cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What has 3 rows and can pull 9K?

davehultin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kinda sounds like a grade-school riddle, right? We recently purchased a trailer with a GVWR of 7700 pounds, and are looking for our next tow vehicle. (No rush yet, we won't need it until spring.)

We had been thinking pickup, and looked at a really nice extended cab GMS Sierra that could do the job, but my wife is favoring a vehicle with three rows.

Friends of ours use a Toyota Sequoia which has three rows for seating and is rated for 9000 pounds. That would work well for us, but there aren't any (used) in our market. Any other vehicles like that I could search for?

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS
48 REPLIES 48

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
intheburbs wrote:
BenK wrote:
Though it still has a 8,600 GVWR...

Not sure if you're talking about your K3500 or the Suburban. If you're talking about the new 1-ton Burb, you're off by quite a bit regarding GVWR.

The new Burb has a GVWR of 11,000 lbs, and a payload rating of over 4200 lbs. That means it more than doubles the payload of my '08 2500 Burb, and only adds a few hundred pounds of curb weight. And this is substantially higher than the GMT800 2500 Burbs, and even the Excursion. All the makings of a monster TV. What a shame if they don't do more with it.
Probably built for limited government and armored vehicles. They probably don't want the public to purchase them because of what it would do to there fuel economy standards overall.

Correct. You can't go to your dealer and order/buy a new one. However, they're out there if you look around. I would drive to NC tomorrow to trade in my '08 Burb if I had confirmation about the towing ability....and I don't even see an integral brake controller.
CLICK HERE FOR ONE BAD BURB
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
intheburbs wrote:
BenK wrote:

Not sure if you're talking about your K3500 or the Suburban. If you're talking about the new 1-ton Burb, you're off by quite a bit regarding GVWR.

The new Burb has a GVWR of 11,000 lbs, and a payload rating of over 4200 lbs. That means it more than doubles the payload of my '08 2500 Burb, and only adds a few hundred pounds of curb weight. And this is substantially higher than the GMT800 2500 Burbs, and even the Excursion. All the makings of a monster TV. What a shame if they don't do more with it.
Probably built for limited government and armored vehicles. They probably don't want the public to purchase them because of what it would do to there fuel economy standards overall.

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Current 2017 1 ton Sub is designed for armor plating (limo duty) and NOT designed for towing

My K3500 was designed for both people hauler and towing...tongue'n cheek K3500 'cuz ordered it with the F60 option...which cost around $68 bucks

The Snow plow option begot a 1 ton front spring Snow Plow prep package

Plus the rear 6K GAWR is the same as the 1 ton dually of that year...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:
travelnman wrote:
Dave, I'm waiting for the new 2018 Ford Expedition looks awesome a real
Suburban killer. Its rated well over your requirements with 3 seats.

Not intending to be a pessimist here but the only statement I could find is that there is a Ford claimed "best in class towing" statement about the 2018 Ford Expedition. No where are max payload or towing capacity numbers to know if this is still going to be 1/2-ton capacities or higher. I do hope Ford is giving the capability of 3/4-ton range but only time will tell.

3/4 ton carrying capacity would require stiffer suspension, which soccer mommies and daddies will not like. So I doubt it will be much. Although a 2k lb CCC would be very good.

I never understood that. My 2500 Burb rides beautifully. No one ever comments on the ride being too harsh or stiff. Stock suspension, tires inflated at 50F/71R per the max inflation door tag, and Bilstein 4600 shocks.

The 2018 Expy a "Suburban killer?" Not likely, especially compared to the '13 and older 2500. It's still a half-ton, with semi-floater axles. I'll take my 10,000-lb 10.5" full floater, TYVM.

Still a bit confused why the 2016 3500HD Burb has such a low tow rating. Found a really nice '16 totally optioned out - leather, nav, rear DVDs, sunroof, etc. for $84,900. Honestly, if it actually had some decent towing rating, I'd be trading in my '08 2500.

js6343js6343
Explorer
Explorer
I tow an 8,000 Spinter that I load to 11,000 pounds. My 2004 Suburban is rated for 12,000 pounds.

I STILL wish I had more truck.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS
2004 Suburban 2500 8.1L 4.10
Reese dual cam WDH
Tekonsha Prodigy 2

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
"best in class towing"...define which class it is in GVWR...that is the true metric instead of marketing verbiage/nomenclature
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
RedRocket204 wrote:
travelnman wrote:

Not intending to be a pessimist here but the only statement I could find is that there is a Ford claimed "best in class towing" statement about the 2018 Ford Expedition. No where are max payload or towing capacity numbers to know if this is still going to be 1/2-ton capacities or higher. I do hope Ford is giving the capability of 3/4-ton range but only time will tell.

3/4 ton carrying capacity would require stiffer suspension, which soccer mommies and daddies will not like. So I doubt it will be much. Although a 2k lb CCC would be very good.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
travelnman wrote:

I love me some land yachting

travelnman
Explorer
Explorer
Suburban killer. Its rated well over your requirements with 3 seats. I wish
there were owners out there that could tell us more but it comes out in late
2017, I think it is worth waiting for. Put in the search window "2018 Expedition" and take a look. I think your wife will like the inside looks and
creature features of this new truck. It looks more like a typical luxury
vehicle than a truck. Dennis B.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Redwoodcamper wrote:
Expedition was a good choice. The 7.3 version would be best, but the V10 works. It's just terrible on fuel and really weak for how much fuel it uses. Good frame and towing capacity.
I think you have your vehicles mixed up, the Excursion could be had with a 6.8 or 7.3 Diesel and was a 3/4 ton SUV the Expedition is a half ton based SUV with the largest motor being the 5.4 V-8 . The current Expedition has the V-6 Eco-boost.

jgos929
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Expedition EL and it would pull your trailer all day. What I do is store everything I'm taking on the trip in the garage of my trailer. Only thing in the truck is passengers and their ipads or whatever they need to make the trip comfortably. I would rather the truck pull more weight then be weighed down if that makes sense.
TV: 2012 Dodge Ram Crew Cab HEMI
TT: 2006 KZ Jag 29JB

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
davehultin wrote:
RinconVTR wrote:
First load it up and go weigh it.

OK, stupid question time ... HOW do you weigh it?

I've never ever before weighed any vehicle in my life. Teach me once and I'll know forever!

I see the CAT scales at truck stops and truck-friendly convenience stores, but what's the protocol? Drive up on a pad of some kind then go inside and say, "There it is, weigh that please!" I'm looking for the step-by-step instructions that will allow me to leave with a reliable weight measurement.

Don't leave me hanging here, please don't tell me I'm the only one with this question! ๐Ÿ™‚

It's actually kind of fun. You have to think like a trucker: Drive up onto the scales. There will be a call button (at truck-cab height). When you're ready, call in and tell them to get the weights. Then drive off the scales, go inside and ask them for the printout of your weights. It will cost something like $10 or so.

Now it gets more tricky if you want a full set of statistics. Someone more expert than I will jump in here and give you the procedure. There are actually TWO scales: You'll want to position your axles properly so that the two scales give you info that you want and need.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

davehultin
Explorer III
Explorer III
RinconVTR wrote:
First load it up and go weigh it.

OK, stupid question time ... HOW do you weigh it?

I've never ever before weighed any vehicle in my life. Teach me once and I'll know forever!

I see the CAT scales at truck stops and truck-friendly convenience stores, but what's the protocol? Drive up on a pad of some kind then go inside and say, "There it is, weigh that please!" I'm looking for the step-by-step instructions that will allow me to leave with a reliable weight measurement.

Don't leave me hanging here, please don't tell me I'm the only one with this question! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS