cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the longest you've stayed at one CG?

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Other than seasonal campers, I was wondering what is the longest you guys have left your TT at one CG? In my 25 years of RVing, we've never stayed in one site for more than a week at a time. Then again, I don't take long vacations due to work.

One of the CGs we like in south Jersey offers a special rate for a month stay (about $750). Since the CG is only about an hour from home, we could get a lot of use out of it between all the family members. My wife could stay there almost full time, and me and my daughters could get down there working around our job schedules.

I still have to get all the details and restrictions (sometimes they charge extra for anyone over 18), and whether DW could have her sister or cousin come down and stay a few nights.

The CG has a very nice pool, which we do not have at home any longer. It also has a lot of community type activities, which we don't tend to partake in (but may if we'll be down there for a month).
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?
38 REPLIES 38

Sondy132001
Explorer
Explorer
7 days, our honeymoon last December it rained the whole time and it was so much fun !

http://www.casparbeachrvpark.com/Westport.html

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
We are all over the place on length of stays. We are very active folks, and RV for the travelling and exploring reasons, not just following the weather. We like to have lots to see and do, not the types to sit outside our RV each day because in a warm area, need to have things of interest to see and do, and get bored pretty quickly. So ......

Generally mid size attraction areas = 3 to 5 nights absolute max. First time to Vegas 10 days as plenty to explore, now we stop for 3 nights max enroute heading home. Lake Havasu for fishing 4 to 6 nights heading south and same again heading back North, meets hubby's need. LA week, NYC Liberty Harbour 3 to 4 nights cram packed exhausting days to get a flavour of the Big Apple, if not as expensive as it is for a dumpsite type RV location, would love to stay for a couple weeks to truly explore slower and savour more of NYC.

When we become FT in a couple of years, I can see our first winter season changing this all up somewhat. A week in some locations and a few days in others, and probably by our third or fourth year FTing I can see us spending a week or two max in many return attraction areas, likely where hubby can fish and I can kayak and walk. We diaries every trip since we started RVing back in the 90's and have stringent notes on areas we'd love to go back and spend longer in, so we can see it all changing with longer stays the longer we are out on the road.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Bill & Kate wrote:
Doug33 wrote:
Bill & Kate wrote:
Come on down! The Jersey Cape is a great place to camp in the summer. There are like 30 campgrounds and 25,000 campsites in Cape May County, and bet 70% of them are seasonal rentals. Just like having a summer home, but you afford it ...

We are now retired, and stay for as long as we want, but when we were vacationing, we moved every 2-4 days. Now we are a month here, two weeks there, until summer comes and we are back home to the beach.

The CG we are considering is in Mays Landing. The CGs down in the Cape May area are generally very expensive, and get very crowded. Some are very nice, and some are a not so much. As you said, there are many to choose from, although ironically none of them stay open past early October.

They close because the local zoning ordinances require them to - don't want them to turn into year round trailer parks.

Interesting - I didn't know that. I assumed they closed down because business slowed down in October.
Equalizer hitch

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:
Bill & Kate wrote:
Come on down! The Jersey Cape is a great place to camp in the summer. There are like 30 campgrounds and 25,000 campsites in Cape May County, and bet 70% of them are seasonal rentals. Just like having a summer home, but you afford it ...

We are now retired, and stay for as long as we want, but when we were vacationing, we moved every 2-4 days. Now we are a month here, two weeks there, until summer comes and we are back home to the beach.

The CG we are considering is in Mays Landing. The CGs down in the Cape May area are generally very expensive, and get very crowded. Some are very nice, and some are a not so much. As you said, there are many to choose from, although ironically none of them stay open past early October.

They close because the local zoning ordinances require them to - don't want them to turn into year round trailer parks.
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
B.O. Plenty wrote:
3 months as a snowbird this Winter. Was REALLY ready to move at the end of it. Saw all we wanted to see. Next year it will be no more than a month at any of three different places...I wish RV parks had more for guys to do. I don't need potlucks and line dance lessons.

B.O.

My dad used to go every year and looked forward to it,6 months at a time. I couldn't handle it. Never done it and never will. The only way I would have then, would have been the Blm stay he talked about out in the boonies.

I've done many 6~12 month stays in the boonies working. The mountains never get old to me.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Bill & Kate wrote:

Equalizer hitch

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 months as a snowbird this Winter. Was REALLY ready to move at the end of it. Saw all we wanted to see. Next year it will be no more than a month at any of three different places...I wish RV parks had more for guys to do. I don't need potlucks and line dance lessons.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Bruce_H_
Explorer
Explorer
Four nights. Ben Franklin famously said that Fish and Guests begin to stink after three days. That's our feeling about campgrounds too! We get restless and want to move on after the third night.

Bruce
2012 Lance 1575 TT pulled by 2013 4WD Expedition with HD Tow Package

mikensallyt
Explorer
Explorer
Wished I could stay longer than a weekend and more often, maybe soon though now that summer is almost here. Let's see if my son can handle it (16 yo teenager), if he cant he can stay at home on the next trip, lol. I just like to get away and enjoy the time with someone else or by myself. Campfires, cooking outside, small bon fires, roasted marsh mellows, small hikes (walking), silence and the sounds of nature around.
Retired USN 1996, RMCS(SW/AW)
Traveling solo in my 2015 Thor Challenger since my wife of 25 years went solo to the Lord
Seems like every trip out there's a warranty repair on it afterwards
F/T in two years from now. Last child to graduate first.

fly-swatter
Explorer
Explorer
Usually 4 or 5 nights then it's time to move on.
2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2012 Flagstaff 8524RLS

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we were in some of the Florida CGs, they had Daily, Monthly and Yearly rates for snow birds.

Our stays are usually a week or less.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
4 months

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer
Often the monthly rate is about the same as two weeks of nightly regular rates. If we think we would like to explore an area for 2.5 or 3 weeks (or more) we will pay the monthly rate and take the pressure off having to leave on a certain day. That way we can go when the weather gives us the best travel day.
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2024 Grand Design 22MLE
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer

Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel