cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution bar - using a pipe ... ?

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have lost the pipe to lift up the weight distribution bar ... what do you use ?
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)
107 REPLIES 107

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Gene&Ginny wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
... Also after latching the trailer onto the ball try using the tongue jack to lift both the tongue and the back of the trailer up really high. At that point you will possibly be able to just flip the levers over by hand and not need a pipe.
That works for me. :C .... but I still have the pipe "just in case" ...

I was shown how to use the pipe to raise mine. takes about 1 second. don't know why I would mess around with tongue jack,etc. I was warned to stand off to the side in case the pipe comes shooting out. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy
Get an electric jack. Much easier and safer.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck Norris uses his pinkie.
One beautiful wife -Trooper and Doc the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 Flatbed with 2013 Chalet TS116 http://www.brittanynews.us

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
RoadXYZ wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
You can probably get a piece of black gas pipe at the local home improvement store.

Also after latching the trailer onto the ball try using the tongue jack to lift both the tongue and the back of the trailer up really high. At that point you will possibly be able to just flip the levers over by hand and not need a pipe.

Maybe if one were 30 or 40 years old, but not these senior who into their 70s.

I am 75 years old and semi disabled (back). I regularly latch mine this way. The secret is lifting high enough with the jack. Same when unhitching.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
In any event that was either an Aussie or British viewpoint

Australia, the English do not have WDH's on their Caravans

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:

I was shown how to use the pipe to raise mine. takes about 1 second. don't know why I would mess around with tongue jack,etc. I was warned to stand off to the side in case the pipe comes shooting out. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

Some get it and some don't :h Funny........
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:

No we're talking about using the tongue jack to release enough tension where the chains/whatever

Larry

I didn't know that we were discussing the "whatever". AFAIK the OP was referring to hooking up the chains using the weight distribution bar/pipe.
bumpy

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:
Larry,Really?

That video is for the Equal-i-zer Sway Control Trailer Hitch not the one we are talking about with the lift brackets for chain links.That is a completely different hitch!

yep, it sure doesn't look like my reese wdh that I thought we were talking about.
bumpy

No we're talking about using the tongue jack to release enough tension where the chains/whatever can be engage w/o help. Thus the concept is the same for both that we are talking about

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
Get an Andersen WDH. No need for cheater bars. All the torque is applied AFTER the chains are attached. Easier for this old woman to do!
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab
2009 Keystone Hideout 19FLB
Andersen "No Sway" "No Bounce" WDH

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
Larry,Really?

That video is for the Equal-i-zer Sway Control Trailer Hitch not the one we are talking about with the lift brackets for chain links.That is a completely different hitch!

yep, it sure doesn't look like my reese wdh that I thought we were talking about.
bumpy

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Larry,Really?

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:
Well Larry, here's what I'll do.. I'll give you a video link on how to hook one up from Eaz Lift hitches the right way with a bar, you post a video from any reputable WD hitch company that shows hooking up without the bar, with hands only!

Eaz Lift WD hitch setup

Your turn.

6 minutes and 40 seconds into the video from the Equal-i-zer manufacturer, Progress MFG.
Link

Thanks for taking the time to find that and I like many others already knew this and I didn't see a need to dig around and post something that we all (or everyone but jaycocreek it seems) knew already ... and that sort of nails the no bar needed argument. Even that EAZ lift video Jaycocreek posted clearly shows that there was zero tension on the bars when the chains were hooked up and the bar was simply used as an extension of that "stub" and that obviously the jack had been used to relieve all the tension on the spring bars. In any event that was either an Aussie or British viewpoint video and we all know they tend to do things a little differently that us YANKS.:W

It's funny to see some folks when they have been proven wrong to still keep "GRASPING AT STRAWS" in trying to support their dissproven argument.

Larry

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:
Well Larry, here's what I'll do.. I'll give you a video link on how to hook one up from Eaz Lift hitches the right way with a bar, you post a video from any reputable WD hitch company that shows hooking up without the bar, with hands only!

Eaz Lift WD hitch setup

Your turn.

6 minutes and 40 seconds into the video from the Equal-i-zer manufacturer, Progress MFG.
Link

I

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
jaycocreek wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I can guarantee you that even with a 3 foot pipe I couldn`t get my latches up and over without raising the truck and trailer. My TW is 1200lbs! All I do is raise the truck and trailer and flip the latches by hand. very simple and I don`t run the risk of losing a foot!!!

Umm, how are you going to lose a foot?

That appears to be a little extreme!

Yes losing a foot might be extreme, but you could severely damage your foot and even spend a few days in the hospital because of it.

Personally I always use the electric jack to remove all the pressure off the hitch just like they mention in the above video. You guys can all do it your way and I'll do it my way. Below are a couple of links to posts here where someone got hurt, one even using the jack.

Fifth paragraph under the quoted material.

Couple of stories of letting the bar get away from them, one even with the jack.

Didn't relieve the tension on the hitch, spent days in the hospital.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
jaycocreek wrote:

Eaz Lift WD hitch setup

Your turn.

Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I don't think I have ever seen a nastier thread on any forum I read.