cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Waiting for spring

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
After experiencing 1 degree weather in middle Tennessee I am looking forward to our first camping reservation this spring. Seeing the rig sitting by the house makes me think it's calling out, let's go get warm further south. Funny how the mind works in the winter. Anyone else having these thoughts?
32 REPLIES 32

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
I have made reservations for every month (sometimes two times) for this year starting in May and ending in September. April we will fly somewhere.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's interesting is how many of us ascribe human qualities to our RVs. I don't feel the same way about my other possessions (and not my stick house, either), but the trailer is definitely a part of the family. Strange, isn't it?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

DanJoan
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Recently my wife forwarded this pic to me, sent to her by a friend who understands our winter doldrums. Kinda says it all.

That about sums it up...
2017 Cherokee Limited (Patriot Edition)
2015 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition

Moved up from 2004 Antiqua 195ck

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
I here ya, poor camper was out in sub zero wind chills this weekend in Alden,NY. Got the new TV a GMC 2500 to pull her around. Should make for a much more comfortable ride this year. Getting together with fellow camping friends soon to plan our schedule. Will venture further this year due to better TV.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I often go out to the shed where my camper over winters and spend a night in her to keep her from getting to lonely. But, this year has been so cold I can't even keep it warm in there while it is setting inside a shed.

I do need to get her into my brothers heated shop to warm up and do some work to her.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Recently my wife forwarded this pic to me, sent to her by a friend who understands our winter doldrums. Kinda says it all.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
My TV is also looking forward to camping season ๐Ÿ˜‰

Click For Full-Size Image.

Already booked first two trips!
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Tennessee... you aren't that far from warm temps, why don't you camp through the winter? I drive 900 miles to get to Florida every winter for 2 weeks. You can make it to Atlanta in 4 hours...

Shoot, looking at average temps in your area, you can probably camp year round at home. Average high of 50, average low of 33 in January, starts warming up in February... why aren't you camping RIGHT NOW? ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

These temps do not apply where we live. Some of the lower elevations are milder in the winter but not on the Cumberland mountains. We are somewhat warmer than years past but anymore we have experienced colder temperatures, some nights have been in the -0 area. Can't go south either due to critter obligations, would be nice though.

RwaSmith
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
My poor camper goes through "travel withdraw" every year in central Indiana. The poor thing just sits there, shivering and shaking in the wind in a deep depression. When temps get to about 10 degrees (F) we finally move inside the house, as it just cost too much to heat to enjoy sleeping in there at night. Well, when temps dropped again this year, the poor thing started crying, all alone, and dejected. This was Dec 13 this year:

So, we had to help the poor thing out and did our annual migration South! We stayed at Lake Greenwood State Park in South Carolina for the week between Christmas and New Year. I've never see my camper so happy:

But then, we had to return to Indiana, and the last few days we got snow again and, like you, the temps dropped to -1 (last night), and been single digits (less than 5) pretty much all this week. Burr!

My baby is sitting out there screaming again! Hurry up! Come-on March! I know we're heading to Andrew Jackson State Park in South Carolina the week of March 10! Only a short while to go!

Yea, my baby crys loud when it has to just sit!

I am in Indiana as well Dutchman. My Vibe is not to happy at the moment. I keep looking out and thinking come on April!!!
2016 Forrest River Vibe 308BHS
2010 Chevy Suburban 2500

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Terrible weather here in Oregon - a couple inches of snow on Saturday followed by an ice storm today. I look outside at my poor RV with icicles dripping off every edge and can't imagine the next time I'll get her out of the driveway.

When I was younger I didn't understand the whole concept of being a snowbird.... I think I'm starting to get it ๐Ÿ™‚

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The only relief I get is from making reservations for the upcoming season.
We have every trip through Labor day planned now!

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oops, double post. Fast fingers slow mind. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I would not give up the four seasons, it is nice to spend a few days in warmer temperatures.

Last year we went out to Phoenix for a muzzleloading rifle shoot. This year we are spending the first three weeks of January in Florida.

We dry camp till we get south far enough to add water.

When we get back to Indiana, we will re-winterize and head for the State Park to do some dry camping and snowshoeing.

We have spent some nice nights in Georgia which is not all that much of a trip from TN.

It is in the 50s in FL today which is fine but in two day it will be back to the 70s which is even better.

Try a mid-winter weekend a bit farther south. If you do not like it you can always wait for spring.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My poor camper goes through "travel withdraw" every year in central Indiana. The poor thing just sits there, shivering and shaking in the wind in a deep depression. When temps get to about 10 degrees (F) we finally move inside the house, as it just cost too much to heat to enjoy sleeping in there at night. Well, when temps dropped again this year, the poor thing started crying, all alone, and dejected. This was Dec 13 this year:

So, we had to help the poor thing out and did our annual migration South! We stayed at Lake Greenwood State Park in South Carolina for the week between Christmas and New Year. I've never see my camper so happy:

But then, we had to return to Indiana, and the last few days we got snow again and, like you, the temps dropped to -1 (last night), and been single digits (less than 5) pretty much all this week. Burr!

My baby is sitting out there screaming again! Hurry up! Come-on March! I know we're heading to Andrew Jackson State Park in South Carolina the week of March 10! Only a short while to go!

Yea, my baby crys loud when it has to just sit!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I start looking forward to spring around the middle of September. ๐Ÿ˜ž