cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water/snow weight concerns

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it is an issue, but wanted to check.

I have a tarp over the camper just to help with the weather. We have a first winter storm and we are expecting 3-5" of snow. The camper has the roof rack railing along the back side for whatever you put up there.

Do I need to be concerned about water weight due to water accumulating there?

The camper is not on the jacks so I am purely asking about the weight on the roof itself. I doubt it would be an issue, but like to check.

Thanks
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"
14 REPLIES 14

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember we are talking about a 25 year old camper. Iโ€™d treat it more delicately the older it gets.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Bedlam
In areas where you get rain and snow combining is where you hear about roof failures due to weight. You will hear much more about leaks when the snow is thawing because water can pool in places with nowhere to go.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I would worry more about the tarp/rack making a pond. Water pushing on a dam is the reason so much work is put into the base of the dam. Will the base of the rack hold that force? Might want to put something (Basket Ball?) under the tarp to force most of the water to run off.
Another thought; I know many around here think most science doesn't matter, so this can't effect them. But we are told that water can get in cracks in rock, freeze, and the expansion break off large slabs.
And most tarps, out in weather for couple of months will seep if water sets on top of them. That water, now in the shade under tarp, is likely to freeze. Can you be sure it will not get in any crevice, seam, or other place where that expansion can do damage?

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was born in Boise Idaho and can't remember a time the snow got deep enough to have to shovel the roof..There were a few years we got some snow deep enough to hooky bob to the bus stop,but not many..A week later it was all gone..Boise is actually in the banana belt of idaho getting less snow than the other areas north of it..I certainly wouldn't worry about snow load on your camper in boise...

Enjoy Bogus..I can remember there first night of night skiing...Had lots of fun on that hill..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where I live we often get freezing rain in the Winter. If the snow accumulates a foot or so and then it rains and freezes, we can end up with a foot of frozen ice and slush that will weigh more than several feet of snow.

Even so the camper should easily handle that weight. I certainly would not be concerned about a few inches of just snow.

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I was mostly worried about the load that could form from melting snow and the water pooling into the remaining snow. We didn't get much and we don't normally get much at a time.

The camper isn't on it's jacks so the only concern would be the weight on the structure of the camper and it sounds like that is not a concern.

Thanks again. Now if I can knock out a few chores and the oldest kid can get caught up in school, we can use it at the local ski hill and stay the night.
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
towpro wrote:
I hated having roof rack on my truck campers. total useless thing, that only helped to crate a pool with cover on and more screw holes to leak.

I tried several 3/4" pvc conduit as bows, pieces of wood, etc, but nothing stopped the pool.

but than the pool never created any problems wither.

for winter storage I used to use the 4 jack legs, plus a 4x4 under the front with all thread adjustable jack stands under the 4x4 to take some of the load off the front jacks.

I had the same thing with the cover on so I took off the front cross bar...Problem solved..As to snow load,it depends on the snow type,wet and heavy I'm out there shoveling before it freezes,light and fluffy,3ft doesn't bother me much but I shovel anyway at around 1ft..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I hated having roof rack on my truck campers. total useless thing, that only helped to crate a pool with cover on and more screw holes to leak.

I tried several 3/4" pvc conduit as bows, pieces of wood, etc, but nothing stopped the pool.

but than the pool never created any problems wither.

for winter storage I used to use the 4 jack legs, plus a 4x4 under the front with all thread adjustable jack stands under the 4x4 to take some of the load off the front jacks.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
I have yet to see an RV dealer shovel snow off or roofs of stocked units. Out in Indiana I highly doubt the manufacturers are clearing off the thousands of units they have sitting in fields.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
jdc1 wrote:
64 pounds per cubic foot.........hell, I can stand in one place on the roof and it would be 220 pounds per cubic foot. Snow only weights about 20 pounds per cubic foot.

While some are confusing unit weights, what youโ€™re saying is not applicable because the snow load is everywhere not just one spot so the total load could be much more.

OP, you donโ€™t need to worry about it unless there is a lot of snow. How much is a lot?
None of us know that, so if youโ€™re concerned, just remove the snow occasionally
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
64 pounds per cubic foot.........hell, I can stand in one place on the roof and it would be 220 pounds per cubic foot. Snow only weights about 20 pounds per cubic foot.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have no idea about yours. Mine has had almost 3 ft of snow on it. If you are worried about it, why not just get a ladder and take some snow off?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had the tarp slip off the frame and lay flat on the roof, collecting snow. Nothing noticeable happened. I have a 4" PVC pipe frame running the length of the roof to give a good peak to drape the tarp over. About 3' high. Snow mostly slides off if the ropes are tensioned enough.

One thing I would caution is the tarp rubbing the paint off the corner trim. Like where the roof meets the walls, etc. Even with the tarp snug, the tarp burnished the paint off.

I won't do tarps on the new camper. Building a barn,
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
It might be a problem depending how much water is accumulated up there. Water weighs approximately 8 pounds per gallon or 64 pounds per cubic foot. You might want to consider putting a hole in the tarp so the water can drain out rather than a tarp becoming a swimming pool.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer