cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is most weight you guys haul with a F250?

jlhartline
Explorer
Explorer
I recently ordered a 2019 Ford F250 Super Duty Limited 4x4 short bed SRW with upgraded heavy trailer tow package.

I don't have the truck yet. It may take another month or so from the factory.

I have been looking at 5th wheels and really like the new Montana High Country 381TH. I am concerned that it may be too heavy for the truck (tongue and total weight).

The online towing guides are confusing from Ford. They show higher trailer towing weight maximums than fifth wheels which didn't make sense to me.

I am curious how much weight some of you have been able to comfortably tow with your Ford 250's with similar specifications?

Thanks for any help.

John
54 REPLIES 54

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
ib516 wrote:
I'd like to see what a 2019 F250 Limited 6.7L diesel has for payload. I bet it's around 2k. The best source for that info is the "tire and loading information" sticker inside the driver's door. IN the real world, with any decent size 5er, he'll be over GVWR.

I found (via google) an image of the sticker from a 2019 F250 diesel Platinum. Payload was 1790#. His will be similar. Add in passengers, and a 5er hitch, and some misc cargo and you're going to be left with about 1100 - 1200# for pin weight before you max out GVWR. That's just life with a 3/4 ton diesel with a 10k GVWR (which is the max for the class of truck). That's in the "half ton towable" 5er class. Cougar makes a "half ton" series of 5th wheels. Their pin weights are 1300 - 1500#.

This post is dangerous nonsense. Of course weight ratings matter. The whole truck is built around its capacity.
Payload means jack on a 3/4 ton diesel, that topic has been so beat to death anybody who's been around more than a week should know that. Suggesting a new 3/4 ton diesel can only safely handle a super lightweight FW with those kind of pin weights is laughable.

That said OP might be advised to be thinking about a dually if he's wanting to tow a 40'+ fifth wheel. That's a lot of trailer.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
jlhartline wrote:
So full specs is the truck is 2019 Limited F250 Crew Cab SRW 3.55 short bed diesel with the heavy towing option. I bought it to use as a daily driver so I opted not to go to a DRW in the 350 or 450 class.

From what everyone is saying, it sounds like that Montana High Country 381TH will be out of reach due to weight. That's a shame since it would be perfect for my Yamaha Royal Star Venture and I love how they laid it out without reducing the living space.

You're in for a huge surprise when you weigh a 4 door truck and even an empty 5th wheel. With allowance for 25% pin weight and maybe two passengers, you should look at 5th wheels with GVWRs no more than 10k pounds. A SRW 1 ton will get you another couple thousand pounds.

You don't need "heavy towing" add much as you need "more gvwr." My truck is rated for over 20k GCWR, butt there is simply no trailer on earth that can get me to the GCWR without busting the payload rating (~2700 pounds) or putting a real hurting on my two rear tires. People don't buy DRW trucks because they like replacing six tires instead of four or because they hate drive throughs and normal parking spots. They buy them because they are rated and able to support the weight rewired for heavy trailering.

If you don't want a DRW, buy a ball hitch trailer instead. I'd won't pull as nice, but you can get a much bigger trailer without busting your GVWR.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Me Again wrote:
S Davis wrote:
In WA that is registered weight not actual, so if your truck is registered for 12,000gvw you can only legally tow a trailer with a max registered gvw of 14,000.

Please explain that in more detail. For two years I towed a 16K 5th wheel with a 3500 RAM registered to 12K. The 12K trucks GVW license has nothing to do with a RV trailer that carries it's own registration. Now if that was a commercial combination the Truck would have to be license to or about the combined weight.

Exactly, towing an RV for private use no one is concerned with your weights. But if you delivered RVs for a living with your truck you would need to license it for the combined weight and you would need a class A CDL if you were over 26K GCWR.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

blt2ski
Last I'm looked, there is not an issue being over 26k per "say!" The last 3-4 times I have renewed my trucks, I have been asked if I pull a trailer over 10k lbs. I'm going to SWAG as I am thumb typing on phone, that there is a tax/fee one has to pay. Just like iirc, 14k gvw for the truck, there is an FCC tax added to registration.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
S Davis wrote:
In WA that is registered weight not actual, so if your truck is registered for 12,000gvw you can only legally tow a trailer with a max registered gvw of 14,000.

Please explain that in more detail. For two years I towed a 16K 5th wheel with a 3500 RAM registered to 12K. The 12K trucks GVW license has nothing to do with a RV trailer that carries it's own registration. Now if that was a commercial combination the Truck would have to be license to or about the combined weight.

Don’t know about Washington, but there is no special endorsement for a Non commercial RV combination over 26,000# in Oregon.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
S Davis wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Also consider that a lot of states have a 26,000lb max gcwr after that you are looking at different drivers license requirements. In WA that is registered weight not actual, so if your truck is registered for 12,000gvw you can only legally tow a trailer with a max registered gvw of 14,000. I verified this with three WA state patrol officers. Also they go by tire, wheel, axle ratings not the door sticker when looking for over loading.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ib516 wrote:
I'd like to see what a 2019 F250 Limited 6.7L diesel has for payload. I bet it's around 2k. The best source for that info is the "tire and loading information" sticker inside the driver's door. IN the real world, with any decent size 5er, he'll be over GVWR.

I found (via google) an image of the sticker from a 2019 F250 diesel Platinum. Payload was 1790#. His will be similar. Add in passengers, and a 5er hitch, and some misc cargo and you're going to be left with about 1100 - 1200# for pin weight before you max out GVWR. That's just life with a 3/4 ton diesel with a 10k GVWR (which is the max for the class of truck). That's in the "half ton towable" 5er class. Cougar makes a "half ton" series of 5th wheels. Their pin weights are 1300 - 1500#.

The issue becomes worse when you consider that an F350 SRW has a max GVWR of 11,500# so even a F350 SRW 1,790+1,500=3,290# total payload, he might loose a couple hundred pounds going to a F350.
Then hitch, passengers, and STUFF for about 700# is on the wishful side!”
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
ib516 wrote:

Payload means jack on a 3/4 ton diesel, that topic has been so beat to death anybody who's been around more than a week should know that. Suggesting a new 3/4 ton diesel can only safely handle a super lightweight FW with those kind of pin weights is laughable.

That said OP might be advised to be thinking about a dually if he's wanting to tow a 40'+ fifth wheel. That's a lot of trailer.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. I have a friend (Scotty from Scotty systems - Cummins diesel mods) who got a ticket for being over GVWR in the USA with his 3500 Megacab DRW longbed (custom conversion)). It of course had the factory spec 10,500# GVWR, and he was towing an RV. I know him personally, we live in the same city. It wasn't laughable to him at that point, but to each their own. Some may want to stay within payload specs, and others pile the weight on until the rear bumper drags on the ground.

However, the fact remains that an F250 diesel limited like the OPs will have around 1800 - 1900# payload, as per the manufacturer, and WILL NOT be able to haul a very big/heavy 5er without going over GVWR and/or GAWR. That is a FACT.

Now, whether that matters to the OP is up to him, and it's certainly his choice on how to proceed. But just because it's your opinion that GVWR doesn't matter, etc. etc. doesn't change anything about the facts. I was just trying to share FACTS so the OP has all the knowledge that he can choose to ignore or comply with.

Oh, and I've "been around here" since 2003, I have an engineering degree, and I'm a LEO (22 years) who specializes in Traffic Collision Reconstruction. I have testified many times as an expert witness in court regarding collisions/fault/causes.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I would see if the dealer will just stock the order and reorder an appropriate truck. Unless the speced truck is some kind of unicorn in someway, they should be willing to do that. Or scale back the trailer.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you can change your order to a F350 SRW you should. The price should be within a few hundred dollars. If you can't change the order you could add an overload spring to your rear axle and ignore your truck's gvwr. The gross weight of the fiver will not hurt anything on your truck. It is the pin weight that is of concern.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

blt2ski
As noted by some, Bridge Laws give you a min of 500 lbs per inch of tire, and 20K per axel. Manufactures ratings are null and void when it comes to how much you can legally put on an axel. Would it be smart to put 11,000 on the OPs new to him truck. Probably not!
An LEO would get him off the road from a safety standpoint if he was at 11K per axle. IE via lack of brakes. An LEO would do a field test, if he can not pass the field test, he has a red flag on the vehicle. It can not move until the brakes are fixed. Not that he could fix them! This ticket goes against his driving record. An overweight per registration, or bridge laws, does not go against your driving record.
Any of you with duallys, could put 20k on your rear, be legal. Another 10-12k up front.......
12K gvw I would not have an issue running down the road with OPs truck. Been there done that!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Bedlam
The F250 is still using the Visteon Sterling 10.5” axle rated at 9750 lbs. the F350 is now using Dana axles on both the SRW and DRW.

If I already owned the truck, I would not hesitate to upgrade wheels and suspension components to be able run a 9000 LB rear axle weight. On the other hand, I would not buy this truck knowing I needed upgrades immediately. If possible, change to a truck that can handle 20 percent of gross trailer weight rating plus what ever you plan to carry in the truck.

I was carrying 8000 lbs on my rear axle and weighed about 12,500 lbs GVW and 19,500 lbs GCW with my 2005 F250, so it can be done for extended miles and years safely.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV