cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Voltage in Travel Trailer

augustpilot
Explorer
Explorer
When I am plugged into 30 amp , the meter inside coach shows 120 volts. When furnace runs meter drops to approx 117 volts. Wife. Carries a hotpot to boil water. Turning on the pot when furnace running. Drops voltage to 112 volts. Is this normal with 30 amp service? Thank you.
2017 Rockwood 2906WS Ultra Light
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7. 4x4
Firestone Air Lift 1000, Equalizer Hitch
15 REPLIES 15

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
Don't fix something that is not broke. Your numbers, while certainly not ideal, are perfectly normal and safe for many campgrounds.

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
To find out where the problem is check the voltage at the pedestal under those varying loads. Most likely the drop is coming from that long run of wire to the main panel of the park that is undersized, and the voltage at the pedestal will be lower under load. Nothing you can do about that. If the voltage is stable at the pedestal then start to check your trailer and it's connection to the pedestal as that sounds like too much drop for the trailer itself.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
120V to 117V because a 12V DC furnace is running.............:H

Seems obvious to me - if the OP's battery isn't fully charged the converter, rather than idling in float mode will be in charge mode, creating it's own voltage drop on the incoming 120 vac source. Regardless, this is all speculation anyway as the OP hasn't provided sufficient detail indicating total load on the system, length of cable run, cable gauge, etc, so this is all a rather pointless discussion, not unlike saying "My truck is broken, what's wrong with it?" Good grief, who knows?!! :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of campgrounds are wired with wire that is inadequately sized. Voltage drop is normal with the amount being determined by the size of the feeder wires. Usually your TT cord is of the proper size. However, as others have said, poor/dirty plugs or receptacles can exacerbate the problem.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
120V to 117V because a 12V DC furnace is running.............:H

I would be checking terminals/lugs for tightness on MAIN AC panel and on CONVERTER battery cable connections.

I would be checking converter DC Voltage output and battery state of charge.

DC Furnace draws 8A 12V DC........ 0.8A 120V
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know about your numbers, but voltage drop is perfectly normal with increasing loads.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Some drop is normal. You can tighten lugs on both leads in the panel, especially the neutrals. Check that leads on the plug are clean. A quick, ocassional wipe with a fine sandpaper works wonders.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Voltage drop may be normal. Whenever you have any concerns, check your cable connections for heating. If you have the twist-lock connection on the side of the trailer, heating there could lead to a disaster. My trailer had all loose wires in that connection. Whenever I plug in, I connect and disconnect at least three times, before turning on the breaker, to wipe the contacts.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one of these RV PLUG-IN AC VOLTMETERS that I can glance at and it tells me where the SAFE ZONE is when using the campground pedestal setup... The 120V LEVEL starting down at most campgrounds when more and more folks start showing up and plugging in...

If the 120VAC is on the bottom of the SAFE ZONE scale i will not use it for high wattage items...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
scrubjaysnest wrote:
This isn't likely to be normal.

Of course voltage drop is "normal" and the degree to which an unloaded nominal voltage source of 120 vac will drop once a load is placed on the circuit will vary depending on a number of a factors which include total load, cable length, cable gauge, and therefore cable resistance. One can easily estimate just what the voltage drop will be by plugging a series of numbers into a Voltage Drop Calculator. Trailers designed for 30 amp main service are wired with 10 gauge cable ... this screenshot illustrates voltage drop for a 30 amp load over 25' of 10 gauge main service cable so one could even extrapolate from this just what the drop would be for other values without even using the calculator. For example, if the load was just 15 amps over the same length of 10 gauge cable the voltage drop would also be half - i.e. 0.75 volts instead of 1.50 volts.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
Voltage will often sag depending upon the load put on it, in both AC and DC circuits. Voltage sags both because power is being drained from the source and there is resistance to current flow within the power lines to the load.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I seems excessive to me. I would start checking the tightness of the wires in the breaker box. Then I would measure the voltage at the source power post, drop at he shore power end and etc.

You are looking for where the voltage drops when under load.

For example, if you have a long shore power cord that can do it, if so nothing is wrong, you just need a bigger gauge cord.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
That is perfectly normal. As you draw additional current from the source, you increase the voltage drop in the feeder wires thus less at the outlets.

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
Mine varies between 110 to 124 volts depending on load. I think that is normal.