cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the current state of big 3 diesels?

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
Let's avoid brand bashing please...

Just curious about real world experiences with the newer diesels. My experience is with the pre emission LBZ. How are the new ones doing, particularly with all the emissions equipment and any problems that stuff is (or is not?) causing?

Thanks for your input.
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com
33 REPLIES 33

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"CUMMINGS" That's a place in Georgia

I would suggest trying out the West Coast. Then report back.

Congrats with the 100K!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Kenc_AL
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a FORD truck with a CUMMINGS engine loaded with a ALLISON transmission!

Seriously - My 2011 6.7 Lariat King Ranch flipped over 100,000 trouble free miles today - over 25,000 towing 34 FT 5th wheel with total truck & RV load 22,500 lbs.

I love the tow haul mode, its downhill braking is exceptional. You have to get above 7% grade for it not to handle the set cruise downhill speed. Have not yet found an uphill grade the cruise does not maintain. It is an absolute towing machine.

I get 10.7 MPG towing and around 18 not towing but I live in rolling hills which has a negative impact. Spent 7 weeks in Florida (no hills) and got 22 MPG not towing. The regen is absolutely no issue.

I would recommend this diesel engine to anyone. Right now I think it is as good as my old 7.3 which I put 280,000 trouble free miles on.

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
xaugievike wrote:
thanks again to those that replied. picked up a chevy 3500drw yesterday.

Well at least you bought a Dually 😉

I figured if i was gonna fork out this much cash, I wasn't going to make a lateral move!

plan on keeping this one for a good, long time. dually will help when my 2-foot-itis spreads to the camper again....

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
xaugievike wrote:

Well at least you bought a Dually 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
path1 wrote:
What is the current state of big 3 diesels?

Nothing changed.

Ford and GM trying to catch up to Cummins and Cummins is not helping themselves by trying to make them quieter and cheaper.

Please explain "Cummins is not helping themselves by trying to make them quieter and cheaper"

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:
45Ricochet wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Simple. They are all good.

The OTR trucks seem to be doing fine so maybe the same will happen with the newer pickup. :W

Sorry. I am in the trucking business. The newer emissions have caused all kinds of issues and problems in the OTR trucks. Serious problems. Impossible to find problems. They are not "doing fine".

X2 we have terrible reliability with DEF primarily the Volvo/Mack. Not much trouble with the Cummins.
Shopping for Travel Trailer

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Simple. They are all good.

The OTR trucks seem to be doing fine so maybe the same will happen with the newer pickup. :W

Sorry. I am in the trucking business. The newer emissions have caused all kinds of issues and problems in the OTR trucks. Serious problems. Impossible to find problems. They are not "doing fine".

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
xaugievike wrote:
Let's avoid brand bashing please...

Just curious about real world experiences with the newer diesels. My experience is with the pre emission LBZ. How are the new ones doing, particularly with all the emissions equipment and any problems that stuff is (or is not?) causing?

LBZ FTW!!!

I love my LBZ, and my LMM.

The only time I've had an emissions code set was because some critters chewed up the wiring harness to the DPF sensors.
$4000 later (new wiring harnesses) and it's fine.

I haven't had any "real" problems with my 09 LMM, other than lack of use. It has 40,500 miles on it. The fuel mileage isn't as good as my LBZ. Extra emissions and 2 extra tires are the culprit.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
Can't go wrong with any of them. All I'll say is I'd recommend a 1 ton rather than 3/4 ton.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
As far as performance and ability they all have it in spades but if there are going to be problems it will most likely involve the complicated emissions systems, none of the manufacturer's are immune from that.

estesbubba
Explorer
Explorer
They are all great trucks and as complicated they are these days there's plenty of places to have problems. That doesn't mean they will but there are a lot of pieces to these modern diesels. I have a 2015 Ram 3500 SWR and my buddy has a 2015 Chevy 3500 SWR. It's amazing how similar our trucks are even down to only 50 lbs. difference in towing capacity. Both of our trucks will tow all day in 2nd OD on the interstate and barely notice there's a trailer behind them.

I went to a diesel clinic with head mechanics from all three dealers and they said 2013 is when they all really figured out the new emissions and also got mileage a lot better. With 4000 miles on mine I'm averaging 17.9 daily driving and 12.0 towing around 10k. My last tank daily driving was 19.53 so no complaints with mileage.
--Bubba

2008 Keystone Cougar 291RLS 5er
2015 Ram 3500 SRW Crew Cab with 6.7L Cummins

Our Website

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Cummins. Great truck. The only real problem I've had from it is not running it hard enough. My bad. Soot builds up in the EPA exhaust system and messes up the O2 sensors. Fixed that by towing more. Aww shucks. Tell the DW it's time for truck maintenance, GOTTA go camping. That fixed the problem. Hasn't been in for a cleaning in over 30,000 miles. At 78,000 so far.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I like my 15 Ram better than my 12...better fuel mileage and and throttle response. Also like the fact Ram has a def Guage instead of just a warning light letting you know how many miles worth of def you have left as the new ford's do.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP