cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart Toilet Chemical vs. RV Dealer Toilet Chemical

jeeptp75
Explorer
Explorer
We have only had our new camper for 3 months and have used it only on 4 different occasions. We are getting a very strong sewage smell from the bathroom. I am using the same toilet chemical purchased from Walmart that I have used for the past 10 years in my old camper. My camper dealer is telling me its the chemical, not something wrong with the camper. They are saying that the chemical they sell works much better. Of course its much more expensive. Im not denying that a more expensive chemical may work a little better but my question is why did this old chemical work so well for 10 years in our old camper and now seems to not work in our new camper.

Tim
2012 Ford F-150 V8 5.0
2014 Cougar X-Lite 28RBS
28 REPLIES 28

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the chemicals and the vent cap gimmicks. The plumbing system is sealed from odors other than the vent on the roof. The only time you should get any smell from the tank is for the brief few seconds it is open and being flushed. If you get odors any other time the system is defective.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
There is no need to use chemicals Walmart or otherwise. There should be no odor inside if everything is working properly. My bet is that something didn't get installed right when it was built. Also I have seen where instead of installing a vent through the roof they put in a short section of pipe with a check valve that is suppose to allow air in but not out. Those are not something I would want as I have seen more than one malfunction.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a problem with smells and decided to go with the cyclone type vent cap. When I removed the old vent cap I found the vent pipe did not exit the roof but was venting into the space between the inside ceiling and the outside roof. Extended the pipe and installed the new vent. No more smell and we use no chemicals.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

liveneasy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a full-timer and haven't used any chemicals in the toilet in 8 years now. If your getting odor from the toilet it's a venting/seal problem as others have pointed out... simple as that. Correct the problem or continue using chemicals and then live with the chemical smell.

Ceiling vents, fans and A/C units can/will pull the smell from your black tank via the toilet if the seals are bad. Also make sure water stays in all your sink/shower traps, verify that all vacuum breakers are installed and operating properly to insure the smell isn't coming from your grey tank.

My MH came with a washing machine option and the drain pipe wasn't capped...
Greg
'96 Holiday Rambler Endeavor DP/'03 4wd tracker
Datastorm F1/D2/7000/on SatMx5
See where I am today

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Way too many people use just water and have no problems with smell. Others, myself included, just use a little laundry soap and water softener, again with no smell issues. I'm betting on venting issue or you have a trap that's dry in one of the sinks and it's actually gray water tank smell (Bathroom Sink, Shower or Kitchen Sink). Lots of people have this issue when they don't use their showers and use the campground facilities.

Try to see if it is an all the time thing or only when the tank is half full or more or nearly completely full. Narrowing down when you start to notice the smell will help in figuring out if it is a tank vent issue mentioned above.

I will bet that if your using the walmart treatment and you switch to their more expensive treatment, it's not going to solve the issue.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I'd call BS on their statement about difference in strength of toilet chemical. You could always test their theory by either buying their chemical and trying it or doubling (or tripling) the WalMart chemical and seeing if it helps.

I've used Thedford chemical, bought at WalMart, for years without any problems.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Check your venting system. Then consider trying The Geo Method.

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Those after-market vent caps work great.

As a seasoned camper, you should already know about things like the water seal in the toilet, and making sure that there is water in the sink trap (if it ties into the Black tank).
I wonder if there isn't a problem with the seal under the toilet? Which might be taken care of, if you used one of those vent caps that actually PULLS the fumes out.

Chemicals are chemicals....I doubt that there is any real difference between the Walmart and other brands. At least not enough to cause these issues. After all, if it was that bad for everyone, who'd buy them?

Good luck:)
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ๐Ÿ™‚
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.๐Ÿ˜ž
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

1711tab
Explorer
Explorer
jeeptp75 wrote:

Has anyone used any of those after market vent caps to assist in venting? Do you really see a difference with those? I alway felt that if properly installed the stock caps would work fine.

Thanks again!

Yes I have installed (very easy) the Camco 40595 RV Cyclone Sewer Plumbing Vent...

It works...

Tim

jeeptp75
Explorer
Explorer
We are not on a seasonal site. We keep the valves closed until we leave or if at a site with sewage we keep it closed until we need to dump.

I was suspecting a vent issue as well expecially since this is a brand new camper and there could always be a small issue if something moved or campe loose like a few of you have suggested.

The camper was at the dealer this past week for a weather stripping issue around a window. They said they drained and cleaned the black tank and have no odor. I am going to bring it back home and use it again and see if the issue comes up again. If it does I will be sure to question venting.

Has anyone used any of those after market vent caps to assist in venting? Do you really see a difference with those? I alway felt that if properly installed the stock caps would work fine.

Thanks again!
2012 Ford F-150 V8 5.0
2014 Cougar X-Lite 28RBS

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
There are a couple possibilities other than the brand chemical used. Since you noticed it quite soon after moving to new trailer they are suspect.

Are you camped on a seasonal site with either of the dump-valves left open? A big no-no since it allows fumes to get into RV.

The other case might be that the holding-tank vent which is supposed to stay in the upper part of holding tank may have slipped farther down in the tank into the liquid. Vapor in air, inside tank, can not be drawn outside.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds more like a venting problem to me. These systems rely on rooftop vents to vent those tanks. They could be partially blocked or the pipe running from the roof to the tank could be inserted to deep in the tank which when the liquid level reaches the bottom of the vent pipe will force all the gasses produced to push back inside when the toilet is flushed. Is the smell a constant one or happens after some use?
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
How much water do you use. When I flush I use lots of water and I never have any odor. Also, I do not use any chemical additives. Lots of water is the secret. I would check under the bath room sink. Se if there is a vacuum break there. If so it may be stuck open. They are easy to replace, just unscrew and screw on a new one. There is nothing wrong with Wal Mart chemicals, many are the same as your RV dealer sells.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I think the RV dealer just wants to sell you something. I have been using the Thetford products, either in liquid or in pod form, since I got my rig and it seems to work well. You can get it online at a good price.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A