Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your speed uphill?

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are new to the 5th wheel world.

My 32ft MH f450 was very slow going up hills (6%). It will keep 45mph.

Our 2021 F150 32ft TT combo could do 65mph on the same hills with ease.

I don't want to win any races but I hated the motorhome going up hill and loved the F150 with the TT.

We now have a 2022 Ram 3500 4.1 gears Diesel LB and are buying a 44ft 5th wheel (14,000 dry).

Most videos I have seen (2019) have people flooring the RAM and getting to 45mph on 6% hills towing 28K lbs. What can I expect towing 16k? Does the RAM have enough power to keep up good speed going up hill? If so, what are you towing and what is your tow vehicle?

It looks like newer F350 and F450 can get up to 70mph up hills better than RAM 3500 but the stuff I have been watching could be biased. What is your experience?

Thanks

MC
61 REPLIES 61

Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
And remember there are some trucks that may pull the hill a bit slower, but will do it reliably mile after mile, year after year....;)

Care to share a picture of your odometer?

At almost 10 years old this truck continues to pull like a train mile after mile and year after year. Engine/Transmission hasn't been touched to date. AC compressor and alternator were the two biggest repairs to date and still original water pump. Also you can add 5-6k more miles since this picture was taken.

Also the 2020-2022 Power Strokes have proven to be the most fuel efficient diesel and the Ram has the best exhaust brake.

On 3.15.2022 Fish said something nice about RAM, I will put a star on my calendar marking the day.

:B :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fast up hill burns a lot of fuel.
Once a friend with diesel/heavy TT and I where travelling together. We pulled into a overlook after he was showing off, pulling away from me on a pretty good pull. There was a little sand on the pavement where we pulled in. We noticed the rear tires on his pickup had a lot more sand stuck to them compared to the 6 on mine, and the other 6 on his. I believe that when he pulled in the tread of drive tires where hot to the point of tacky.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 30' Toy Hauler filled with 3 dirt bikes, 100G water, generators, fire wood, fuel, ect and with my old truck on uphills I have to drop it out of overdrive so tend to be around 45-55mph uphill.

Our trailer has flipped axels and while it pulls fine at 65 it tends to get a bit squirrelly so I don't push it even on the flats.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
And remember there are some trucks that may pull the hill a bit slower, but will do it reliably mile after mile, year after year....;)

At almost 10 years old this truck continues to pull like a train mile after mile and year after year. Engine/Transmission hasn't been touched to date. AC compressor and alternator were the two biggest repairs to date and still original water pump. Also you can add 5-6k more miles since this picture was taken.

Also the 2020-2022 Power Strokes have proven to be the most fuel efficient diesel and the Ram has the best exhaust brake.

On 3.15.2022 Fish said something nice about RAM, I will put a star on my calendar marking the day.

Lol!
He’s been a closet Ram fan for years…don’t let him fool ya!

Cheers, Fish!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
speediq99 wrote:
Thank you for sharing this information.

The reason for this question is that we ordered two trucks, a RAM 3500 DRW LB and an F350 DRW LB. The RAM came in first so we took it. The Ford is getting built. From the sound of responses, it sounds like either truck will do just fine.

MC

I don't think uphill towing performance would be a determining factor with those two trucks, both should perform about the same. The Ram probably has an advantage downhill with the exhaust brake and definitely has an advantage with the CP3 pump vs the CP4 pump that Ford continues to use. The Ford has a better transmission and is probably a more reliable truck minus the engine. They're both good options overall.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
speediq99 wrote:
What can I expect towing 16k? Does the RAM have enough power to keep up good speed going up hill?

Speed you go up hill depends on how far down you mash the skinny pedal. .:D:D:D:D

When I tow uphill, Faster speed = higher ECT, higher trans temps, higher EGTs, so I base my speed off those numbers. I adjust my speed and the gear I put the trans in to keep those numbers in check, especially the ECT and EGT.

Get a monitor that plugs in to the OBDII port. I have an Edge Insight CTS2. Current model is the CTS3
Bob

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
speediq99 wrote:
Most videos I have seen (2019) have people flooring the RAM and getting to 45mph on 6% hills towing 28K lbs. What can I expect towing 16k?

More than 45MPH most likely.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
speediq99 wrote:

The reason for this question is that we ordered two trucks, a RAM 3500 DRW LB and an F350 DRW LB. The RAM came in first so we took it. The Ford is getting built. From the sound of responses, it sounds like either truck will do just fine.

MC

If the market in the US is even close to the Canadian market you'd be money ahead running the Ram till the Ford comes in, then sell the Ram, buy the Ford and pocket the difference.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
speediq99 wrote:

MC

Is the DRW RAM an AISIN with the highest HP/TQ or the 68RFE.

If you happen to tow in REAL mountains like the West Coast has to offer the downhill holding of the RAM is unbeatable. If you want a race car going up 6-7% grades the Ford may do better.

Maybe you should keep both.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going up hill tends to be slower than going downhill. But if you have a monster truck then

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II

MC

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would worry less about getting up the hill than coming down the other side! You speak of coming from Glacier to the NW Oregon Coast. Assuming I90 through Montana and Idaho, the west side of Lookout Pass is a long and steep this is where that Ram exhaust Brake will keep your speed in check.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
My 15 ram 385 ho dually pulled a combined 26500-27000 lbs with ease travelling all over BC and southern states.Generally pulled at 65-70,an absolute pleasure to tow with.