cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What has 3 rows and can pull 9K?

davehultin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kinda sounds like a grade-school riddle, right? We recently purchased a trailer with a GVWR of 7700 pounds, and are looking for our next tow vehicle. (No rush yet, we won't need it until spring.)

We had been thinking pickup, and looked at a really nice extended cab GMS Sierra that could do the job, but my wife is favoring a vehicle with three rows.

Friends of ours use a Toyota Sequoia which has three rows for seating and is rated for 9000 pounds. That would work well for us, but there aren't any (used) in our market. Any other vehicles like that I could search for?

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS
48 REPLIES 48

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
for what its worth I just played this (wife is not a truck person) we now own a 2016 f150 super crew that was new left on the lot. she came around when she realized it would be roughly half of the cost of the suv equivalent.

also as others have said. payload is key here. watch it closely
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

blt2ski
camp-n-family wrote:
SpeakEasy wrote:
camp-n-family wrote:
Don't forget as well that tow ratings reduce pound for pound with weight added to the vehicle. New ratings include 150lbs each for driver and 1 front passenger. Anything else added reduces the tow rating.

Wait. What???

Someone please explain or fact-check this statement.

So you're saying that a vehicle that has a 1700 lb payload capacity and 7000 lb towing capacity ACTUALLY has only a 5300 lb towing capacity if payload is maxed out (7000 minus 1700 = 5300)? That's how I am interpreting what you're saying, but it seems odd at best. Please clarify your meaning.

-Speak

Tow ratings are not calculated with a vehicle maxed out on payload. The new SAE2807 standards calculate the ratings with only a 150lbs driver and a 150lbs passenger. Previous to the 2807 standard coming into effect in the last couple of years, it only included 150lbs for a driver and nothing else.

The vehicle towing has to move the weight no matter if it's in the vehicle or trailer, therefor any weight added to the tv above the allotted standard weight will reduced the amount it is rated to pull, pound for pound. Your example is close. A tv with 1700lbs of payload and a 7000lbs tow rating would have its tow rating reduced to 5600lbs if it was loaded to its gvwr. It's reduced by 1400lbs because 300lbs is already included for driver and passenger using the new SAE2807 standards. (150lbs for each).

ACTUALLY If you have a maxed our rig payload/gvwr wise, You in reality have NO trailer tow ability. as you have no where to put the 10-25% hitch wt that is generally carried in the payload part of the tow rig. NO tow rating will include a maxed out rig to begin with, UNLESS one considers it safe to tow with 0 or a negative hitch weight!

Also you do not reduce tow rating lbs for lbs in increased people, gear in tow rig. For 10%, you reduce tow rating by 10 lbs per lb added to tow rig, with 25%, it is reduced 4lbs per lb added to tow rig!

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
davehultin wrote:
Kinda sounds like a grade-school riddle, right? We recently purchased a trailer with a GVWR of 7700 pounds, and are looking for our next tow vehicle. (No rush yet, we won't need it until spring.)

We had been thinking pickup, and looked at a really nice extended cab GMS Sierra that could do the job, but my wife is favoring a vehicle with three rows.

Friends of ours use a Toyota Sequoia which has three rows for seating and is rated for 9000 pounds. That would work well for us, but there aren't any (used) in our market. Any other vehicles like that I could search for?

I tow at max with a 2010 Sequoia. A Grand Design 2800BH specifically.

My 2010 is rated for 9200lbs but payload is 1230lbs and the rear springs are WEAK.

Today, there is no SUV that will tow 9000+ lbs, not even the Sequoia. Under the new SAE towing standard is now rated for only 7200lbs.

Even more importantly...you need LT tires and I highly recommend the Hensley or Propride hitch. I will tell you straight up, I could not tow this long trailer without the Hensley hitch.

Anyway, dont sweat the 7700 GWRW of the trailer yet. First load it up and go weigh it. Then see where you're at. If your 7500lbs loaded, then you have reason to sweat!

And if yo really want 3 rows and heavy duty towing ability beyond an SUV found today, then you have only one option. A large VAN.

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Expedition was a good choice. The 7.3 version would be best, but the V10 works. It's just terrible on fuel and really weak for how much fuel it uses. Good frame and towing capacity.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
camp-n-family wrote:
Don't forget as well that tow ratings reduce pound for pound with weight added to the vehicle. New ratings include 150lbs each for driver and 1 front passenger. Anything else added reduces the tow rating.

Wait. What???

So you're saying that a vehicle that has a 1700 lb payload capacity and 7000 lb towing capacity ACTUALLY has only a 5300 lb towing capacity if payload is maxed out (7000 minus 1700 = 5300)? That's how I am interpreting what you're saying, but it seems odd at best. Please clarify your meaning.

-Speak

Tow ratings are not calculated with a vehicle maxed out on payload. The new SAE2807 standards calculate the ratings with only a 150lbs driver and a 150lbs passenger. Previous to the 2807 standard coming into effect in the last couple of years, it only included 150lbs for a driver and nothing else.

The vehicle towing has to move the weight no matter if it's in the vehicle or trailer, therefor any weight added to the tv above the allotted standard weight will reduced the amount it is rated to pull, pound for pound. Your example is close. A tv with 1700lbs of payload and a 7000lbs tow rating would have its tow rating reduced to 5600lbs if it was loaded to its gvwr. It's reduced by 1400lbs because 300lbs is already included for driver and passenger using the new SAE2807 standards. (150lbs for each).
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looked at a 2018 Expedition at the auto show, fairly loaded model and it had 1700+ payload, bet a low end model properly equipped pushes 2,000 pounds payload.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
2001 suburban was either 5.3, 6.0, or 8.1
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
It is all in the specifications and here is the link to your TV:
Ford 2013 F150

First, decide if you believe in the OEM's ratings/specifications/limits/etc or not

If not, then academic this

If yes, then read up and learn how all OEM ratings/limits/specifications/etc work. It is a system and note that most only take one spec to then think it applies to all conditions and models....it does NOT

The GCWR is listed in that Ford.com site above

Find it for 'your' TV

Then take the MTWR (max tow weight rating) for 'your' TV and subtract it from the GCWR.

The will/should be close to the Curb for your TV, plus the tow option, WD Hitch system and one 150 lb driver. Fluids can range from 1/4 to 1/2 to full

The actuary tables list the 'average' American at 150 lbs and is based on old, old tables. Coast Guard has increased theirs to 180 lbs for their rating of the number of passengers that vessel is rated to carry...updated because if that vessel rating is exceeded...folks drown and die...while a TV will just break down and coast to the side of the road in most situations...

Then load up your TV as if ready to tow and weigh it, axle by axle

That total TV weight subtracted from the GCWR will NOT be the curb weight of your TV...

Since most TV's have options, driver more than 150 Lbs, has passengers, cargo, pets, etc...they typically weigh more than their listed curb...meaning the for ever pound more than the listed curb...it takes pound for pound away from the listed MTWR

That is covered with these weasel words in fine print at the bottom of all the ratings/limits/etc charts: "Maximum capability when properly equipped"....meaning a curb (stripper model), one 150 lb driver, tow option, WD hitch system...

SpeakEasy wrote:
camp-n-family wrote:

Wait. What???

-Speak
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
camp-n-family wrote:

Wait. What???

of course its true , people are payload too. every pound is payload they only give you 1 freebee
150# person and the hitch the rest you have to count.

-Speak
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer ratings/GCWR are based on curb weight of the tow vehicle, driver, passenger each weighing 150lbs and 70lbs hitch equipment (SAE J2807).

Any weights added to the tow vehicle above that, reduce the trailer weight pound for pound.

Technically.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:

Wait. What???

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Ford excursion

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
likestrucks wrote:
Go pick up a 2016 Suburban 3500HD from GM Fleet Services. Has a Payload of 4400 lbs. Have found mixed specs on the tow rating with some sites saying as low 3000 which doesn't make sense, but I don't see why it wouldn't tow 10000 pounds. We used to tow a 10000 lbs TT with a 2001 Suburban 2500 with a 6.0 and 4.10.

Edit - Looks like its a Gov and maybe commercial fleet only option to buy. So probably wouldn't be able to get your hands on one of these until they are all used up and sold as surplus.

2001 Suburban with a 6.0? Wasn't it 5.7 or 8.1 only?

davehultin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been away from this forum for quite a while, but now we're getting back into summer camping planning mode again, so back to the forum! Just to close the loop on this thread, we ended up finding a 2010 Expedition with the heavy-duty towing package, so it fits the towing capacity! We got a heckuva deal on the trade, too.

I'm getting excited to see how it does pulling the camper in a few months. So far it's been a good start as a non-towing vehicle. The only issue is that it acts like there's a hole in the gas tank, just can't keep that thing filled up as easy! I just have to remind myself I got it for pulling, not for good mileage.

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS

kokotg
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for a van. We have a Ford e350 v10 that tows 10,000 pounds. We looked all over the place to find the v10 and ended up driving 4 hours to get it...but it's been great for us. Hoping to have it for many years to come.
Camping with 4 boys and 3 dogs in a Jayco Octane Superlite 272
Blogging at Boxy Colonial on the Road