cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you tie your awnings down with?

karalyn
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a simple way of tieing my awning down so the wind won't take it. Any suggestions???
Thanks
35 REPLIES 35

TPUC
Explorer
Explorer
I use flower pots filled with cement. They are about 40 lbs each. I used the same ones when I had a pop up. Worked for 10 years.
2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
2014 Cruiser Aire

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Never use any type of strap or hold down for awning.

It just makes it harder to pull in the awning when a storm hits. Trying to hold it down is a waste of time and hold downs give you a false sense of security, when you get up in the morning sure your awning frame will still be there but your awning won't.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

Harley_Dude
Explorer
Explorer
karalyn wrote:
I am looking for a simple way of tieing my awning down so the wind won't take it. Any suggestions???
Thanks

I copied this mod.....works great.

http://www.wildcatcamperforum.com/t3254-power-awning-tie-down-system
"You're a long time underground!"

karalyn
Explorer
Explorer
I have always put up my awning at the 1st sign of a wind. Hubby does it before the wind starts to blow. If he knows a storm is coming the awning goes up. However last summer while putting up the awning (no wind!)the bottom of the awning brackets tore loose from the TT leaving the awning useless, and we had to take TT in for repair. Now we are afraid to put the awning out for fear of it coming loose again. That is the reason for asking about better protection for the awning. We want every precaution to keep the awning from coming loose from the TT again in the future.
It sounds like bungie cords and ratchet and doggie tie outs are what most are using. I searched E-Bay, Camping world, and other places but not seeing a complete set up that looks sturdy.
I appreciate all the replies. Just thinking there was a reason my awning tore off at the bottom and wanting that to never happen again. I am looking for safety measures to keep it from happening ever again.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the soil and how long I am staying (I donโ€™t roll mine up unless bad storms are predicted)โ€ฆ I have homemade anchors made from 1 inch angle irons in several lengths up to 24 inches, the screw dog leash anchors, and I have expansion anchors, a couple of the claw type anchors, and some mobile home screw in anchors I can take if I think I will need themโ€ฆ
the claw
I usually use the carport option with 4 anchors and tent spikes in the awning arm cleats so the arm canโ€™t moveโ€ฆ I wouldnโ€™t want the awning out and not tied down even when I am there, I have experienced unexpected high-speed straight line winds to often and I would never tie off to a movable object of any type (picnic table, bucket of something)โ€ฆ and I would never try to retract the awning after the wind or storm startsโ€ฆ thatโ€™s what insurance is forโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of spikes I bought four cheap 14" screw drivers and cut off the flat blade (could not find long Phillips) drive them in at an angle through the awning patio feet. Handles make them easy to get out and if you set your angles right the handles are close to the awning feet and do not stick out.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Tied mine down and got a way with it for msny years. Did have to get up in the middle of the night several times. Finally with the awning tied down and a sudden strong wind the twisted the tied down awning so bad I couldn't get it up and had to take it off and leave it. Now I just roll it up every nite. Better safe than sorry.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Experience x 2 has taught us that when in doubt, put the awning away. First was wind and DH was able to order the parts and repair it....looked like it never happened. Second was a totally unpredicted monsoon in the middle of the night....nasty sound when the roller and all came crashing down. Thanks to insurance + our deductible it was replaced. If it's windy enough that we need to worry about tie-downs, it goes up.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the big camping spikes (look like giant nails with a plastic piece on top). They work quite well in the PA rocky ground and are rugged enough to hammer in and pull out and still be able to reuse!

Tip: Be sure to insert your stakes at 30-45 degree slant where the point is angled toward your load and the head away, then put the ALL the way in! Otherwise, most stakes are easily pulled out with minimal load.

We also use ratchet straps. Even used tarps in the past from the edge of the awning, laying on the straps and used more straps/rope to support it, making an extended anti-rain area on a particularly rainy trip!

Oh- the spikes can be tapped on the sides to loosen then before removing- simple.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
In 11 years of camping with the current TT, I've never felt the need to strap down my awning.. Just this last weekend, we were camping where it was pretty windy and it became too uncomfortable to sit out with the wind before anything was dangerous with the awning.. We retracted the awning and retired inside...

If there is just a simple a breeze out, we put on the awning flapper clamps and that helps keep the fabric from flapping too much. Once it starts shaking the whole trailer, that's time to bring it in anyway..

Of course the direction the wind is coming in relation to your awning will make a difference too...

While you can tie down the ends of the awning, you will still likely lose the the fabric where it attaches to the RV and it'll tear like a piece of paper no matter how secure you have the frame...

Anyway, that's just my experience with it and I'd sooner just retract the awning than tie it down when it gets to that point..

Good luck!

Mitch

Exactly...add me to this list.
(or in Forum speak....x2)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
I use ratchet straps from the top of the awning tube back down to the TT frame. The awning arm holds the awning up, and the ratchet straps holt from blowing too far up. The advantage, that I've found, is that if there is a little bit of movement in the TT, my awning isn't tied (immobile) to the ground. The awning moves with the TT.

I've seen a few (3 or 4) extended awnings blow-over the top of the TT over the years, and I've seen one common denominator: The awning arm attachment , low on the TT side, failed, stripping the screws out of the TT side. The ratchet straps prevent this.....
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Two dog stake cork screws... 2 wratchet straps ... 2 bungie cords to create a shock absorber. Total cost: $0. Got the dog cork screws from my mother years and years ago. Never used them, but tossed them in the first camper we had thinking we might use them for the dogs. Turns out the worked better for the awning. Wratchet straps? I got several, mostly to secure the canoe to the top of the truck, but double up for the awning. Bungie Cords? Dime a dozen. I have a few dozen bungies laying around all the time. I use them for everything. So when I saw how some of the awning straps were made, that people pay a premium for (many years ago), I put 2 and 1 together and came up with 3. Been doing it ever since, and no cost involved as I already had all the parts laying around anyway.

Mremdal33
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
You can buy awning straps that anchor to the ground at any rv store (or online) or just get 2 of the corkscrew type anchors used for securing dog leashes and some rope or a ratchet strap. Really only good for the manual awnings, the new power awnings shouldn't be strapped.

x2 on the cork screws.

Video of how to install and tie the corkscrews off

We have actually used them to tie the dogs off at the same time. It probably wouldnt be a good idea for large dogs but we just have two ankle biters.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
In 11 years of camping with the current TT, I've never felt the need to strap down my awning.. Just this last weekend, we were camping where it was pretty windy and it became too uncomfortable to sit out with the wind before anything was dangerous with the awning.. We retracted the awning and retired inside...

If there is just a simple a breeze out, we put on the awning flapper clamps and that helps keep the fabric from flapping too much. Once it starts shaking the whole trailer, that's time to bring it in anyway..

Of course the direction the wind is coming in relation to your awning will make a difference too...

While you can tie down the ends of the awning, you will still likely lose the the fabric where it attaches to the RV and it'll tear like a piece of paper no matter how secure you have the frame...

Anyway, that's just my experience with it and I'd sooner just retract the awning than tie it down when it gets to that point..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use those long camping spikes hammered into the ground and then attach racheting straps to both side arms of the awning. It can withstand medium winds BUT Im always aware and ready to take it in.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)