Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What can I safely pull?

bgitler
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I have been trolling towing capacity forums for several weeks because I decided to purchase a tt and need a vehicle to tow it. I have narrowed my vehicle search down to a 2004 Ford f150 Crew Cab 5.4 L V8 4x4 (Towing Capacity 7,700 lbs) and a 2004 Avalanche 5.4 L v8 4x4 (Towing Capacity 7,100 lbs). Most people list their vehicle and tt and ask if it is safe to pull. However, I'd like to hear from all of you how much weight would be safe for me to pull, and your opinion of these 2 vehicles.

Thank you in advance, the snow is melting and I'm getting itchy to go camping!

Ben
35 REPLIES 35

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
majorgator wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
Please post the payload capacity from the drivers door jamb sticker to get a definitive answer

Just a side note on this comment (and no offense implied), but I've owned 6 trucks (2 Ford, 3 GM, and 1 Dodge), 2 passenger cars, and 1 minivan, yet none of them ever had a sticker on the door jamb that gave any indication of payload capacity.

None taken but any vehicle without it is at least 12 years old and unless meticulously maintained is not a candidate for a TV anyway.

come on now. ๐Ÿ™‚ Mine is a 2004. Does not have it. Only a sticker with the GVWR, axle code, color code, and GAVWR. It is a great TV, and is not quite 12 years old. but is a GREAT TV.

I did say "unless meticulously maintained".
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
come on now. ๐Ÿ™‚ Mine is a 2004. Does not have it. Only a sticker with the GVWR, axle code, color code, and GAVWR. It is a great TV, and is not quite 12 years old. but is a GREAT TV.
I recall the effective date for the Tire Loading Information label was Sept 2005, but many 2005 model year vehicles had them as a "Pull Ahead" from the required date. My 2005, built in March 2005, has it.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I recommend the trailer GVWR should be within the tow rating.
You might go a little more but you are pushing the ratings if you do.

Age has nothing to do with it. Old trucks rule ๐Ÿ˜‰

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
fla-gypsy wrote:
majorgator wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
Please post the payload capacity from the drivers door jamb sticker to get a definitive answer

Just a side note on this comment (and no offense implied), but I've owned 6 trucks (2 Ford, 3 GM, and 1 Dodge), 2 passenger cars, and 1 minivan, yet none of them ever had a sticker on the door jamb that gave any indication of payload capacity.

None taken but any vehicle without it is at least 12 years old and unless meticulously maintained is not a candidate for a TV anyway.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

deleted
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

dballentine
Explorer
Explorer
bgitler wrote:
... Also, the guide breaks towing capacity into conventional towing and 5th wheel. Which is more accurate for me? because there is quite a big difference in towing capacity.

I'm not buying a 5th wheel but I assume the difference is because of wind resistance of a 5th wheel, and conventional could describe pulling a regular trailer with only gear.

Conventional towing means a ball hitch at the rear bumper. RVs which are towed this way are termed Travel Trailers (TT). I believe you're looking for a TT. TTs typically will have 10-15% of the total trailer weight on the tongue.

Fifth wheel (FW or 5er) attaches via a pin and round plate, located in the bed of the pickup, above the rear axle, essentially a smaller version of the hitch on a tractor trailer. FWs usually put 15-25% of the total trailer weight on the pin.

I believe the differences in TT vs FW tow ratings has more to do with the location of the hitch (bumper vs above the axle) than aerodynamics.
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ D/A CC LB SRW Z71
Amateur Radio KQ3T, licensed since 1965

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
I had an 06 F150 with the 5.4, 3.73 gears, 4x4, supercrew and towed a Wildwood 26' TT weighing right at 7000lbs. At the time we weighed it and I want to say it was 7,1xx loaded and hitch weight was 1230lbs because thats where the storage compartment was. We were right at the payload max, or depending on the trip a little over. It was relatively slow on hills and loud due to the rpms. My wife hated that but it did the job. Never felt out of control or scary in any way. I did eventually end up going to a 3/4 ton because I wanted to take along my 4 wheeler or a bed full of firewood that just wasnt possible with the half ton. If thats the truck you are set on I think it will work fine as long as you set some limitations.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
majorgator wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 4x4, 5.4, 3.73 axle, tow package and towed an 8400lb FW. It did very well but I never went into the mountains. If you don't have a tow package and 3.73 axle you'll be at about 6000lb max and will need a class IV Hitch receiver on the F150.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgitler wrote:
Thanks Larry that was very helpful. Here's what I'm thinking, please let me know if my math/logic is correct and reasonable:

Ford f 150 towing capacity- 7,700 lbs
Payload- 1,500 lbs
TT- Dry 4,500
TT Tongue Wt (13%)- 559 lbs
Family- 400 lbs (and growing)
Hitch- 100 lbs
Gear- 1,000 lbs

TOTAL TONGUE WT- 1059

So, my plan would be to not add anything to the vehicle (Larry, I hear what you're saying, however, purchasing a bigger vehicle isn't practical for my every day driving or wallet). Therefore, the 1,000 lbs of gear would go in the trailer bringing it to 5,500 pounds.

CORRECTION- If I add 1,000 lbs to the trailer my Tongue Weight will be 1,215 lbs

Does my math seem correct? It seems like this would work, but I would rather hear any concerns now, than find myself stuck on the side of the road in the mountains.

Thanks!

NO. You don't count total weight you add to the truck, or trailer as tongues weight. Only the actual weight of the tongue is tongue weight. IF you add 1215lb to the 4500lb dry weight of the trailer. The trailer then will weigh 5715lbs. Leaving a tongue weight of 685lbs. Leaving you with 814lb of payload. For your family, and any thing else you might want to put in the truck.
Something like

TT dry 4500lb

gear added to trailer 1215lb

total trailer weight 5715lb

X 13% = tongue weight of. 742lb

TV pay load 1500lb

TV payload minus tongue weight = 757lb

Leaving you with 757lbs of payload for you, your family. and what ever else you may want to carry in the truck. Now, Unless you and your family weigh in over 800lb. You have plenty of weight left over.

that is as easy as it gets. Don't try to make it harder than it has to be.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
majorgator wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
majorgator wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:

The regulation for the label came into effect around 2004/2005. So if your vehicle is older than that, you won't have the label.

4 out of 9 vehicles I own/have owned are newer than that date range, but still don't have payload shown on the sticker :h

This is the label usually on the B pillar.

Tire and Load Label
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
The 2004 Silverado would have the 4 speed transmission like the 2007 I had. I pulled our 5000k lb TT with the 1500 the first season and hated it. I never made it to the scales but would venture I was at or over the payload limit. The 1500 with the 5.3 coupled with a 3.42 gear made moderate grade hills a struggle. I also didn't like the way the weight of the TT pushed that truck around...my current 2500 made a huge difference in handling over the 1500.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
majorgator wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:

The regulation for the label came into effect around 2004/2005. So if your vehicle is older than that, you won't have the label.

4 out of 9 vehicles I own/have owned are newer than that date range, but still don't have payload shown on the sticker :h
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

bgitler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Larry that was very helpful. Here's what I'm thinking, please let me know if my math/logic is correct and reasonable:

Ford f 150 towing capacity- 7,700 lbs
Payload- 1,500 lbs
TT- Dry 4,500
TT Tongue Wt (13%)- 559 lbs
Family- 400 lbs (and growing)
Hitch- 100 lbs
Gear- 1,000 lbs

TOTAL TONGUE WT- 1059

So, my plan would be to not add anything to the vehicle (Larry, I hear what you're saying, however, purchasing a bigger vehicle isn't practical for my every day driving or wallet). Therefore, the 1,000 lbs of gear would go in the trailer bringing it to 5,500 pounds.

CORRECTION- If I add 1,000 lbs to the trailer my Tongue Weight will be 1,215 lbs

Does my math seem correct? It seems like this would work, but I would rather hear any concerns now, than find myself stuck on the side of the road in the mountains.

Thanks!