cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the current state of big 3 diesels?

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
Let's avoid brand bashing please...

Just curious about real world experiences with the newer diesels. My experience is with the pre emission LBZ. How are the new ones doing, particularly with all the emissions equipment and any problems that stuff is (or is not?) causing?

Thanks for your input.
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com
33 REPLIES 33

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
2015 GMC 3500 Srw Duramax 22000 kil ,use it like a grocery getter when not towing a 15k fiver,gets 4 mpg better empty on the highway than the 06 5.9 Cummins that also was a great truck.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Your going to get a much better response to your worries by looking in on each truck brand diesel forums.
That way you can find if their are any common issues or just a single truck issue.....and the fix.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
xaugievike wrote:
Let's avoid brand bashing please...

Just curious about real world experiences with the newer diesels. My experience is with the pre emission LBZ. How are the new ones doing, particularly with all the emissions equipment and any problems that stuff is (or is not?) causing?

Thanks for your input.

I plan on holding on to my LBZ for as long as I can get in it to drive it.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:

Nothing changed.

Ford and GM trying to catch up to Cummins and Cummins is not helping themselves by trying to make them quieter and cheaper.

Catch up how? Quieter and cheaper? Not following...
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Simple. They are all good.

You know I agree for the most part but the real answer is father time. SCR is only what about a 4 year adventure for the big three.
The OTR trucks seem to be doing fine so maybe the same will happen with the newer pickup. Anything is better than the 2008-2010 years :W

X 2. Hoping that the new emissions controls on these will stand up to the miles I expect to put on my truck.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
2015 sierra denali vs. my 04.5 15 gets about 2mpg better on the highway when unloaded, engine is quiter than the 04.5LLY, interior much better and quiter.

about the same mileage towing, uses about 5 gallons of DEF every 6,000 miles.

Neighbor has a 2012 dodge, another neighbor a 2012, F250. I've ridden in them and they are also very nice and have proven to be reliable so far.

all three of us have compared and each of us have found things in the other trucks we would have liked to have had in ours.

IMHO all 3 are very fine trucks, pick the one you want/like best and I suspect you will be happy.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

path1
Explorer
Explorer

Nothing changed.

Ford and GM trying to catch up to Cummins and Cummins is not helping themselves by trying to make them quieter and cheaper.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
The biggest difference between my previous 2004 5.9 diesel and the 2010 6.7 is the mileage when I am not towing. I got 19 mpg with the 5.9 and only about 13 mpg with the 6.7. The 2010 is much better from a stop with a load and ride is much improved. Towing mileage is about the same with both, 10 mpg. I have heard the newer 6.7 with DEF are getting better non-towing mileage.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to those that replied constructively.

I haven't dabbled much in the newer stuff to know if the new emissions stuff was causing any particular hot messes yet. As I spend the majority of my time talking to the pre-emission crowd, to hear them talk of the new rigs, you'd think that they (the new trucks) struggle to get out of the driveway.
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com

rwjejits
Explorer
Explorer
I thought trolling on a Friday was against the rules?
2004 Ford F250 6.0
OEM TTYs Still Tight
210+ and Pulls Great
Original Owner- Lawrence Marshall Ford - Hempsted, Tx. (Closed 2009)
SCT, SG2, Deletes, Pyro, Free Flowing Exhaust, Timbrens, ELC & Filter

2011 Keystone Laredo 245RL

parkersdad
Explorer
Explorer
All are good but I prefer Ram. It's tough to beat a Cummins in my opinion.

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
23,000 miles on my 2014 and extremely happy with performance but I'm comparing to a 2004 8.1 gas that this truck replaced. DEF Fluid no hassle at all and 2.5 gallons last a full oil change of 6000 miles. Really loving the 15 mpg in city, 19.5 empty on highway, and 10-12mpg with trailer depending on wind. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:

You know I agree for the most part but the real answer is father time. SCR is only what about a 4 year adventure for the big three.
The OTR trucks seem to be doing fine so maybe the same will happen with the newer pickup. Anything is better than the 2008-2010 years :W
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:

X 3.

I'm a Ford man more than anything but I'd be happy with any of them.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:

X2. Boils down to what YOU want to spend YOUR money on! They're all pretty decent.

Dan