cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is most weight you guys haul with a F250?

jlhartline
Explorer
Explorer
I recently ordered a 2019 Ford F250 Super Duty Limited 4x4 short bed SRW with upgraded heavy trailer tow package.

I don't have the truck yet. It may take another month or so from the factory.

I have been looking at 5th wheels and really like the new Montana High Country 381TH. I am concerned that it may be too heavy for the truck (tongue and total weight).

The online towing guides are confusing from Ford. They show higher trailer towing weight maximums than fifth wheels which didn't make sense to me.

I am curious how much weight some of you have been able to comfortably tow with your Ford 250's with similar specifications?

Thanks for any help.

John
54 REPLIES 54

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:

No he doesn't have is backwards.

Here is a description of the High Capacity Trailer Tow Option.

F-250 HIGH-CAPACITY TRAILER TOW PACKAGE1
(F-250 with diesel engine): 3.0" trailer hitch receiver, max.
front springs, upgraded axles and 25,700-lb. GCWR

I just checked, the gearing is the same.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
A Moderator can be wrong, just like anyone else on the forum. Only difference, they can have the last word, right or wrong. Marty knows the legalities of bridge laws, and the get arounds.

It appears that the OP ordered his new truck, optioned near 350 capability. If this truck won't work, he would be better off with a DRW, or different FW. Once he gets the truck, and takes the time to weigh each axle, he will better realize his best option.

Jerry

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe Marty's comments are based on the Federal Bridge weight laws and the Washington State Registration for tonnage. Wadecutter has made many similar post.

Here is a lot of confusion in regards to how a pickup truck can violate weight and registration requirements.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
blt2ski wrote:
In Wa St, Assuming you have an 8000 lb empty truck, no passengers etc, you will have to buy a 12,000 lb GVW license/registration. You would be legal to that amount too! So 4000 lbs of payload. Actual weight legal would be 10-11K lbs per axel, Assuming a 10-12" wide tire.

I'm sure the motor etc is up to a 12-15K trailer. WIth a 7000 RA, 5-6000 FA, you should be fine from a legal standpoint pulling the large toyhauler.

Marty

I find this to be bad advice from a Moderator!
Stating that OP can put 10-11K lbs on an axle, assuming a 10-12" wide tire. Unless that tire is on a 19.5" rim you will not find a tire with 5,000# to 5,500# capacity.
Seeing how Ford only rates their SRW F350 to 11,500#, the combination OP is looking at will likely put the TV over that much weight likely do to tires.
Discussing exceeding manufactures GVWR and/or axle rating, requires a full discussion of wheels and tires and their capacities.

The OP is a new member encouraging him to start out over manufacture GVWR, and possibly over rear GAWR, wheel, and tire ratings I don't understand at all.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2012, gas, crew Cab, 4x4, F250 and pulled our current 5th wheel (10K pounds dry). Max tow wieght of that one was 12K. This was at the top of the specs for the truck. It struggled on steeper inclines. I switched to a F350 Dually a year ago. Wish I had done it earlier. If you are planning on pulling a 5'r, switch trucks!

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
jlhartline wrote:
I have a VIN. That came through pretty quickly after the order. With the upgraded trailer package, my understanding is that the rear axel is the same as a 350 although geared differently. There are also springs added very similar to the 350 when you add the option I did.

I think that you have it backwards, at one time the rears were the same design and geared the same. Current rears are a different manufacturer but still geared the same. I don't know why the change but they both hold up well.

You need to get the numbers because an F250 with the right options can be much the same as a F350 SRW. Also, springs can be swapped out and the F250 can be made the same as an F350, but the sticker police would have a hissy here.

Now it does sound like you are pushing the limits with any SRW and might be better off with a dually or a smaller trailer.

No he doesn't have is backwards.

Here is a description of the High Capacity Trailer Tow Option.

F-250 HIGH-CAPACITY TRAILER TOW PACKAGE1
(F-250 with diesel engine): 3.0" trailer hitch receiver, max.
front springs, upgraded axles and 25,700-lb. GCWR
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

blt2ski
In Wa St, Assuming you have an 8000 lb empty truck, no passengers etc, you will have to buy a 12,000 lb GVW license/registration. You would be legal to that amount too! So 4000 lbs of payload. Actual weight legal would be 10-11K lbs per axel, Assuming a 10-12" wide tire.

I'm sure the motor etc is up to a 12-15K trailer. WIth a 7000 RA, 5-6000 FA, you should be fine from a legal standpoint pulling the large toyhauler.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
You should be looking at a 14,000 GVWR 5th wheel---MAX

Your 2019 250 is basically same as my 2007 3500 SRW
14K 5th wheel puts me right at Trucks RAWR and under Rear Tire Max Load Ratings

Why spend all the $$$$ for a new truck, and start out over GVWR, and RIGHT Rear axle and tire ratings????

That and he is looking at a Limited trim level, likely to weigh about 8,000# empty.

Because Trucks GVWR is a number used by MFG for warranty/Class Distinction
Axle Ratings/Tire Ratings are the ones that are Important.

Same old nonsense about GVWR----which has no Legal Requirement that must be met
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
You can tow way more than a “half ton towable”. That being said the camper you want is too much. I tow a 35 ft fifth wheel with f250 and my camper is 9900 dry. Works very well. 6.2 gas does well.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the world of fifth wheel trailering. You can pull way more than you can carry. And you can't carry the pin weight of a 38' 5th wheel or anything even close. You ordered the wrong truck. Stick to very small 5ers or move up to a 1 ton, preferably a drw.

jlhartline
Explorer
Explorer
So full specs is the truck is 2019 Limited F250 Crew Cab SRW 3.55 short bed diesel with the heavy towing option. I bought it to use as a daily driver so I opted not to go to a DRW in the 350 or 450 class.

From what everyone is saying, it sounds like that Montana High Country 381TH will be out of reach due to weight. That's a shame since it would be perfect for my Yamaha Royal Star Venture and I love how they laid it out without reducing the living space.

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
I tow 8800lbs - Truck is rated for 3110lbs of payload the way I have it configured. Mine is gas with the 4.30 axle.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Why spend all the $$$$ for a new truck, and start out over GVWR, and RIGHT Rear axle and tire ratings????

That and he is looking at a Limited trim level, likely to weigh about 8,000# empty.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
jlhartline wrote:
I have a VIN. That came through pretty quickly after the order. With the upgraded trailer package, my understanding is that the rear axel is the same as a 350 although geared differently. There are also springs added very similar to the 350 when you add the option I did.

I think that you have it backwards, at one time the rears were the same design and geared the same. Current rears are a different manufacturer but still geared the same. I don't know why the change but they both hold up well.

You need to get the numbers because an F250 with the right options can be much the same as a F350 SRW. Also, springs can be swapped out and the F250 can be made the same as an F350, but the sticker police would have a hissy here.

Now it does sound like you are pushing the limits with any SRW and might be better off with a dually or a smaller trailer.