cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your longest TC trip?

gorohoff
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious to hear about peoples longest trip they've taken in their truck camper? You don't hear about full timers in tuck campers a lot, but I know they're out there. Other than the obvious problems with small living space and limited holding tanks, I'm curious what were some of the other challenges that were faced when living for a long time in a truck camper.
-Andrew

"For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled."
-Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot
64 REPLIES 64

cdbinns
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from our longest trip from Maine to Alaska and back. A little over 15,000 miles in 3 months, 20 days. We really enjoyed it, but probably won't take a trip that long again.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
One my longest trip in days is around 7 which is also the length of time I generally take off at once from work. Distance is around 1800 miles counting some driving around time.

I wouldn't personally choose a TC for full timing unless I knew I could gain an advantage of the size that outweighed the disadvantage of being small. That said, it's great for a weekend trip.

For a family, everything is too small. For a couple, I'd really prefer a smaller Class A for long trips with long duration or pickup with fifth wheel. Of course, the best is have all types and choose the right tool for the particular trip.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

6pac
Explorer
Explorer
We lived in our camper for 13 weeks going from Florida to Alaska an back . Then a few years later . We went back doing the same trip for our daughter an granddaughter . On another trip we went out west this time we also towed a popup trailer for a part of the family (5) in the party for a total of 6 weeks . A year later we went up the east coast to the Big Apple another 6 weeks towing that same popup .After all the fun trips we had to use our camper as a second home in a campground in Jupiter this for the last 3 years .Just in the last year we sold our home and used our camper as living quarters till we found a house DW liked unfortunately it had to be completely gutted thus more Time in the camper. So for those of you that are thinking of time in your camper .IT'S FUN !
Happy Traveling
PS . At present our camper is in storage as I under go test on my ticker. Hope?
Chevy 2006 2500HD 4 x 4 Duramax / Allison srw cc sb Fh air bags
Lance 2005 model 881 Max
Doriece & Ernest ( 6pac )

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Vince, (starcraft) I sent you a PM.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
This summer we did 6,700 mi. In 31 days. ??. Went to Niagra Falls to start, down to OH. To visit our daughter, then across "Da Plains" to meet my brother in Glacier N. P. Then a nice easy ride back on 2 to U. P. And back home. Great trip. Can't wait for Mama to retire, then we'll be able to take some longer trips.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
jefe when will you be in hope valley the wife and I go every year this time for fall colors maybe see you there
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Bryan, you certainly have a way with words. I loved the 2009 kicker. Do you have any estimate of your miles covered since 2009? I know you tried to stay with a $ budget on fuel use, but now that diesel is cheeper again, has that allowed you to cover more miles yourself, or do you stick with a slow, deliberate pace in covering the mountains majesty and across the fruited plain?
Our longest trip in the TC was early on in 2003 with a 9000 mile, 32 day round trip from L.A. to Coldfoot (at the foot of the Brooks range above the Arctic Circle) and back covering about 2500 miles of dirt and gravel roads in BC, NWT, and AK.
Jeanie and I are packing up for our first TC trip of the season going to Hope Valley in the Sierra Nevada for 4 days. We'll get to tryout the many upgrades I've made to the 'Rig' during that off-road adventure.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! Glad you are having a great and wonderful time. 5,000 miles in two months is a pretty busy time on the road. Hopefully your travels slows so as to see many more places that are being missed. But, life is short and there is certainly a lot to see.

I started my latest TC Trip in June and have had just an outstanding time. Seeing the beauty of this wonderful country, eating at many wonderful small town cafes and camping at even more locations where the brightest light I see for the night are the carpet of stars over my head. I see no reason or time to stop this latest TC Trip, as I hope you won't either. When I said my TC Trip began in June, I should have stated too, June of 2009.

Keep enjoying your adventure and remain safe and make memories with those young travelers.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

gorohoff
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I would revive this dead thread just long enough to give folks an update. When I started the thread I was curious about peoples experiences of spending longer periods of time living in a truck camper. At the time I started this thread I had plans of living for the better part of a year with my family in a truck camper seeing the USA and Canada. Well we've now been at it since August 28. My wife and I and my two daughters (8 and 11) in a wolf creek 850. I figure we've done a little over 5,000 going from Seattle to southeast Alaska, down thought the Canadian Rockies into Montana, and east to where we are now on the western shore of Lake Michigan north of Green Bay. Here's the blog if your curious http://www.yeartrip.net.
-Andrew

"For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled."
-Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

2oldnslow
Explorer
Explorer
I did about 13,500 miles over 5 months this year, Arizona to Wisconsin and back via Montana, Idaho, and Nevada. It was a good summer.
2005 GMC 2500HD
1998 Lance 845
320AHr Battery Bank
400W Solar Array
Morningstar ProStar 30 PWM Controller
NovaKool R5810 5.8cf 12VDC Refridgerator (best mod ever!)

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
I did 4500 miles in 10 days with the wife, two boys (9 and 7) and a 11 year old Golden. South Florida to Quebec. Going to do it again next year.
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

Harleybullet
Explorer
Explorer
Us at a clip....have been wintering in Az for the last few years and it is about 6,000 miles each time.ually 6 weeks to 3 months. Never a problem for the 2 uf us..... plenty to see on the road and interesting people we corrospond with for the rest of the year. Have met people from our first travels after years on the road. Always come home with plenty of "bargains" from the road. We have given up short week or weekend trips and just keep going and going now.

kayco53
Explorer
Explorer
It was Vancouver BC down to Baja Mexico for a month and back to Vancouver.Like the freedom of the TC over our trailer.
2007 GMC 2500hd
2011 Creekside 23RKS

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
Just back from 75 days on the road from MA to AK, OR, and back in our Northstar Igloo 9.5 hard side. 12000+ miles and smiles. What a blast!

BobTowne
Explorer
Explorer
31 days, 8000 miles, 4 of us in our '72 Pilgrim to Alaska and back. Wonderful!
GreatWhite
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quadcab Dually
2004 Alpenlite Santa Fe 1150