cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weird Sensation

johninedmonton
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, this is kinda weird. When pulling my 8k 37' TT, I'm not experiencing "truck suck". You know, when an 18wheeler passes you and sucks you into his airstream.

Nope, no truck suck. I'm steady and solid as though he and my trailer don't even exist. But instead, I'm experiencing "small car suck".

A 40,000 lb 18 wheeler won't affect me at all. But a Toyota Prius will make my trailer dance like a tomatoe on a hot frying pan.

Has anyone ever experienced the same? Any thoughts?!?!?
John From Alberta, Canada

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0L Diesel
Andersen WD Hitch
2013 Sport Trek 320VIK

Life is a story. I plan to make mine worth telling.
32 REPLIES 32

johninedmonton
Explorer
Explorer
That totally makes sense. Thanks guys.

Andersen WD Hitch
2013 Sport Trek 320VIK

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Just kidding, of course. I really do know what a wake it.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Wake: Those waves that come out from behind boats. (Water and air are both fluids, and behave similarly - air is just a lot less dense.)

It really is the same as boats on water - a large slow moving boat leaves a very small wake. A small fast moving boat (like a jet ski) can make a decent wake despite being small. It's the same with cars. A semi passing slowly won't suck/push nearly as much as a Prius passing at high speed.

The large rental box trucks seem to have the worst wake - probably from those large cab-overs, and the people driving them tend to go fast.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

facory
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
I call it the "suck 'n push", because that's what happens. Think about the physics involved.

When a vehicle makes a wake through the air (yes it's air, but shooters know it's just really thin water) it first contacts the section of trailer behind the axles which pushes away and levers the front toward the passing truck, which has the effect of pushing the tow vehicle over to the center line as well.

As the bow wake nears the trailer axles, it evens out because the force is at the fulcrum (pivot point). Then, as the wake impacts the front of the trailer ahead of the axles, (which is usually a larger surface area) it pushes the front of the trailer away from the passing truck, taking the tow vehicle with it towards the berm. First it sucks, then it pushes.

It doesn't concern me much anymore. I have to only correct the wheel about 1/2" to compensate. Just that the wake is much stronger and sharper with small box trucks and the like.

HUH? You lost me at wake. Too techy for me. There is a lot going on though. :S
Schwinn Mountain Bike

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Even stranger is a truck coming from the opposite direction on a two lane road as almost no such effect at allโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
I call it the "suck 'n push", because that's what happens. Think about the physics involved.

When a vehicle makes a wake through the air (yes it's air, but shooters know it's just really thin water) it first contacts the section of trailer behind the axles which pushes away and levers the front toward the passing truck, which has the effect of pushing the tow vehicle over to the center line as well.

As the bow wake nears the trailer axles, it evens out because the force is at the fulcrum (pivot point). Then, as the wake impacts the front of the trailer ahead of the axles, (which is usually a larger surface area) it pushes the front of the trailer away from the passing truck, taking the tow vehicle with it towards the berm. First it sucks, then it pushes.

It doesn't concern me much anymore. I have to only correct the wheel about 1/2" to compensate. Just that the wake is much stronger and sharper with small box trucks and the like.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Strange, but true. Some smaller vehicles affect a rig much more than a big tractor-trailer. Must be something to do with shape and speed.
Schwinn Mountain Bike

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
I've noticed the shape of certain vehicles rather than their size does effect me more. Not that any of them effects me much at all, but some of these newer trucks are very smoothe through the air and their size acts like a buffer when they pass.

I notice smaller, boxier trucks have a the worst overall effect. They push a big wake in front and their short overall length seems to bounce more air at my pivot point (hitch) as they pass.

2X, although I never heard it called truck suck, I completely agree shape not size is a major factor for some of the bow wave effect one vehicle has on anotherโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Explorer
Explorer
Tongue weight and truck sucking has surely got some attention. Please let me know how this works for you.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

johninedmonton
Explorer
Explorer
ah64id wrote:
How much tongue weight do you have?

I'm at about 900lbs. , +/- 50 lbs depending on how we are loaded (water, bikes, etc.). My WD hitch is rated at 1,400 lbs.

Andersen WD Hitch
2013 Sport Trek 320VIK

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I love the "truck suck" description. It's going in my vocab. I have two of the above sway bars, they are the only type I have ever used, and have only loosened them to prevent extra wear on the friction surfaces. I back up, go forward, uphill downhill and all around. Haven't had one break in the last 20 or so years.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
wmoses wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
You can back up with any hitch you choose. I don't know where that myth got started saying you have to remove things to back up.

Sure you can but it is not a myth when one has one of those anti-sway bars that you have to tighten to clamp the friction pads onto the slider bar - you know the type:

When backing and you turn too much the anti-sway bar can run out of travel and then you have problems.

Ran one of those for 9 years and never removed it backing up. YMMV.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
You can back up with any hitch you choose. I don't know where that myth got started saying you have to remove things to back up.

Sure you can but it is not a myth when one has one of those anti-sway bars that you have to tighten to clamp the friction pads onto the slider bar - you know the type:

When backing and you turn too much the anti-sway bar can run out of travel and then you have problems.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Question - do 18-wheelers get "truck suck" from other 18-wheelers? I've seen more than my share of 18-wheelers swerving on the highway, especially in higher winds.

I know cars can be more annoying than other trucks, because they tend to give you little respect on the highway, and will do anything not to be stuck behind you.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?