cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best way to heat camper between uses

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
My NL camper doesn't have an indoor stall to live in, so it's going to be outside and covered with a possible roof. We are just finishing our first weekend in it and I'm noticing how condensation builds overnight. I'll be getting a humidity control on the way back (probably a bucket o' desiccant), but I'm also wondering about the temperature inside.

Do I need to get the temp up so the moisture will evaporate so the desiccant can do its thing? If so, do you suggest using the propane heater or an electric space heater? Propane itself is cheaper, but that adds hours to the furnace and also moisture to the air. Space heaters are inefficient, but for a small space with no wear on the camper it actually could be the cost effective approach.
25 REPLIES 25

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since most campers are not hermetically sealed, moisture from outside will continually equalize with the inside. Remove some moisture and more will seep in.

Condensation occurs when the surfaces of the camper reaches the dewpoint of the air inside. Mold and mildew do not need condensation, just a moist (high relative humidity) environment, even if it is only a few hours each night.

Heating the inside air lowers relative humidity (keeps air temperature further above the dewpoint). Warmer air can "carry" more moisture.

I use a small tabletop dehumidifier with a timer to come on in the evening for about 8 hours. This is when temperature is lowest and relative humidity is highest.

Some of these small peltier junction dehumidifiers can also run on 12 volts with the right adapter. They have a small reservoir that needs to be dumped occasionally. They are $30-$50 and seem to last about 2-4 years. I just replaced mine.

Hope this helps,
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
I use a dehumidifier in my NL to keep the moisture in check while it's stored. I set it near the back door, so it's easy to empty.
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I run a heat lamp in a cheap clamp-on fixture in mine and it stays dry and doesn't freeze over.
I'm in the Pacific Northwest, it gets down to 15 or 20 in the winter and it rains a whole lot.
I used to just use a regular 100-watt light bulb but those have gotten awful hard to find.

LEDs aren't always the answer... I'm so sad for all those future kids eating raw soggy cake mix from their EZ-Bake ovens...
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
First the only heaters that add humidity to the air are catalytic heaters. Electric and the furnace in your camper do not add humidity.

You are seeing humidity as you are living in it. What I do is once home I open the windows and the vents for a few hours or a day (if no rain is forecast) then I close it up. If it is suppose to be dry I will leave a window and a vent open a little but that is it.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

BigBlockFord
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob- Ditto here... cracking two vents and a small side window works great regardless of weather conditions. I don't add dehumidifier or desiccant, not that either would hurt provided they were serviced regularly.

Conversely, I attempted the 'sealed' technique (shut roof vents & windows, then covered with tarp) with the prior rig... nothing but mildew and mold come spring. Never again... conclusion, gotta let them breathe!

I will say, my Pa-in-Law does a bit of a combination of dehumidifier, desiccant, and cracking a vent; he's never had a problem despite also being in the PNW

BBF
1995 F350, 4x4, CC, 460, E4OD w/ Banks PowerPak & TransCommand, factory LS & F/R sway bars, 08+SD finned DC, 9000XL's, airbags
2011 AF990, 2-GRP 27's, 320W Solar, SS-Duo

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not in it during storage and it is covered (roof) you can leave the ceiling vents open with no heat and it will stay dry.

Condinsation developers when there is a difference in temperature. So if you equalize the temperature inside an out, no condinsation.

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
I use a dehumidifier from west marine.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a couple of these low profile oil filled heaters and they would work great for something like that.

With no visible flame or red hot cores makes them safe as can be sitting there unattended...

These 14-inch tall units were got for my POPUP trailer and are just the perfect height to sit one of those 10-inch O2COOL Battery/12V/120V portable fans behind it if you need to move some heated air around...

These THERMO CUBES are neat to have as well... I plug in a couple of the 100WATT incandescent bulbs in them behind the cabinet doors. These come on when the temp drops to 35degrees and stays on until it gets up to 45 degrees...

This is my plan of attack for sitting parked here over the winter months...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have used a small Pelonis electric heater all winter turned down very low. It has kept the camper dry as a bone and costs very little to run.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dehumidifiers work wonders. You don't need heat. Heat will create moisture which will create that damp feeling. Dessicant works but I'd a pain to deal with. If you have power available a real dehumidifier is all you need.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
keep the interior of the camper above the dew point. I'd use electric heat and/or a dehumidifier.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.