cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using truck camper when not attached to truck

jwal12291
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a 1985 sun lite truck camper. I want to be able to take it out of my truck when i get to where I am going and use it when its out of the truck.This particular camper only has three jacks two on one side in the corners and 1 on the other side dead in the middle. I more asking if anyone has any ideas on what i could build or do to set it down on that would make it sturdy enough to stay in.
16 REPLIES 16

Rickj91
Explorer
Explorer
With my Wolf Creek and the Fox Landing, I lower the camper till the bottom step of the Fox Landing is an inch off the ground. It is just supported by the jacks and have not had any issues with it. Works good for us.
2005 Chev 2500HD D/A,EC,SB,32 in. Hitch Ex. 2013 Wolf Creek 850 SB, 2007 Mirage 6X12 Cargo Trlr

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
F350/RR wrote:
We camp in our Northern Lite while it is off the truck. I lower it and level with a minimum of 1 inch of leg showing at whichever leg sits on the highest ground.
No X’s or axle stands with beams and tanks at whatever they were when we arrived.

When I have the camper off the truck and use it, I do the same. I lower it as far down as possible without the dump valve extension hitting the ground. Very stable and easier to get into and out of... I actually dismount the Glo-Steps and set them aside.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
TxTiger wrote:
Don’t manufacturers have to engineer/design a truck camper for use off the truck? From what I’ve read not all TC’s are designed for this type of use without complete floor support, like in the bed of a truck.

What I was under the impression it was as well. I know some builders say you can, some say you cannot. I think it has to do with how the base floor is built. My last Lance, I could and my new Palomino I can as well.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
F350/RR wrote:
I lower it and level with a minimum of 1 inch of leg showing at whichever leg sits on the highest ground.

Wow, that’s low! Not saying it’s wrong, just amazed.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

F350_RR
Explorer
Explorer
We camp in our Northern Lite while it is off the truck. I lower it and level with a minimum of 1 inch of leg showing at whichever leg sits on the highest ground.
No X’s or axle stands with beams and tanks at whatever they were when we arrived.
Doug

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
3/4" plywood "X-stands." Just take a 4x8 sheet of plywood, cut into four 24"x48" pieces. Cut half-slots in them so they fit together to form an X. Stores flat under the camper, takes up no space traveling. The boards and jacks described above need storage space.

I'll keep my 2x6's and screw jacks, the X-stands will work, but don't allow any adjustment for ground that isn't level.
The x stands support the floor , the 2x6' s support the edge so it depends on what the camper needs . Both will steady the camper .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
TxTiger wrote:
Don’t manufacturers have to engineer/design a truck camper for use off the truck? From what I’ve read not all TC’s are designed for this type of use without complete floor support, like in the bed of a truck.

I don't think that they "have to" design it for off truck. I made a support pan/floor that's mounted to the underside of mine to be able to use it off truck. I called S&S and they said because of its age it wasn't designed to be used off truck and with a tank full of water it may tear the bottom off the unit when removing it from the truck.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Not the OPs. It has 3 jacks and it’s old.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TxTiger
Explorer
Explorer
2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
2013 Northstar TC800

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
3/4" plywood "X-stands." Just take a 4x8 sheet of plywood, cut into four 24"x48" pieces. Cut half-slots in them so they fit together to form an X. Stores flat under the camper, takes up no space traveling. The boards and jacks described above need storage space.

I'll keep my 2x6's and screw jacks, the X-stands will work, but don't allow any adjustment for ground that isn't level.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
You may also have a look at the truck camper university sticky thread at the top of this section.

This, for example: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25917893.cfm
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I do this......

It doesn't move, 2x6 and aluminum screw jacks.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And carry with you?
2 sheets of plywood. 1 ripped in half and notched to make a 2’ tall X frame and another sheet to put on top of the X.

That will hold the weight (on hard ground and fairly flat/level) as long as your jacks can provide the stability.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold