Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater only luke warm

mooksterl
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I have done some online searching and was wondering for some advice.
We have a 2010 Jayco 26BH. Runs great with no problems. It was the elec/gas water heater.
We were out this weekend and I started with the electric for the hot water. The next morning I realized it only got luke warm. I then tried the propane and it fired up but did not seem to stay on long. Again, luke warm. It would fire up occasionally throughout the weekend but same results.
To me, a newbie, it appears to be some thermostat issue....or something glaringly obvious I have missed. Any ideas would be helpful. I searched online but seemed to find more posts regarding not lighting.Thanks
28 REPLIES 28

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
AirForceAngler wrote:
Could it also be that the water heater tank was not completely filled? I always make sure to hold the pressure control valve open until I get a good stream of water out of it.

Works but unnecessary.........just open faucet hot side to bleed air out as tank fills. Less messy/wet
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Could it also be that the water heater tank was not completely filled? I always make sure to hold the pressure control valve open until I get a good stream of water out of it.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Luke warm water

1) Bypass still open
2) Shower hot/cold knobs still open (shower shut off on handle)
3) T-stat not tight against tank wall, loose connection on t-stat terminals, bad t-stat

Note: Items 1 & 2......IF water in WH tank is HOT
Item 3 if water in tank is NOT hot
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
The other gentleman was receding to your outside wAter heater taps. If they are on but the shower head is off there will be no water running but the warm and hot will mix in the taps. Common problem this time of year.

Good luck. Get back to us what it was.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

bama2
Explorer II
Explorer II
our hot water did the same thing our first time out, sure enough bypass valve was letting cold in with the hot. changed setting and great hot water.

mooksterl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks. Makes sense for sure about the bypass. As for the outside shower, I don't see any valves for it. I've never done anything with that before and it seems ok. Look at me...always thinking the worst. That is why I love this site. Thank you and I'll let you know how I make out.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Also make sure your outside shower valves are both "off." If they're open it'll mix hot and cold water together.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

pf32450
Explorer
Explorer
Check the same as greende stated had a friend have the same issue and found he had bypass setting wrong. Hope this is the answer for you.
2014 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 8321KBS
2010 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 6.4L Diesel

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Check your bypass valve. If in the wrong position, the cold & hot can mix to make lukewarm. A test would be to open the Pressure relief valve momentarily and see if the water is hotter coming out of it than what you get out of the tap. Careful you don't get burned.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

mooksterl
Explorer
Explorer
....but, that does make sense. It was the maiden voyage this year. Maybe it isn't fully opened or something. Thanks. Does it sound like a thermostat thing is possible? Is it common to have to replace them?

mooksterl
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah it seems to be. If it was not, it would stay cold I'm guessing. It get a bit warmer but not great. Its almost as if, when you turn turn the tap on, there is an initial rush of decent hot water and then it is luke warm to cool.

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
Is you bypass valve in the correct position?

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

mooksterl
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Seahunter. I was hooked up to the post at the site if that matters.

seahunter_1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem on my 2004 fifth wheel and found my house batteries were dead . Might check your batteries .

Seahunter 1