cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you do?

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
Well we're getting set for our next trip, about 4000 miles over about 4 weeks. Usually I detail the van and TT and all of our gear inside and out. Start out with it all sparkling! It lasts (at least on the outside) less than a week. This time we're detailing the interiors but just a quick wash on the outside of the TT and Van. No polishing the chrome, no shine on the tires, no waxing out every little smudge and spot, no back to black on the running boards and mud guards, no scrubbing the awning till it's white white.... You get it. What do you do? Do you detail it before you go? When you get back? Both?
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC
22 REPLIES 22

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've owned my truck for right about 2 years... washed and waxed it for the first time this spring when the pollen finally died down.

I've owned my trailer for 2.5 years, never washed it. Its stored under a carport, but there are no sides so it gets some dirt. We clean out the inside every couple of trips, always after a trip to the beach with all that sand.

I'm just not someone who labors over a toy. I bought the truck to be a tool to tow my trailer. I bought my trailer to be a toy that is enjoyed and used. Its not nearly as fun to me to spend an entire day sweating and buffing a truck and trailer that will just get road grime and dirt the next day when I leave for a trip.

My friend, on the other hand... he washes and waxes his truck and camper before every trip. I joked to him over the 4th that he is gonna eventually wash the paint off his truck...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
Besides, everybody know a clean and waxed car drives better ! :).

heck yes they do, they drive better, run better, and they are faster, wind drag is a real thing........

.................in my head
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I'm the guy that washes the truck every week or more often and waxes it every month. The trailer gets waxed three or so times per year. So yes, it's all clean before I leave, I usually clean the truck and trailer while I am out on the road, and again when I get home.
WTH, I powerwash out the inside of my horse trailers after every time they are used. My stuff looks new for years.

You call it crazy if you want, but I call it pride of ownership. Washing and waxing stuff is therapeutic. I keep stuff for a long time and I want it to look good all the time I own and use it. Besides, everybody know a clean and waxed car drives better ! ๐Ÿ™‚

I have a carpet and upholstery shampooer.....a few weeks ago I totally detailed one of my daughter's car and my grand-daughters car.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
I am kind-of-a clean freek so yes wash truck and TT even though the TT is under cover and under roof, most of the time we run into rain within a couple hours from home and the hole deal is filthy and the rest of the trip I am looking at it thinking why did I wast my time.

when we get home truck and camper get another scrubbing and the cover goes on the TT and the truck goes in the barn.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drive the vehicle through the car wash when it's looking dirty or after driving through winter salt, haven't done anything to the trailer yet. I've never waxed any vehicle I've owned, only show cars I've helped friends with, modern clearcoat eliminates the need to apply polish for paint protection and I can give a **** what they look like. Life's too short and busy to make up pointless tasks for myself ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
I always like going on our vacations with a washed TT and truck. For the weekend getaways I don't worry about it. Will use a waterless product while in a campground to wash the TT and truck since I am normally just killing time anyway waiting for the pool to open and time to pass before cracking the first cold one!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Wash and wax truck twice a year. Same for the camper. Basic cleaning inside the camper, just like the house.
When on my deathbed, I won't say, "****, I shoulda cleaned more often."
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
Anmacc2 wrote:
Well we're getting set for our next trip, about 4000 miles over about 4 weeks. Usually I detail the van and TT and all of our gear inside and out. Start out with it all sparkling! It lasts (at least on the outside) less than a week. This time we're detailing the interiors but just a quick wash on the outside of the TT and Van. No polishing the chrome, no shine on the tires, no waxing out every little smudge and spot, no back to black on the running boards and mud guards, no scrubbing the awning till it's white white.... You get it. What do you do? Do you detail it before you go? When you get back? Both?

I really don't understand why folks beat themselves silly "detailing" their vehicles and trailers to death.

A simple and quick wash and I am done, no waxing, no polishing, no clay bars, no endless hrs of fruitless effort spent, nothing.

Why?

Well, simply put within a couple miles of driving the windshield and all front facing surfaces will have bunches of bug splats, road dust, pollen will quickly take up that clean surface and hide it.. One rain and all of your hard work is down the drain.

Sure, it is nice to look at a clean rig, but really it is only clean for a couple of minutes and depending on how bad the pollens are, seconds after you rinse it.

Free yourself of a useless ritual, just a quick wash and go camp..

I agree.

I do clean up the pickup a few times a year. Get rid of the bug splatters, vacuum it out, clean the seats, ETC. And, I do take the truck to the car wash after it rains (I live on a gravel road) In the spring I clean up the Travel Trailer and add a little paint to the frame / wheels , or where ever else it needs it. After that I wash the Travel Trailer once or twice a year. Or, when it rains and I have to pull it down the gravel road.

I would rather be using it then cleaning it.

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
usually a pretty good scrubbing when we get back, especially to get the bugs off. our TV is also our daily commuter, so it's washed/waxed regularly anyway. we do a pretty good cleaning of the inside of the TT when we get back. With 2 huskies shedding, the TV is essentially never clean anyway, but a thorough vacuuming happens regularly as well.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
At a minimum I put wax on the front of the TV and trailer. Makes it easier to remove the bugs.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

OldSmokey
Explorer
Explorer
I get the grandkids to wash ours.. they have so much fun with suds and spraying each other..

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I clean the inside every time we return from a trip. Washed the awning and 5er for the first time in six years last month. Truck only gets done when it's dirty and in the winter with the road salt.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one of neighbors who washes/waxes and tire shines his cars every weekend along with power washing the house and patio. Whoever is visiting him gets their car done too. See where this going ?
I sit and watch him detail my truck and trailer. He really does a nice job and he feels it keeps the value of the neighborhood up.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never clean before a trip, I might wash the days bugs off while there easier to remove after a days travel. I clean it up inside and out before I put it back in covered storage.