and the chances of a blowout or tire problem are so small as to be insignificant on a statistical basis.

Much of what you read on this topic on this forum is alarmist, not based on fact, filled with prejudice for or against one brand or another and filled with fear and anxiety.

Leave it all behind...save yourself some money and go out and have a good time.

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious:

Did you cover your tires while in storage or long term staying at a park?
Did you keep the air pressure at max?

I bought my first TT in 2012 and replaced the tires without question, the date codes were 2008 and being a second owner I did not know how well they were maintained, but they did look okay.

I am going 5 years and doing a complete replacement. You seem to get good service out of them.

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
I just put 4 new ones on my Puma yesterday. The ones on it were made about 2008, had a little wear. I got radials and got them balanced...can't wait to see how it tows. I never tow above 65....
Mark

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
I would doubt that Jayco or anyone else would honor the 2nd year warranty if YOU listened to your neighbor.
Therefore you have to wait one more year if that matters to you.

I would also second this. If the trailer still has a warranty, don't change the tires. I have had 2 blowouts that took out panels on my trailer - both covered by Jayco because my trailer is under warranty. If you change them and anything happens, it will be on you from that point on. I would at least wait until the warranty is done. My warranty expires tomorrow and my trailer is in the shop getting the second panel replaced as I write this. I will be getting new tires (Maxxis) the day I get it back - because it will be on me from that point.
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before rushing out and spending a bunch of $$ based on a neighbor's opinion, you need to know that ST trailer tires are a different animal compared to passenger car tires and need to be treated differently. Many blowouts are simply due to improper care and attention and not brand or country of origin. When you read about blowouts, you will never know the history of the tires and how they were treated. Under-inflation and over-loading ST tires are major causes of failures, followed by excessive speeding over 65 mph. All 3 of these cause internal overheating of the tire's structure and irreversible damage that can't be seen by visual inspection.

1. Weigh the TT, total and side-side, and compare that to the load capacity rating on the tire. You want at least a 10 percent load capacity reserve and 20 percent or more is better. Trailers can sometimes weigh more on one side.
2. Do not exceed 65 mph (most ST tires are rated 65 max.).
3. Use the correct psi (cold) and check regularly. Checking psi is a good idea before heading off on each leg of a road trip.
4. Stay off road shoulders at all times to avoid picking up something that can puncture a tire.
5. If parked in any one location for a longer period of time, tire covers can help to reduce tire damage.
6. Use a TPMS. Won't warn you of an impending catastrophic failure, but can tell you if the psi is heading downhill and give you a warning something isn't right.

If you have 14" or 15" load range "C" tires at present, they will probably have a good load capacity reserve. If you believe that the tires were not treated appropriately, then I would consider replacement. Otherwise, keep the tires. According to this post on the Jayco forum, Jayco does cover blowouts under warranty. Jayco tire warranty. If that's the case, why not keep the tires at least until the 2 year Jayco warranty ends.

There is a ton of excellent info. on this RV tire blog by a retired tire engineer: RVtiresafety.com

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced my trailer tires with Maxxis tires prior to a six week trip last summer. The tires that came with the trailer were doing fine, but I made the change for my own piece of mind. I've had Maxxis tires before and never had a problem.

Since then, I've added a TPMS and I constantly monitor tire pressure when traveling.

But, if you monitor air pressure and don't overload your trailer, the original tires may serve you well. It really boils down to what works for you.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
But there is a hell of a lot of difference in what you are pulling, and what the OP is pulling.

If I were pulling what you are pulling, I'd like to have XPS ribs also.

But the OP is pulling roughly what I'm pulling, a 4950 GVWR TT. The ST tires I have, ST205/75R Maxxis, provide me with about a 25% margin of error. I feel I'm good as long as I don't run them under inflated, or sustained speeds at over 65 mph.

The OP shouldn't need E rated tires for his trailer.

heartlandlover wrote:
ST Tires might get you 20 to 30,000 miles but thats not enough for me. I've been RVing for over 30 years and I would run nothing less than Michelin XPS RIB tires on my 41 foot 5ver. I have almost 60,000 miles on them and still have probably another 20,000 or so left on the tread. The good thing about these tires are they are re-groovable which means at least another 10,000 miles. They are 14 ply sidewall and made from the same rubber compound as over the road commercial truck tires. They are not cheap but after buying 3 sets of ST tires which might get you this kind of mileage combined you actually come out cheaper buying the Michelin tires. Thats just my opinion but if your gonna invest in a nice RV then don't go cheap on the tires that you depend on to get you where your going.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch